Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Let's have some respect for McGhee

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Pavilionaire said:
Right, one at a time:

1. A low budget alone will not prevent quality from coming. Wrexham have signed 2 young Prem players who are now doing the business regularly, and they're in worse shit than us.

Is it not obvious that strikers who will score in League Two are a lot easier to find than Championship strikers. Look at Knight he went from scoring 20+ in League One (a level above) to 9 in a year and a half at Championship level. Your comparison is pointless.

Stinky Kat

Tripping
Oct 27, 2004
Catsfield
3. He has not walked away from this club, like the 4 big names before him.

Well who has been mad enough to offer him a post?

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Finchley Seagull said:
Is it not obvious that strikers who will score in League Two are a lot easier to find than Championship strikers. Look at Knight he went from scoring 20+ in League One (a level above) to 9 in a year and a half at Championship level. Your comparison is pointless.

I do not overly want to get into the Knight thing, but even in League One (or whatever it was called at the time) under McGhee his goals from open play did dry up and some of this has to be put down to the change of system.

Last edited:

D

Deleted member 2719

Icy Gull said:
to suggest that he puts his ego in front of picking the best team. If you really believe that you are suggesting a shocking lack of professionalism.

Sorry but i am suggesting it and yes you are right it is a shocking lack of professionalism.

I am sure DK will kick him out as soon as it is financially possible.

Sid James

Nov 14, 2005
Icy Gull said:
It would certainly suit all McGhee's detractors to suggest that he puts his ego in front of picking the best team. If you really believe that you are suggesting a shocking lack of professionalism. I somehow doubt DK would tolerate that in a manager and am astounded that anyone really thinks it is a possibilty that would be allowed to happen given how this club has been run in the last 10 years.

Desperate and petty smearing indeed.

Nail firmly hit on the head.

Rougvie

Rising Damp
Aug 29, 2003
Hove, f***ing ACTUALLY.
Icy Gull said:
It would certainly suit all McGhee's detractors to suggest that he puts his ego in front of picking the best team. If you really believe that you are suggesting a shocking lack of professionalism. I somehow doubt DK would tolerate that in a manager and am astounded that anyone really thinks it is a possibilty that would be allowed to happen given how this club has been run in the last 10 years.
Desperate and petty smearing indeed.

Although I want McGhee removed, i'ts difficult to be always critical on his treatment of players, I think dicipline is a good quality to have as he must have learned that from managers he played under such as Ferguson, Billy McNeil etc who ruled with a rod of iron and produced amazingly diciplined Scottish sides that were regularly in European semi finals.

The only drawback for us is that due to our squad size (and its no smaller than some other sides in our division) there simply cannot be falling outs that seem to occour on a regular basis as we need every fit player to be available.

Sid James

Nov 14, 2005
So you agree with a disciplined approach and at the same time use that method as another stick to beat him with.

Last edited:

Rougvie

Rising Damp
Aug 29, 2003
Hove, f***ing ACTUALLY.
Sid James said:
So you agree with a disciplined approach and at the same time use that method as another stick to beat him with.

Mickey Adams once said he had to adapt his managerial style to compensate for the size of squad we had.

No point in having the bare minimum of players to choose from, just to make your point.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Sid James said:

To be fair to Rougvie, he does concede ground on some points and his opinion is as valid as anyones. It's the posters who paint MM as some egotistical devil incarnate and give him absolutely no credit at all for anything except f***ing up our season that amaze me. Promotion and staying in this division, against the odds outweigh the faults he may have, the guy is human, of course he makes mistakes and he also admits them quite often. I personally can't ask for any more in a manager at this club.

Sid James

Nov 14, 2005
Rougvie said:
Mickey Adams once said he had to adapt his managerial style to compensate for the size of squad we had.

No point in having the bare minimum of players to choose from, just to make your point.

History rewritten. Mickey Adams = the players mate.

Sid James

Nov 14, 2005
Icy Gull said:
To be fair to Rougvie, he does concede ground on some points and his opinion is as valid as anyones. It's the posters who paint MM as some egotistical devil incarnate and give him absolutely no credit at all for anything except f***ing up our season that amaze me. Promotion and staying in this division, against the odds outweigh the faults he may have, the guy is human, of course he makes mistakes and he also admits them quite often. I personally can't ask for any more in a manager at this club.

A much better reply than mine.

Rougvie

Rising Damp
Aug 29, 2003
Hove, f***ing ACTUALLY.
Sid James said:
History rewritten. Mickey Adams = the players mate.

I dont agree, he had a different style of dealing with players which didnt involve going to the press then blanking them for a few weeks before realising, SHIT, I need you more than you need me !!

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Since MM took over we have received more money than we have spent on players in the squad and we are in a higher position in the League.

FACT

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The Large One said:
The return of one of the one-eyed beasts frothing at the mouth...

1. So what? What are you saying does prevent quality from coming here?

2. What makes you think he wants to change the manager? I expect he does have an idea "...how long he'll give him..."?, and at present it's the end of next season. Sacking doesn't appear to be on the agenda. It's you that trying to put it there, not the chairman.

3. What's his charisma got to do with it? He's a businessman. And, anyway, have you ever met Derek Chapman? :rolleyes:

Us being at Withdean GUARANTEES that the directors will not get a return. It doesn't matter what division we are in (save the Premiership, which is clearly beyond us at present), or who the manager is, even if we had Arsene Wenger as manager, none of the investors are expecting to see their money again. They knew that when they put their money in. Backing or not backing Mark McGhee is going to make f*** all difference to their investment.

Any that do ask for their money back would be doing so at a risk of bankrupting the club. Now who is going to put their head above the parapet first?

4. Ah, so you think the players that spoke highly of Mark McGhee shouldn't be trusted or believed? Silly me.

:nono:

1. A number of reasons prevents quality coming here, one of which is a reluctance to play under McGhee.

2. I'm not saying he wants to change the manager, I'm saying poor results will put it on the agenda regardless.

I'm sure it didn't occur to DK that Hinshelwood would be sacked after 12 games when he appointed him but results dictated the appointment be reviewed, then as they got worse, terminated. We're certainly at the "review" stage now.

3. If McGhee is going to persuade Knight to retain his services for the duration of his contract it's likely he'll have to sell his plan for 2006/07 to DK, and I don't think he'll got the charm and wit of an Adams, or the intellect of a Coppell, to help him.

If you've invested in a Championship club that has planning permission for a new stadium it is quite conceivable that you will make a healthy return on your investment in the club. Gaydamak at Portsmouth shows that there are rich investors willing to put money into clubs that have potential.

Alternatively, a Falmer No and lower league football will mean nobody will be interested in buying shares in the club.

4. No, I don't really. Footballers are paid to play football, not give speeches.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
London Irish said:
This is an example where you go way over the top, and you do great damage to your credibility as someone trying to make some serious points about the Albion's current plight.

There is not a shred of evidence that McGhee has fallen out with Reid. I don't doubt Reid's hardly overjoyed at not getting picked, as is Nicolas, as is every player worth their salt! But the allegations that Reid has had a bust-up with McGhee is just a few mischievous kids on here making stuff up. Frankly, shame on you for swallowing such crud.

LI, as a 37-year old professional bloke and university graduate I enjoy a good debate, and feel I can get a point across without taking it personally if somebody (shudder!) dares to disagree with me.

However, I have yet to converse with anyone as PATRONISING as you in my life.

A quick look at the poll on Paul Reid will show you that the vast majority of Albion fans think there's been some crossed words between Reid and McGhee , and that Reid should be a fixture in this side.

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
WATFORD zero said:
Since MM took over we have received more money than we have spent on players in the squad and we are in a higher position in the League.

FACT

FACT ... but only for the next six matches!

Pavilionaire said:
LI, as a 37-year old professional bloke and university graduate I enjoy a good debate, and feel I can get a point across without taking it personally if somebody (shudder!) dares to disagree with me.

However, I have yet to converse with anyone as PATRONISING as you in my life.

A quick look at the poll on Paul Reid will show you that the vast majority of Albion fans think there's been some crossed words between Reid and McGhee , and that Reid should be a fixture in this side.

Ah, the old "patronising" bullshit, last refuge of a person without a shred of argument. Why not try "NURSE!" too, that's also popular with the NSC kids too at the mo.

You think that bent poll proves that Reid and McGhee have had a bust-up? Do you think if you had always applied that rigorous approach to evidence you would have got near a university or a profession?

Pavillionaire, you made some decent points previously in this thread, many of which I happened to agree with. You really do yourself no favours whatsoever by retreating into the juvenile world of immature gossip. On this bullshit about Reid, you are defending the indefensible.

Last edited:

Rougvie said:
Oh dear, the rose tinted view, shame you seem to be increasingly in isolation with your Seagulls World tainted version of events.

Many of the rumours on here start from somewhere, often days before they hit the internet, McGhee did fall out with Reid, its a FACT to what extent I dont know, personally i've heard that from the father of one of our better youth players so I take his word over the 'mischievious kids' on here.

Was this the same source that told you that we trained one day a week, something that you faithfully repeated on here? :)

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Pavilionaire said:

That's hardly a good indicator is it when a lot of people posted on that thread to say they wouldn't vote in such a one sided poll.

More Nsc myths being posted as fact. :rolleyes:

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Pavilionaire said:
1. A number of reasons prevents quality coming here, one of which is a reluctance to play under McGhee.

2. I'm not saying he wants to change the manager, I'm saying poor results will put it on the agenda regardless.

I'm sure it didn't occur to DK that Hinshelwood would be sacked after 12 games when he appointed him but results dictated the appointment be reviewed, then as they got worse, terminated. We're certainly at the "review" stage now.

3. If McGhee is going to persuade Knight to retain his services for the duration of his contract it's likely he'll have to sell his plan for 2006/07 to DK, and I don't think he'll got the charm and wit of an Adams, or the intellect of a Coppell, to help him.

If you've invested in a Championship club that has planning permission for a new stadium it is quite conceivable that you will make a healthy return on your investment in the club. Gaydamak at Portsmouth shows that there are rich investors willing to put money into clubs that have potential.

Alternatively, a Falmer No and lower league football will mean nobody will be interested in buying shares in the club.

4. No, I don't really. Footballers are paid to play football, not give speeches.

1. No evidence for that. It's only come from petty tittle-tattle on here.

2. Who says McGhee's future at the club is on the agenda? McGhee is judged on far more than results. Again, it's tittle-tattle. YOU might think it's on the agenda, you might even think it ought to be on the agenda, but that's not the case.

Hinshelwood was never the first choice. But he gave him every chance. However, when it was clear it wasn't working out, DK reverted to 'Plan A', so to speak, which was to finally get Coppell in, for which SC can consider himself lucky.

3. No, McGhee isn't going to have to 'sell his plan'. Dick Knight already has retained Mark McGhee's services. That's the idea of a contract - it GUARANTEES Mark McGhee the managerial role in club, and which, at present is not up for negotiation, and is valid until June 30, 2007. Those two talk to each other every day - this isn't going to be one of those 'watershed summits', or 'Red Letter Days'.

If you've invested in a Championship club that has planning permission for a new stadium it is quite conceivable that you will make a healthy return on your investment in the club.
Sorry, what? That return may come when the stadium is built. In three years' time. Therefore, what division we are in this season will have little bearing on that. As regards the directors, I cannot make this plainer. The directors are not expecting their money back. In one case, I know this for a fact.

To try and compare Portsmouth with Brighton is ludicrous. One is a Premiership club having TV money thrown at it. One is a lower-table Championship club with no prospect of complete financial stability until the end of the decade at the earliest.

4. No-one's 'given a speech'. This is from having conversations with them. In person.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here