Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Leon Knight

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
He was asked questions, he answered.

Once again people jump on his back, the reaction would not be the same if anyone else had said the same.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
So when the reporters ask him to say something for the radio/tv/papers he says no comment and everybody slags him off for being unresponsive and telling him has a duty to talk to the press to promote the club. He can't win.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Superphil said:
reoprted on SCR this morning. Leon says he is dissapointed he hasn't been selected for the last game, but understands the need to make changes to the side. He's not happy with the teams position in the league, and furthermore, he is frustrated with the direct football they are playing at the moment, he prefers the passing game.

I have to say I agree, he's excellent when he has a chance to play with the ball at his feet, we've all said it time and again. I hope MM takes this on board, especially with a few of the injured players coming back into the side. Lets try passing a bit more again.
Me too. In an ideal world, Knight would be playing his favoured position as striker, and we'd be playing the ball wide and quickly to the French duo to Knight the service that he needs. The problem is that the midfield looks exposed and is left out of shape when our French lads move forward and the move breaks down. I think this is why McGhee wants strong players who can hold the ball up, like Trolley & CKR. It's not as quick, not as pretty, but gives the midfield time to get organised when we have the ball in the final third.

None of which is Leon's fault of course, and I see nothing controversial in what he's said here. Yet some people on here seem prepared to throw his toys out of pram for him.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
KinkyGoehring said:
He was asked questions, he answered.

Once again people jump on his back, the reaction would not be the same if anyone else had said the same.
Correct. On the other hand, some people seem prepared to just blame McGhee for Knights mardiness in the past, despite knowing f*** all about whats gone on behind closed doors, or really knowing his effect on the dressing room.

rool

Jul 10, 2003
BensGrandad said:
We must ask Race, if she can answer, has he disrupted the dressing room and put every other player against him.

I heard a rumour that the others make him stand in the corner facing the wall

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Re: Re: Leon Knight

Simster said:
Me too. In an ideal world, Knight would be playing his favoured position as striker, and we'd be playing the ball wide and quickly to the French duo to Knight the service that he needs. The problem is that the midfield looks exposed and is left out of shape when our French lads move forward and the move breaks down. I think this is why McGhee wants strong players who can hold the ball up, like Trolley & CKR. It's not as quick, not as pretty, but gives the midfield time to get organised when we have the ball in the final third.

None of which is Leon's fault of course, and I see nothing controversial in what he's said here. Yet some people on here seem prepared to throw his toys out of pram for him.

Well said

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Whoever was saying that Knight has only scored 7 goals in the past season and a half, it is 9, not much of a difference, but if you are going to slag the player off, do it with a bit of accuracy.

That return of 9 goals has something to do with the style of play. Due to Knights height limitations you cannot lump the ball in the air and expect him to win it and we are still doing this whatever the people who think we are playing pretty football think, the ball is still spending too long in the air, which is pointless when we have Knight, Carole, Robinson and to an extent CKR in the team.

Knight is one of the more talented players in the team and the midfield either need to be playing the ball to him and letting him create, but to do this you need someone that has some idea how to connect the cows arse and banjo.

Alternatively, you need to get Knight on the last defenders shoulder and dink the ball over the top for him to run on to, such as Sheffield Wednesday a couple of seasons ago. Also low accurate crosses, such as the Frutos cross to Knight against Palace, might just be a good idea.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
BensGrandad said:
We must ask Race, if she can answer, has he disrupted the dressing room and put every other player against him.

Like she will be able to answer that - dont embarrass her by asking such questions:glare:

Fourteenth Eye

Face for Radio
Jul 9, 2004
Brighton
The problem is that when we had Bobby, the team was geared up to his strengths. I dont think we have ever done that for Leon.

But then Leon is a 'flair' player who is quite capable of doing his own legwork. It just seems that he cant be arsed to half the time.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Uncle Buck said:
Whoever was saying that Knight has only scored 7 goals in the past season and a half, it is 9, not much of a difference, but if you are going to slag the player off, do it with a bit of accuracy.

That was me , I thought he got 3 last year and has 4 this year(league) . I stand corrected if I'm wrong

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
Dont forget fewer of these are from open play.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
I seem to remember he played one game in midfield and was quite a success.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
Uncle C said:
Dont forget fewer of these are from open play.

he does seem to have a poor record from open play

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
Uncle C said:
I seem to remember he played one game in midfield and was quite a success.

he played centre midfield away at shrewsbury and was one of the star players, although the way the team, bar him and mccammon, played that night i think i could have looked liek a star player

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
KinkyGoehring said:
A goal is a goal, he got slated for missing two last year so why slate him for scoring them?

not slating him for scoring them, just saying that 7 goals from open play in 2 years really is quite a poor return for a striker of his ability

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Scotty M said:
not slating him for scoring them, just saying that 7 goals from open play in 2 years really is quite a poor return for a striker of his ability

Not going to go into this all again, but its not just leon that has trouble scroing is it?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here