Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Let's have some respect for McGhee

Race

The Tank Rules!
Aug 28, 2004
Hampshire
SI 4 BHA said:
So wtf do they do every day at training then - they certainly don't practice taking free kicks and corners. Can't remember the last time we got a free kick over the first defender! As a team with limited ability, surely this is one area the management could improve on as we have to try and make the most of any scraps we get! Shame they haven't got a clue.

You're trapping off at the wrong person I'm afraid.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Pavilionaire said:
He will also see senior players losing it with McGhee, and he will realise that it is virtually impossible to attract any players of quality to this football club right now.
It being virtually impossible to attract high-quality (as opposed to 'players of any quality) is not the fault of McGhee alone. Whoever is in charge on a budget the club can afford will have the same problem.

Pavilionaire said:
If Knight keeps faith with McGhee and we bounce back then he's saved a year's contract by not sacking him. However, if we continue to bomb we could just as easily slip into the bottom half of the Div 1 table.
That's a bloody big IF, and not worth considering one way or the other until the situation arises. I am amazed anyone is discussing it yet, when we are at least 6 months away from being '10 games into next season'. (Not your quotes, I know)

Pavilionaire said:
I think Dick Knight will be getting pressure from the board, some fans and a few players to make a change, and I think it's the hardest decision he's had to make since taking over as chairman.
He is unlikely to be getting pressure from the board, they are all fans and all in it together, all facng the same direction. They are not in it for the dosh, which they all know they are not going to see again. Which players will be pressurising Dick Knight to replace Mark McGhee? That's folly, especially when, and I quote 'Mark McGhee has the utmost respect of the changing room...' 'Some fans'? May look good for headlines, but not necessarily a sound basis for a business judgement.

Last edited:

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Pavilionaire said:
LI, what do you expect the players to say? That the manager is shit and they hate him?
No, but then no-one stuck a gun to their head to be forced to quote how much they genuinely admire him.

Pavilionaire said:
Let's take his previous employers Millwall. He was sacked for being a miserable bastard who nobody at the club liked from the chairman down to the tea lady, several players were pissed off with him.
Totally irrelevant to today. You're not comparing like with like. Brighton is Brighton, and Millwall is Millwall.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Right, one at a time:

1. A low budget alone will not prevent quality from coming. Wrexham have signed 2 young Prem players who are now doing the business regularly, and they're in worse shit than us.

2. Dick Knight has a duty to the club to prepare for eventualities such as a change of manager. He has to consider the cost of sacking McGhee now against the potential gain/loss if the new guy is good/bad - his call.

I'd EXPECT him to have some idea now of how long he'll give McGhee, even if he doesn't publicly declare it.

3. I very much doubt if the board are totally united behind McGhee, although we won't be told otherwise. They've put in thousands of their own money and to see us get relegated in this manner could put a few noses out of joint. The guy is hardly charismatic!

As for "not being in it for the dosh" it's one thing making a profit, it's another losing all the capital you've put in. If I was a board member with £500K of my money invested I wouldn't be confident backing McGhee for another year.

Lastly, players who say anything bad about their manager usually suffer, so I'd take any player comments with a pinch of salt.

As for McGhee's previous management performance, how can his track record not be relevant? It was the very reason Dick Knight hired him in the first place! The risk for Knight was not so much his capabilities as McGhee's communication skills. He has a track record of two or three years of success then breakdown.

I think previous form is crucial. We knew Romanov at Hearts was a kunt chairman and Rix a shit manager. Neither should have got involved, but they were prepared to forget the past and look what happened after only a few months!

Last edited:

seagulls4eva

Feb 7, 2006
Cumbria
Mark Mcghee has been a great manager he got us up into the Championship and kept us in it last year. Though were not so well this season and are probably goig to get relegated we were expected to have another relegation scrap. Mcghee has got us a striker on loan for the rest of the season (finally) even though it's a case of two little to late. It's not all Mghee's fault were in this situation it's the money as well. If we go down and do badly then we should sack Mcghee, but no one really expected us to stay up this season and least were not bottom. This season we managed to beat both Leeds and Palace (scum), who are both in the top half of the Championship.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
This thread makes me laugh.

Pavilionaire defends McGhee against some of the more ludicrous accusations while at the same time highlighting some of his flaws and the decision timescale Dick Knight might be looking at.

Is this a fairly balanced appraisal? Oh no, not on here these days. You end with two lots of one-eyed beasts frothing at the mouth.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Pavilionaire said:
Right, one at a time:

1. A low budget alone will not prevent quality from coming. Wrexham have signed 2 young Prem players who are now doing the business regularly, and they're in worse shit than us.

2. Dick Knight has a duty to the club to prepare for eventualities such as a change of manager. He has to consider the cost of sacking McGhee now against the potential gain/loss if the new guy is good/bad - his call.

I'd EXPECT him to have some idea now of how long he'll give McGhee, even if he doesn't publicly declare it.

3. I very much doubt if the board are totally united behind McGhee, although we won't be told otherwise. They've put in thousands of their own money and to see us get relegated in this manner could put a few noses out of joint. The guy is hardly charismatic!

As for "not being in it for the dosh" it's one thing making a profit, it's another losing all the capital you've put in. If I was a board member with £500K of my money invested I wouldn't be confident backing McGhee for another year.

Lastly, players who say anything bad about their manager usually suffer, so I'd take any player comments with a pinch of salt.

As for McGhee's previous management performance, how can his track record not be relevant? It was the very reason Dick Knight hired him in the first place! The risk for Knight was not so much his capabilities as McGhee's communication skills. He has a track record of two or three years of success then breakdown.
The return of one of the one-eyed beasts frothing at the mouth...

1. So what? What are you saying does prevent quality from coming here?

2. What makes you think he wants to change the manager? I expect he does have an idea "...how long he'll give him..."?, and at present it's the end of next season. Sacking doesn't appear to be on the agenda. It's you that trying to put it there, not the chairman.

3. What's his charisma got to do with it? He's a businessman. And, anyway, have you ever met Derek Chapman? :rolleyes:

Us being at Withdean GUARANTEES that the directors will not get a return. It doesn't matter what division we are in (save the Premiership, which is clearly beyond us at present), or who the manager is, even if we had Arsene Wenger as manager, none of the investors are expecting to see their money again. They knew that when they put their money in. Backing or not backing Mark McGhee is going to make f*** all difference to their investment.

Any that do ask for their money back would be doing so at a risk of bankrupting the club. Now who is going to put their head above the parapet first?

4. Ah, so you think the players that spoke highly of Mark McGhee shouldn't be trusted or believed? Silly me.

:nono:

Pavilionaire said:
Leon, McCammon, Kuipers, Chaigneau, Reid - enough smoke for even the faultiest of fire detectors in my opinion, although I acknowledge the first 4 of those players were out of order as well.

This is an example where you go way over the top, and you do great damage to your credibility as someone trying to make some serious points about the Albion's current plight.

There is not a shred of evidence that McGhee has fallen out with Reid. I don't doubt Reid's hardly overjoyed at not getting picked, as is Nicolas, as is every player worth their salt! But the allegations that Reid has had a bust-up with McGhee is just a few mischievous kids on here making stuff up. Frankly, shame on you for swallowing such crud.

sir danny cullip

Feb 14, 2004
Burgess Hill
Although i agree there is no direct evidence I would say something must be going on between MM and reidy. MM goes from playing reidy in every position and relying on him as well as praising him when he put in some very average performances at lb to not even inclluding him in a squad that is at best threadbare, and people think nothing is going on, i strongly disagree. With nicholas i think it may just be a case of MM not rating him but we KNOW for a FACT MM rates reidy and we can also safely assume that reidy has not stopped working hard and acting in a wholly professional manner. Also given that MM himself brought reidy to the club as a creative midfield player shows that MM is aware of the job that reidy can do in there and even he must realise that the centre of our midfield is struggling atm (especially chippy) and therefore reid would be the natural replacement to come in and shake things up a bit but it hasnt happened. Lets hope he plays at millwall in the middle of the midfield, for whatever reason i somehow doubt it.

Last edited:

sir danny cullip said:
Although i agree there is no direct evidence
Yes, I'm glad you agree. Nothing whatsover.

sir danny cullip

Feb 14, 2004
Burgess Hill
London Irish said:
Yes, I'm glad you agree. Nothing whatsover.

Given MM's record of falling out with players (even ones that he gave 3 year contracts to not so long ago) there doesnt need to be any evidence, people will come to their own conclusions and i would think the majority (certainly myself) believe MM has fallen out with Reidy. Poll might be worth a go actually.

sir danny cullip said:
Given MM's record of falling out with players, there doesnt need to be any evidence

:nono: :nono: :nono:

Utterly pathetic. But honest, I'll give you that. No pretence at fairness whatsoever.

Last edited:

Rougvie

Rising Damp
Aug 29, 2003
Hove, f***ing ACTUALLY.
London Irish said:
There is not a shred of evidence that McGhee has fallen out with Reid. I don't doubt Reid's hardly overjoyed at not getting picked, as is Nicolas, as is every player worth their salt! But the allegations that Reid has had a bust-up with McGhee is just a few mischievous kids on here making stuff up. Frankly, shame on you for swallowing such crud.

Oh dear, the rose tinted view, shame you seem to be increasingly in isolation with your Seagulls World tainted version of events.

Many of the rumours on here start from somewhere, often days before they hit the internet, McGhee did fall out with Reid, its a FACT to what extent I dont know, personally i've heard that from the father of one of our better youth players so I take his word over the 'mischievious kids' on here.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
I think Ried may have been unhappy at being dropped for a game, had a word and was punished for this by being left out for a few games. He then apologises to McGhee and is suddenyl back in contention for saturday. I see this as how McGhee works and wouldn't say it constitutes a falling out if true. It's more likely to be something like that than a 'falling out' which is something teenage girls have.

Race

The Tank Rules!
Aug 28, 2004
Hampshire
Rougvie said:
Oh dear, the rose tinted view, shame you seem to be increasingly in isolation with your Seagulls World tainted version of events.

Many of the rumours on here start from somewhere, often days before they hit the internet, McGhee did fall out with Reid, its a FACT to what extent I dont know, personally i've heard that from the father of one of our better youth players so I take his word over the 'mischievious kids' on here.

Rumours rumours rumours :nono:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
It would certainly suit all McGhee's detractors to suggest that he puts his ego in front of picking the best team. If you really believe that you are suggesting a shocking lack of professionalism. I somehow doubt DK would tolerate that in a manager and am astounded that anyone really thinks it is a possibilty that would be allowed to happen given how this club has been run in the last 10 years.

Desperate and petty smearing indeed.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here