Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

lets face it....has there ever been a worse bit of business

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
If we'd re-signed Murray then we may not have been able to afford CMS and Buckley, both of whom are star performers for us and probably worth 3 times what we paid for them already

Nonsense.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I was discussing this at work yesterday and the consensus is it basically comes down to bad timing.

1. We had just one promotion to the Championship
2. Murray's contract ran out
3. He wanted more then we were prepared to offer for a player who had never played outside of the bottom 2 leagues

I think if there had been another year on his contract then he would have proven himself at Championship level to satisfy that little tickbox. I suspect he would have been loath to want to play at the shithole in Croyden after playing a year at the Amex.

The reality is that everyone bitching about Murray going - bad business - yadda yadda, is only doing so with the massive benefit of hindsight. It would have been far more palatable for everyone if Murray's career had just gone done the shitter when he left. I also think if CMS scored 25+ last season and started this season similarly then the bitching would also be less.

We are getting quite good a letting strikers leave because they never quite performed or looked disinterested, Davis, Wood (yeah loan), Murray. Still in amongst this lot is Dickenson, Holroyd who were utter gash.

All good, except that I said letting Muzza go was a mistake AT THE TIME. So did many, many others.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Blah Blah Blah

I think we ought to buy Zaha as cover in case Buckley gets injured. We could send him on a short term loan to Everton if Zaha does not make the grade. :bla::bla::bla:

Transfer fees are going up 70% from next summer. More TV revenue for the Premier.

Glenn-Murray

Banned
Jun 24, 2011
I think we ought to buy Zaha as cover in case Buckley gets injured. We could send him on a short term loan to Everton if Zaha does not make the grade. :bla::bla::bla:

Transfer fees are going up 70% from next summer. More TV revenue for the Premier.

We'd be delighted to sell Zaha to you. Just sell your entire first team squad, send Poyet elsewhere so you can get his compensation, and then you might be able to afford him :thumbsup:

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
We'd be delighted to sell Zaha to you. Just sell your entire first team squad, send Poyet elsewhere so you can get his compensation, and then you might be able to afford him :thumbsup:

What you think he is worth is NOT what he is worth.

Monsieur Le Plonk

Lethargy in motion
Apr 22, 2009
By a lake
I was discussing this at work yesterday and the consensus is it basically comes down to bad timing.

1. We had just one promotion to the Championship
2. Murray's contract ran out
3. He wanted more then we were prepared to offer for a player who had never played outside of the bottom 2 leagues

I think if there had been another year on his contract then he would have proven himself at Championship level to satisfy that little tickbox. I suspect he would have been loath to want to play at the shithole in Croyden after playing a year at the Amex.

The reality is that everyone bitching about Murray going - bad business - yadda yadda, is only doing so with the massive benefit of hindsight. It would have been far more palatable for everyone if Murray's career had just gone done the shitter when he left. I also think if CMS scored 25+ last season and started this season similarly then the bitching would also be less.

We are getting quite good a letting strikers leave because they never quite performed or looked disinterested, Davis, Wood (yeah loan), Murray. Still in amongst this lot is Dickenson, Holroyd who were utter gash.

Good post.
Bit harsh on Dickenson though.....think you meant Johnny Dixon

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton

Murray never quite performed or looked disinterested!!!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
lets face it....has there ever been a worse bit of business.

Trying to shoehorn a 'new' Jewish state into an already politically sensitive global location was never going to work out.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
I'd like to put forward the signing of Vicente as a possibility.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
When he went I was disappointed... When we signed CMS I got over it.

I can't remember many people thinking it was too bad a deal when the two deals got announced?

Either way, Murray did well for us and if it wasn't for injury and the false perception that he was moody, his goals would have been even better than the 1 in 2 he had and he'd have been even more fondly remembered.

The idea we "gave him away" is straight up dumb though.

Sussex on Leith

Sep 11, 2003
Leith
I had a worse bit of business last week after eating an out of date pork pie. Actually, I had quite a few in the space of 12 hours.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Nonsense.

How? We chose not to sign Murray because of his wage demands, then we're able to sign Buckley for a million partly because of his lower wages.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Murrays 2 grand extra a week over and above what we where offering would have worked out at 300k over the 3 year period of his renewed contract. He was worth at least that on the transfer market. So we freed up his wages to sign CMS who is on at least what Murray wanted a week but we paid 3.5 mill for him. Either way you look at it even factoring Buckley in we did not do well out of it. Not financially.

essexeagle

Jul 22, 2004
I firmly believe the future is looking a lot brighter for us than it is for our cousins up the road.

Really? Seriously.....Really??

Nov 10, 2011
Today is the 23rd November 2012, which means Murray left a year and a half ago, so get over it FFS!

It's very easy for armchair managers to say now that we should've kept him because they have the benefit of hindsight. However, at the time, it was the right thing to do, as we offered him an amount of money that we believed he was worth but he said no.

I would rather have a player like CMS playing for us, who wants to play for us for more reasons than just money, than Murray, who even at the open top bus parade did not look like he wanted to be there.

than giving murray to palace..........one of the biggest cock up's of all time surely.:wrong::wrong::wrong::wrong::wrong::wrong:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here