Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Leon Knight

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Leon was a stroppy little git.

He should have been managed better but it was allowed to get too far.

BUT

We should not have got rid of him without a PROPER replacement who would gaurentee the number of goals Knight would have got for us in this league.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Uncle Buck said:
However we would have still got compensation for him in the summer.

Would it have been more or less if we had continued to pay his wages until that time?

I would love to have his type of player scoring for us, but a bad egg is something we do not need. Particularly as there are so many youngsters learning from the 'seasoned' pros.

Would he score a hatful again? Our team is weaker than three years ago.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Richie Morris said:

We should not have got rid of him without a PROPER replacement who would gaurentee the number of goals Knight would have got for us in this league.

That is what it all boils down to McGhee let his personal feelings get in the way of managing the team and it cost us

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
BarrelofFun said:
Would it have been more or less if we had continued to pay his wages until that time?

I would love to have his type of player scoring for us, but a bad egg is something we do not need. Particularly as there are so many youngsters learning from the 'seasoned' pros.

Would he score a hatful again? Our team is weaker than three years ago.

I think he had to be shipped out.

I do think he would probably score in this side, simply as we do seem to be trying to keep the ball on the floor more and that would benefit him.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Uncle Buck said:
I think he had to be shipped out.

I do think he would probably score in this side, simply as we do seem to be trying to keep the ball on the floor more and that would benefit him.

Ah, if only he had tried. I am not going to lay the blame at one persons feet. I think it was a catalogue of errors by all involved. Shame, as I did enjoy watching him play that season.

:down:

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
BarrelofFun said:
Ah, if only he had tried. I am not going to lay the blame at one persons feet. I think it was a catalogue of errors by all involved. Shame, as I did enjoy watching him play that season.

:down:

That away game at White Hart Lane when McGhee sent us out to knock the ball about on the deck - Knight looked brilliant.

As you say, shame it did not happen more often.

Simon Morgan

Oct 30, 2004
Oxford
At his best, I think Leon was one of the most exciting players that I have ever seen in the stripes. Ok, I may have only been watching the Albion for little over 11 years, but even so, there have been some great players. I loved his arrogance, his attitude and he was obviously very talented. I know players like him are prone to cause unrest on the training ground and in the dressing room, but I'm sure there are worse-behaved players who aren't shipped out of their respective clubs.

I accept the fact that he was partially in the wrong, but I think the club needed Leon Knight more than they needed £125k. He was one of those players which the opposition tend to look out for and that opposition fans are familiar with. Unfortunately, we don't seem to have one of those players anymore and I believe it is costing us this season.

brighton_girl87

Jul 18, 2006
NMH said:
I miss all the players that FAT USELESS BERK mcghee alienated.

I wish we still had Knight, and had been rid of MM much much sooner.
He was shite.

so shite that he got us promoted?

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
yep still shite, got very very lucky. Great day out tho

Rookie said:
yep still shite, got very very lucky. Great day out tho
So shite that he got us to our highest league finish for 15 years?

Oh yeah, sorry, that was an entire season's luck.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
no that was through playing very dull football and having 3 teams who were worse than us. And it did come down to quite a large slice of luck with the Ipswich game

Rookie said:
no that was through playing very dull football and having 3 teams who were worse than us. And it did come down to quite a large slice of luck with the Ipswich game

It was all just two long years of luck, yeah?

Oh, to be that lucky again.

Sadly, McGhee outers like you have probably condemned us to years of "bad luck" now, cheers for that.

Last edited:

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Don't actually think i said 2 years of luck what i said was a large slice of luck with the game against Ipswich and before that he got lucky with the Swindon game and the penalty @ Cardiff.
Not a problem pleased to have been of a service if only he had gone before.

Rookie said:
Don't actually think i said 2 years of luck what i said was a large slice of luck with the game against Ipswich and before that he got lucky with the Swindon game and the penalty @ Cardiff.
Not a problem pleased to have been of a service if only he had gone before.

And making it to the play-offs including beating champions Plymouth in front of the TV cameras, that was all luck too? Beating West Ham, Leicester, Preston NE, Leeds, Watford, Sunderland, Sheffield United, Crystal Palace - all luck?

Take a good look at the names of those clubs because it will be a long time before we get another manager like McGhee who gave us the gift of two seasons of football playing against them - that's "lucky" isn't it? :glare:

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
shall we agree to disagree because its clear that we will never have the same opinion of McGhee or pretty much anything as far as I can work out

Rookie said:
shall we agree to disagree because its clear that we will never have the same opinion of McGhee or pretty much anything as far as I can work out

:D Fair enough.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but I look back at the failure to sign Iwelumo (when we had the chance) as a key moment last year.

I suspect he would have kept Leon towards the straight and narrow as they had already seemed to have built up a relationship on the field and off.

I also don't believe this rubbish regarding Mcghee and Iwelumo falling out. From what I heard Iwelumo was simply offered a wedge in Germany and he contacted Mcghee later to sort out the arguments that resulted in him not turning up for training.

A mistake, but as I say hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here