Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Letter received today from Conservative MP for Weaden - f***ing bad news

3gulls

Banned
Jul 26, 2004
BensGrandad said:
If this MP is correct, which I doubt why bother to have the next inquiry it is obviously rubbish.

To keep the leftie Brighton fans onside untill after the Election? ??? You cannot trust this Government. :nono:

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Large One, Hendry may be a bandwagon jumper but I doubt it. I'm sure he's got bigger concerns of his own than our stadium. I find the fact that he is so candid about the likelihood of a Falmer NO a tad worrying.

As regards Caplin, I'd expect him to be in a better position than Hendry to find out what's happening with Falmer. After all, it concerns him as a Labour M.P in Brighton now, whereas it is less of a concern for Hendry. Surely they would have spoken about the issue in general terms in the House or the Party Conference?

With regard to my last point, if you were going to reject it you would obviously do it after the election. Prescott is a political creature and must realise that he would severely piss off the Sussex Labour Party by announcing a NO beforehand. However, a YES vote would be a vote winner, therefore if it is to be YES then it makes sense to do it before the election.

You say I implied that it was a purely political decision. Well, it's down to one man, and he's one of the vainest, most politically motivated bloke in the House.

Pavilionaire said:
Certainly, if we haven't found out before the election I'd expect a NO vote.
The question of whether we get a decision before the election depends entirely on when the Inquiry ends and when the election is held.

I wouldn't be at all surprised to find that the delaying tactics of Lewes District Council (and the money that they are spending to assemble hostile evidence) mean that the Inquiry over-runs.

The Inspector has SIX WEEKS from the end of the Inquiry to write his report and submit it to the Office of the Deputy Prime Minister.

They then have to read it, analyse it and come to a conclusion about what recommendation they need to put to Prescott.

IF the election is called for 5 May, Prescott is unable to announce any decision within four weeks of polling day.

Work out the arithmetic yourselves ...

... We will NOT get a decision before any election held on Thursday 5 May.

But DON'T turn that fact into a gloomy prognostication that it is bound to be NO.

Last edited:

Pavilionaire said:
You say I implied that it was a purely political decision. Well, it's down to one man, and he's one of the vainest, most politically motivated bloke in the House.
Whilst the decision is made by the Deputy Prime Minister, he has a duty to ensure that the planning issues are properly dealt with in accordance with planning law.

If he ONLY takes account of political considerations (like the electability of Labour MPs), he would be challenged through the courts. And the challenge would be successful.

The Government employs top lawyers to advise ministers that this is the case.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Eagles#1 has kindly done a link to this thread on behalf of the BBS Palace fans. Mass gloating is happening as we speak.
:wave:

Dec 30, 2004
3gulls said:
To keep the leftie Brighton fans onside untill after the Election? ??? You cannot trust this Government. :nono:
And you really think that one seat in the south of england is that important to labour and t.blair that they are going to f.. about with enquiries.It may be important to you but it does not rate a ripple in the general scheme of things.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
iaindowieisugly said:
And you really think that one seat in the south of england is that important to labour and t.blair that they are going to f.. about with enquiries.It may be important to you but it does not rate a ripple in the general scheme of things.

Thanks for that.:lolol:

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
basically its all bollocks! its total crap.

its a typical lying tory scum.

remember Jonathon Aitkin. tried to sue the guardian for libel? ended up they were right and his greed got him sent down.

or Jeffrey Archer

Ive spoken to a few political experts on this..and its just tory crap..trust me

and prescott doesnt make the decision!

its the civil service

Aug 9, 2003
East Sussex
Stumpy Tim said:
I would send a copy to Ivor Caplin & ask for an explanation. He will then know you have a copy of the letter which could embarrass the Labour government in the future

Excellent idea.

Exactly the right way to put a little pressure on the government, and let them know that we have been informed by an MP in writing of this rumour (I.e, if there is any truth in it we know about it, in which case they may need to make sure it doesn't come true).

sullyupthewing

Jul 5, 2003
brighton and worthing
iaindowieisugly said:

Wrong, you ugly bastard, do your homework before you post

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I do not see what New Labour would gain from waiting until after the election to say no.

Who would they be pleasing? A couple of hundred staunch tory voters?

I expect a yes AFTER the election because the promise of a stadium could see them hold onto key votes in a constituency that is showing signs of turning against them over the Iraq situation.

If they say Yes before the election then people dont need to vote Labour because they already have the stadium and so could use the vote to register their upset with Iraq.

mrhairy

Sep 4, 2004
Brighton
We also need to send a copy to The Sun. We all know what the paper is like but they are great at making issues out of things like this. Also please send a copy to Dick Knight. If you do not want to. Can I or someone else do it. It would be great to get The Sun on our side.

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
erm. today a tory MP attacked dick and dom in da bungalow.

this is how much respect we should give this party!

its talking crap. dont get worried

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Pavilionaire said:
Large One, Hendry may be a bandwagon jumper but I doubt it. I'm sure he's got bigger concerns of his own than our stadium. I find the fact that he is so candid about the likelihood of a Falmer NO a tad worrying.
But as I said before - he is NOT in a position to know. No-one is. Prescott could easily have said no last year.

Pavilionaire said:
As regards Caplin, I'd expect him to be in a better position than Hendry to find out what's happening with Falmer. After all, it concerns him as a Labour M.P in Brighton now, whereas it is less of a concern for Hendry. Surely they would have spoken about the issue in general terms in the House or the Party Conference?
Not really, because there was nothing new between Prescott's announcement of the new Public Inquiry, and the Labour Party Conference. Anything new would now be in the hands of the Planning Inspectorate, not the ODPM - and certainly not in the hands of a non-entity of a Tory backbencher.

Pavilionaire said:
With regard to my last point, if you were going to reject it you would obviously do it after the election. Prescott is a political creature and must realise that he would severely piss off the Sussex Labour Party by announcing a NO beforehand. However, a YES vote would be a vote winner, therefore if it is to be YES then it makes sense to do it before the election.

But that in no way follows that it would be a NO vote after the election. And as has been stated before, this is not a political decision. If it was, it would guarantee a judicial review which would come out against us.

Anyway, if this was Prescott's thinking, it would be political suicide for the Labour Party. They may or may not lose none, one, two or all three city MPs, but MORE important than that is the political make-up of Brighton & Hove City Council, which at present Labour is the largest party, but it does not have the majority.

Brighton & Hove City Council often plays host to the government's 'pet projects'. It attracts funding because of the political landscape here. The Labour government would be FAR more keen to hold on to a Labour-controlled council than worry about the three sitting MPs.

In that sense, Iandoweisugly is right, the govt won't care too much about Turner and Lepper. Prescott may be vain, but he isn't THAT stupid.

Last edited:

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Let's be honest and open about the facts as they stand.

A lot of evidence has already been presented to the powers that be, enough for them to have formed an opinion that either

a) Falmer is not viable, or

b) It's not ideal but better than anything else and, in the circumstances, we'll give it the green light and hope all goes well.

Assuming for one minute that either a or b apply, surely someone somewhere has an inkling of the way things are going are present ? Too many people have a vested interest in the outcome for everyone still to be in the dark at this late stage.

I look at Caplin resigning his seat and I look at this letter from Hendry. I then consider the fire sale of Currie and Cullip and the cap in hand begging letter from the club, and it all points to a NO. Christ, if someone like Hendry has heard something surely Knight, Perry, Caplin et al must have some idea?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here