Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Leon Knight

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
Gritt23 said:
"he is frustrated with the direct football they are playing at the moment,"

Unless Leon speaks about himself in the third person, that doesn't sound much like a direct quote to me. I'd rather hear the interview before jumping to predictable conclusions, but hey, this is Leon ... we don't need little things like fact or evidence to have a go!

Woody the Seagull said:
they also got gareth o'connor and wade elliot from bmuff for a ridiculously low sum in pre-season

They are not bad players either of these two, but are you seriously telling me you would prefer either of these flank players over Carole? :shootself

I'm not actually sure either are any better than our lesser signing of Frutos either!

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
London Irish said:
This is why a combination of CKR and Leon would be hopeless for us, because they are both players who don't make enough runs off defenders.
I agree with this. I can't remember Leon Knight scoring after spinning off a defenders shoulders.

London Irish said:
But at least CKR is showing some willingness to work on this fault, Leon appears to be deluding himself with excuses that its all his team-mates' fault that they don't pass right to his feet.
..but I'm afraid this is absolute shite. When has he ever blamed his team mates? All he's said is that he's frustrated with the direct style of play as it doesn't play to his strengths, and he's right. You seem every bit as one-eyed towards Knight as others are about McCammon.

Uncle Buck said:
Did I say it was all luck Mr Smith?

However with any long range shot there is an element of luck and it came off for us on Friday.

Anyone I thought rubgy was the game you spouted about?

C'mon Bucky - think. The play leading up to Oatway's goal - the number of passes in and around the penalty area stretching the Hull defenders this way and that - this is not long-ball football, is it?

Most of our attacking play goes through Seb these days, and he runs at defenders and lays off balls.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
London Irish said:
C'mon Bucky - think. The play leading up to Oatway's goal - the number of passes in and around the penalty area stretching the Hull defenders this way and that - this is not long-ball football, is it?

Most of our attacking play goes through Seb these days, and he runs at defenders and lays off balls.

But the ball came back to Oatway from a clearance and he hit it. Well done, but probably not the original plan of the attack. It went in so everyone was happy.

dunno

Old Skool
Jul 6, 2003
At work - probably
He is easily good enough for the championship but I go along with the concensus that he is probably a provider rather than an out and out goalscorer at this level. He is just too lightweight against Championship defenders and normally little guys make up for it with blistering pace, something he just hasn't got.

Against slower league 1 defenders his obvious talent meant he had a field day - something any decent player of his ability should be able to do - 'out and out' striker or not.

However his control and ability to pick out a blue & white shirt should not be ignored, and I believe he could be what we are missing from the centre of midfield - but only if he plays with a couple of ball winners as well. If he is moaning about the lack of balls being played to feet - HE could be the one to provide it.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
To a certain extent I agree with LI.

It seems Leon doesn't want to "get amongst the boots" which Harty, Big Mac do and CKR is now doing....

Simster said:
..but I'm afraid this is absolute shite. When has he ever blamed his team mates? All he's said is that he's frustrated with the direct style of play as it doesn't play to his strengths, and he's right. You seem every bit as one-eyed towards Knight as others are about McCammon.

You can buy Knight's codswallop if you want.

I take more notice of the manager telling me that Knight isn't working hard enough in training.

That, for me, is a more reliable source than Leon's immature blabberings.

Call me anti-Knight if it suits your argument, but you only have to look at the few posts earlier on this page to see the praise I gave him for his early season performances.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
London Irish said:
You can buy Knight's codswallop if you want.

I take more notice of the manager telling me that Knight isn't working hard enough in training.

Call me anti-Knight if it suits your argument, but you only have to look at the few posts earlier on this page to see the praise I gave him for his early season performances.

I do not think you are anti-Knight, you are anti the opinion of the masses, probably explains you love affair with Oatway and McCammon.

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
London Irish said:

Excuse me if I've missed something, but have we heard or read these immature blabberings yet? Or are we still going on the paraphrasing of a reporter's paraphrasing of Leon?

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Repugnant Toad said:
Unless Leon speaks about himself in the third person, that doesn't sound much like a direct quote to me. I'd rather hear the interview before jumping to predictable conclusions, but hey, this is Leon ... we don't need little things like fact or evidence to have a go!

READ my post. That was a direct quote from the original post. therefore what we have based this entire thread on!

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Uncle Buck said:
But the ball came back to Oatway from a clearance and he hit it. Well done, but probably not the original plan of the attack. It went in so everyone was happy.

Okay then, how about the build up play between Frutos and Carole, to create the chance that Hammond blazed over. Surely you saw that as great play, passing to feet etc.

Uncle Buck said:
I do not think you are anti-Knight, you are anti the opinion of the masses, probably explains you love affair with Oatway and McCammon.

Bad week to grind your axe against Oatway Bucky :lolol:

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Gritt23 said:
"he is frustrated with the direct football they are playing at the moment,"

That was the original post. I don't think it's unreasonable to read that as LK saying that he believes we are playing the wrong sort of football. he believes he would be playing better in a side who play more passing football. TELLING Mcghee to play more passing football, is perhaps taking that quote too far, but the implication in those words is quite clear.

Sorry Leon, but how about working hard at your game, rather than looking for excuses as to why you are not performing. he is looking to blame the system, rather than himself.

How is that telling him? i still dont understand.

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
Gritt23 said:
READ my post. That was a direct quote from the original post. therefore what we have based this entire thread on!

READ my post. As I stated, it seems the Leon-knockers are slamming him based on Superphil's version of the interview ... there aren't many quotes from Leon there, nor is there any context, which is always handy.

Last edited:

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
London Irish said:
Bad week to grind your axe against Oatway Bucky :lolol:

No, I do not think he has been too bad in the last few games. I think long term that we need to replace him and Carpenter, but at present there is nothing better and I expect he will be offered another extension in the summer.

However Senor Smith you do seem to be in an argumentative mood.

Nice email address by the way....

Uncle Buck said:

The intricate build up play pulled the Hull defenders onto the goal line. The cross went in and after a clearance it was two more precise passes that sent into to Oatway, who was in space because the previous passing play had vacated the area of Hull defenders.

If you can't appreciate the quality of this goal, Bucky, you know absolutely f*** all about football, or perhaps just can't bring youself to give any praise to McGhee's footballers.

That's your choice :wave:

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
KinkyGoehring said:
How is that telling him? i still dont understand.

It isn't. He's stating a preference. Doubtless McCammon would tell you, if anyone cared, that he prefers the ball played to him in such a way as to maximise his strengths, and other players would express similar views. But, as this is Leon, I accept he's TELLING McGhee how to manage the team, and FORCING him to bow to his greater understanding of the game.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
London Irish said:
The intricate build up play pulled the Hull defenders onto the goal line. The cross went in and after a clearance it was two more precise passes that sent into to Oatway, who was in space because the previous passing play had vacated the area of Hull defenders.

If you can't appreciate the quality of this goal, Bucky, you know absolutely f*** all about football, or perhaps just can't bring youself to give any praise to McGhee's footballers.

That's your choice :wave:

Do me a favour. I did not say it was a bad goal, but any strike from distance has an element of luck about it. Oatway was playing the holding role rather well by not getting into the area so he was able to pick the loose ball up and have a dig, it went in. But it is a fact about one in five of those sort of efforts go in.

Stop trying to start an argument when there is not one there.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here