Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

lets face it....has there ever been a worse bit of business

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I was discussing this at work yesterday and the consensus is it basically comes down to bad timing.

1. We had just one promotion to the Championship
2. Murray's contract ran out
3. He wanted more then we were prepared to offer for a player who had never played outside of the bottom 2 leagues

I think if there had been another year on his contract then he would have proven himself at Championship level to satisfy that little tickbox. I suspect he would have been loath to want to play at the shithole in Croyden after playing a year at the Amex.

The reality is that everyone bitching about Murray going - bad business - yadda yadda, is only doing so with the massive benefit of hindsight. It would have been far more palatable for everyone if Murray's career had just gone done the shitter when he left. I also think if CMS scored 25+ last season and started this season similarly then the bitching would also be less.

We are getting quite good a letting strikers leave because they never quite performed or looked disinterested, Davis, Wood (yeah loan), Murray. Still in amongst this lot is Dickenson, Holroyd who were utter gash.

That is a good post, and if I could write good posts I'd like it to be like this one.

Nov 19, 2012
I understand that a signing on fee of less than £100K would have secured Murray's services. The fact that we weren't prepared (apparently) to pay such a small sum for a proven striker beggars belief. But to be fair to Gus he probably now regrets having played hard ball in this case; and nobody gets everything right.

With hindsight Gus should have kept him,unfortunately neither Gus nor any of us has any, who honestly believed Glenn would be this successfull in this division

Gullys Cats

Sausage by the sea!!!
Nov 27, 2010
NSC
than giving murray to palace..........one of the biggest cock up's of all time surely.:wrong::wrong::wrong::wrong::wrong::wrong:

The Americans buying London bridge was pretty bad.

Your right, before opening the thread I knew what it was going to say!.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
blue and white stripes45;5325732who honestly believed Glenn would be this successfull in this division[/QUOTE said:
Errr me, my only concern was his pace

HASSOCKS-BHA

Jun 11, 2012
It's not business ...he chose to leave!

Need to get over this sydney...!! Just the sort of thread the Palarse twats love to read. Contract was finished, he wanted more doe, Gus said no, he chose to leave. These things happen in modern football. Water under the bridge. Time to move on......!!

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Another small point overlooked by many on here is that Muzza wanted a 3 year deal , Gus only was prepared to give him 2 years. The SCUM gave him a 3 year deal and a bit more in wages than what we had on the table. The signing on fee is a bit irrelevant as both clubs would have had to shell out a payment.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
1) Dean Saunders £60k ish to Oxford ( Next move to Derby £1m+ )
2) Jimmy Case to Southampton £30k ish ( Cattlin said that Jimmy's knees had gone, yet he managed another 3 seasons in the top flight! )
3) Ian Wright.....rejected by the Albion.
Outside BHA.
a) Eric Cantona £1.2m..Leeds to Man Utd....terrible, terrible business by Leeds ( Fergie must have thought he'd died and gone to heaven )
b) Mark Goldstein/ Goldberg (? ) Bought CPFC from Ron Noades but didn't buy the ground. Noades had him by the goolies and he eventually lost over £40m.
c ) Aldershot FC believing that a 17yr old ( Spencer Trethewey ) was a millionaire and publicising him as their new Chairman/Saviour.
d) Michael Knighton in the process of taking over Man Utd for £10m ( Steal!!!! ), then unable to raise the funds. FFS....worst bit of ' nearly ' business ever.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
2) Jimmy Case to Southampton £30k ish ( Cattlin said that Jimmy's knees had gone, yet he managed another 3 seasons in the top flight! )
Outside BHA.
a) Eric Cantona £1.2m..Leeds to Man Utd....terrible, terrible business by Leeds ( Fergie must have thought he'd died and gone to heaven )
b) Mark Goldstein/ Goldberg (? ) Bought CPFC from Ron Noades but didn't buy the ground. Noades had him by the goolies and he eventually lost over £40m.
c ) Aldershot FC believing that a 17yr old ( Spencer Trethewey ) was a millionaire and publicising him as their new Chairman/Saviour.
d) Michael Knighton in the process of taking over Man Utd for £10m ( Steal!!!! ), then unable to raise the funds. FFS....worst bit of ' nearly ' business ever.

1) Saunders : Swansea to Brighton FREE transfer was 'probably' worse

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
How about the Decca A&R man who turned down the Beatles?

Or the Hollywood person who said of Fred Astaire "Can't sing, can't dance, can act a little" - although that i think was a critic, so it wouldn't have been business.

And it would be interesting to know if Gus regrets Murray going. Maybe he doesn't.

Twizzle

Aug 12, 2010
Mercenary Murray proved he had no passion for his club.
He bargained for wages we will not pay, which could open a can of worms with other players.
He was not a stable character - Gus found his personality "difficult".
His presence in the dressingroom cannot have been uplifting.
He held his club to ransom by dangling palace's offer under our nose.

He can find the goal, but can't necessarily slot into a manager's way of playing. It has to be his way or he's crap.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Outside BHA.

Adam Virgo £1.5m to Celtic

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
1) 2) Jimmy Case to Southampton £30k ish ( Cattlin said that Jimmy's knees had gone, yet he managed another 3 seasons in the top flight! )
/QUOTE]

I was actually at the Goldstone the day Case was sold and was told by a senior member of staff, who's name escapes me ( may have been Ron Pavey) that it was a great bit of business by the club "as his legs had gone" :rolleyes:

The least they could have done was sing from the same hymn sheet.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
I actually don't care and am please Murray is doing well. It's a shame it's Palace but 'meh'.

I love our squad and never warmed to Murray even though he used to bang them in, which is very weird. I honestly would rather have CMS, and I believe we are two signings away from having a top two squad. Murray wouldn't feature for me long term so I'm not overly fussed he left. Brighton will move on and I firmly believe the future is looking a lot brighter for us than it is for our cousins up the road.

Glenn-Murray

Banned
Jun 24, 2011
CMS £2.5million + Buckley £1 million = £3.5 million. In today's market I believe CMS and Buckley are worth £10 million + between them, so in my book that's trebling your money.

£10m+? Are you serious?

:lol:

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Mercenary Murray proved he had no passion for his club.
He bargained for wages we will not pay, which could open a can of worms with other players.
He was not a stable character - Gus found his personality "difficult".
His presence in the dressingroom cannot have been uplifting.
He held his club to ransom by dangling palace's offer under our nose.

He can find the goal, but can't necessarily slot into a manager's way of playing. It has to be his way or he's crap.

yep..best reply yet, northern twatt............really wish he hadn't gone to palace...never mind.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
£10m+? Are you serious?

:lol:
Well they two of our most valuable players but I tend to agree that £10m is the absolute max we could expect. Buckley is probably our most effective player and one of our most consistent. I'd say he was well worth £5m, maybe even £6m. CMS isn't worth anything like that though, but we paid £2.5-3m for him and Norwich are still sniffing around him. Consequently, if he was sold it would be for over £4m, not least because replacing him properly would cost us at least that.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
We had a contract offer down, and Palace offered more than we were willing to compete with. All boiled down to signing on fee I believe.

So we should have offered a retainer... massive mistake... sorry Gus lovers.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I understand that a signing on fee of less than £100K would have secured Murray's services. The fact that we weren't prepared (apparently) to pay such a small sum for a proven striker beggars belief. But to be fair to Gus he probably now regrets having played hard ball in this case; and nobody gets everything right.

Spot on. It was a mistake, and we will need to spend a HUGE amount of money to get anywhere near replacing him.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here