Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Leon Knight

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Repugnant Toad said:
It isn't. He's stating a preference. Doubtless McCammon would tell you, if anyone cared, that he prefers the ball played to him in such a way as to maximise his strengths, and other players would express similar views. But, as this is Leon, I accept he's TELLING McGhee how to manage the team, and FORCING him to bow to his greater understanding of the game.

But McCammon hasn't told us and no one else has.

Uncle Buck said:
No, I do not think he has been too bad in the last few games. I think long term that we need to replace him and Carpenter, but at present there is nothing better and I expect he will be offered another extension in the summer.

But you were confidently telling me last year that he wasn't good enugh for the team and would be "found out" at this level of football. Now you're handing Charlie a new contract. Good job I was argumentative with you at the time, wasn't it, Bucky, otherwise there might have been a few on here tempted to believe you back then :D

Repugnant Toad said:
READ my post. As I stated, it seems the Leon-knockers are slamming him based on Superphil's version of the interview ... there aren't many quotes from Leon there, nor is there any context, which is always handy.

To be fair, that is a good point. I did try to take that into account in my original post.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
London Irish said:
But you were confidently telling me last year that he wasn't good enugh for the team and would be "found out" at this level of football. Now you're handing Charlie a new contract. Good job I was argumentative with you at the time, wasn't it, Bucky, otherwise there might have been a few on here tempted to believe you back then :D

I still do not think he is a brilliant player. I think he has his best games when we are playing on the break, such as Palace away and when something more creative is expected of him he is found wanting. However Nicolas has not developed as was expected, I am not sure what else is out there and Frazer is going to need a couple more years to come through, so the chances are he will be retained.

But if you think you have changed my mind on a player then that is fine, but I think as ever you are deluding yourself.

Repugnant Toad said:
It isn't. He's stating a preference. Doubtless McCammon would tell you, if anyone cared, that he prefers the ball played to him in such a way as to maximise his strengths, and other players would express similar views. But, as this is Leon, I accept he's TELLING McGhee how to manage the team, and FORCING him to bow to his greater understanding of the game.

If, after his Burnley problems, Big Mac would have gone to the media and started giving interviews about the problems of the team, he would have been crucified on here, and rightly. He did a very sensible thing, although Naylor was trying to constantly get hold of him, he declined all interviews.

Do you concede the point that this would a wise path for Leon right now?

Uncle Buck said:
IBut if you think you have changed my mind on a player then that is fine, but I think as ever you are deluding yourself.

I don't delude myself I could change your mind on anything Bucky :)

The credit for that goes entirely to Charlie's good form.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
London Irish said:
I don't delude myself I could change your mind on anything Bucky :)

The credit for that goes entirely to Charlie's good form.

He has once again found some form this season.

I will say that if we want to consolodate our position in this league in the long term, both his and Chippy's positions will need looking at. Carpenter cannot go on forever and eventually we are going to need more quality than what Oatway brings. It looked like Nicolas might gradually replace him, but he seems to be a player that is going backwards. I do think the long term option might be Fraser, but just not yet.

the full harris

Feb 14, 2004
If I was McCammon after the Burnley game, I'd have been so embarassed by my performance that I wouldn't run a mile from the interview as well. I don't think there was 'sensible' decision making going on there, just a desire to not talk about such an embarassing display.

But back to the thread. Firstly, UB, I'm afraid you'll find your wrong about Oatway's goal being a loose ball. The bal is cleared and then it takes a further 2 deliberate passes from Albion players to get the ball to Oatway for the shot.

Secondly, when was the last time Leon Knight went through one-on-one with the keeper and scored? Sheffield Utd away? I can remember him several times going through one on one and missing but not scoring? Those are the type of chances he should be putting away, but he isn't.

Thirdly, if you are gonna claim the two goals against Hull to be fortuitous and then you'd have to say Knight's brace against Palace was also. The penalty was nearly saved and the 'flick' is the type of thing tried many times before it actually is lucky enough to go in.

I like Knight as a player, he is skillfull and has shown in the pass that he knows where the goal is but I just don't think he is much more effective than Colin or even Robinson, certainly not enough to get so worried about him leaving.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
the full harris said:

But back to the thread. Firstly, UB, I'm afraid you'll find your wrong about Oatway's goal being a loose ball. The bal is cleared and then it takes a further 2 deliberate passes from Albion players to get the ball to Oatway for the shot.

Secondly, when was the last time Leon Knight went through one-on-one with the keeper and scored? Sheffield Utd away? I can remember him several times going through one on one and missing but not scoring? Those are the type of chances he should be putting away, but he isn't.

Thirdly, if you are gonna claim the two goals against Hull to be fortuitous and then you'd have to say Knight's brace against Palace was also. The penalty was nearly saved and the 'flick' is the type of thing tried many times before it actually is lucky enough to go in.

I like Knight as a player, he is skillfull and has shown in the pass that he knows where the goal is but I just don't think he is much more effective than Colin or even Robinson, certainly not enough to get so worried about him leaving.

now that is what I call bang on ! :clap:

Superseagull

Jul 8, 2003
Leon would do much better with a team like Reading or Sheff Utd. The quality in there squads would give Leon the time, space and options for Leon to do his stuff to much better effect. The Albion are more of a hussle, bussle, 100% commitment type of play that cuts Leon out of the game for long periods of time.

Maybe its best for both parties for him to part company with us now. It would give Mcghee a little bit of money to spend and Leon a fresh start. Trouble is I can't see a top championship team going for him. More likely a decent League 1 team with a bit of cash to spend - Nottingham Forest maybe ???

Superseagull said:
Leon would do much better with a team like Reading or Sheff Utd.

So would most championship players to be fair. But I doubt Leon would get a starting place in either side.

shabba

Dec 22, 2004
Bookham
:( He is lazy and there is nothing worse than a player who has all the talent and won't work hard enough to realise his potential. I agree that we are to long ball and I have always though since McGhee arrived we have never had a team pattern to bring out the best in the players, they should both go!

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Yep he was really lazy at reading wasnt he working the line alone.
There is a difference between not being lazy and running around like a headless chicken.

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
London Irish said:
If, after his Burnley problems, Big Mac would have gone to the media and started giving interviews about the problems of the team, he would have been crucified on here, and rightly. He did a very sensible thing, although Naylor was trying to constantly get hold of him, he declined all interviews.

Do you concede the point that this would a wise path for Leon right now?

I agree, in principal, although going only on the first post of this thread, I don't think Leon's said anything that terrible - but, yeah, in these cases, it's better to stick schtum. However, it seems whatever Leon did, he was going to get slated.

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
Dougal said:
But McCammon hasn't told us and no one else has.

Of course they have - plenty of players have remarked on their preferred styles of play, albeit not necessarily in these circumstances. The point is, he's not telling McGhee how to do his job. I'd like to see a transcript of the interview.

Repugnant Toad said:
I agree, in principal, although going only on the first post of this thread, I don't think Leon's said anything that terrible - but, yeah, in these cases, it's better to stick schtum. However, it seems whatever Leon did, he was going to get slated.

Yes, for a short while. But if he just got on with training rather than phoning in sick and receiving radio interviewers on his sickbed, this story would die in a few days.

I hope he comes to his senses, because everyone will suffer if he goes, we will lose a talented player and he it will take him a fair while to work his way back to tier-two football.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I must apologize it was stupid of me to expect Race to answer a question about the dressing room and the atmosphere but I just got wound up with people slating Knight and ASSUMING that he had caused disruptions in ther dressing room when,it has so rightly been said we do not know.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here