Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Leon Knight

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
Saint Lennard said:
So why can Harty (a former striker) do it but not Leon?

Because he's been doing it for six seasons, not six games? Just a guess.

And to clarify - we were already losing against Millwall and Ipswich when he came on ... blaming him for those defeats rather betrays your bigotry.

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
i think it is as simple as this-

if we get relegated and he goes we will miss his 20+ goals.

if we stay up we can do without him and would benefit from the money we receive via tribunal.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Those few people that have had a go at Leon are never really going to change are they, I really don't think it would matter what he did, they would always accuse him or being lazy a diver or whatever. It a shame really because it is clear that he is a quality footballer the goals from last season and some of the play have shown that. If he was in a better team there is no doubt that he would have played better and scored more, but apart from Ashton at Crewe how many players can score and/or play well regularly in a stuggling team.

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
At the end of the day Leon is a very talented player when he wants to be regardless of if he plays forward or left midfield ..But it has to be said in the last two games i have watched Cov & preston he wasnt up for it and his body language was that of somone who didnt seem bothered. You also have to look at the fact that he hasnt signed a new contract.. This could be becuase it isnt what he wants moneywise or it could be he just feels he could progress better elsewhere. what ever the case we are not going to find out until after the event . In the meantime why not get behind him for the sake of the team and try and influence him to play well !

the full harris

Feb 14, 2004
Silent Bob said:
You're all backwards ;)

Big Mac and Virgs batter the defence for 60 mins and Leon/Jakey come on and rip them apart. :smokin:

I think Leon and/or Jake should start at Rotheram though.

Unfortunately, due to the INCOMPETANCE of McCammon ensuring we have very little going forward in that 60 minutes, we will be a couple of goals down by the time the two actually TALENTED football players you mention come on rendering their task of 'ripping apart' a, by that time, consolidating and cautious defence, almost as pointless as it will be difficult :(

I'd love for McCammon to 'batter' a defence, but even Knight wins more headers, whilst standing at a full foot shorter than 'Big Mac'.

Infernal Optimist

Aug 15, 2003
OK, lets be honest for a moment, in say the last 5 seasons apart from Bobby, what better striker have the Albion had exactly?

Cameron, Steele, McPhee? Need I go on?

We have no money, strikers cost money especially good ones.

Sorry did I forget Hart? and how many goals has he scored? Effort is important but so is ability. Otherwise I'd be playing...

Knight, might be a moody git, but he is probably our best hope of scoring enough goals to stay up...

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
Infernal Optimist said:
OK, lets be honest for a moment, in say the last 5 seasons apart from Bobby, what better striker have the Albion had exactly?

Cameron, Steele, McPhee? Need I go on?

We have no money, strikers cost money especially good ones.

Sorry did I forget Hart? and how many goals has he scored? Effort is important but so is ability. Otherwise I'd be playing...

Knight, might be a moody git, but he is probably our best hope of scoring enough goals to stay up...

because Knight has scored how many goals this year?

cdavis

May 14, 2004
Still hoping someone will find the stats re: games played as striker and goals scored between Knight and McCammon. By the way, all those who argue that Knight would score more in a better side .......wouldn,t anyone..???

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
cdavis said:
Still hoping someone will find the stats re: games played as striker and goals scored between Knight and McCammon.

By my reckoning:

Knight: 30(6) games 4 goals 6 assists

McCammon: 15(1) games 3 goals 0 assists

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
cdavis said:
Thankyou RT.....interesting stats.....

Not really how many of those games has Leon been stuck out on the left wing.

Repugnant Toad said:
By my reckoning:

Knight: 30(6) games 4 goals 6 assists

McCammon: 15(1) games 3 goals 0 assists

Interesting stats, shame they're total bollocks.

Just off the top of my head I can think of Big Mac creating two Virgs goals against the Gills and Wigan, there could be more. It's so tedious when people with axes to grind talk down players in this way.

larus

I would still like Leon to be given a free-role behind Virgo/McCammon, just to see what cahnces he can create.

He's quick, skilful, and by allowing him the space benind the 2 big strikers, he may get a lot more op[portunities for himself than being wide on the wing.

I for one, will be very sorry to see him go. Yes, his attitude in the past has not alwys been great, but if you can't see the improvement over the last 4-5 months you're blind or just very blinkered to the guy. His work rate has been excellent, and he's done his fair share of tracking back.

Another example is the first Sunderland goal. Big Mac took the ball on the edge of the box and laid the pass out wide. He then sprinted into the box in time for the cross to come over, from Reid I think. His challenge on the defender led to a hopeless header out to the waiting Chippy, whose deflected shot goes in. This technically may or may not count as an "assist" but in the real world without these two pieces of work by Big Mac within seconds of each other, the goal would not have been scored.

All this stuff of couse completely overlooked by the anti-McCammon Idiots.

larus said:
I would still like Leon to be given a free-role behind Virgo/McCammon, just to see what cahnces he can create.

He's quick, skilful, and by allowing him the space benind the 2 big strikers, he may get a lot more op[portunities for himself than being wide on the wing.

I for one, will be very sorry to see him go. Yes, his attitude in the past has not alwys been great, but if you can't see the improvement over the last 4-5 months you're blind or just very blinkered to the guy. His work rate has been excellent, and he's done his fair share of tracking back.

I too will be devastated to see him go. But the decision will be Leon's, he's already been offered an improved contract, which shows that the club are sympathetic to the problems he's had in his transition to the higher class of second-tier football. The club has done all it can to keep Leon.

His workrate has been generally good but still inconsistent at key times. It was not good at Coventry, which was a crucial game for us. It's hard to overlook that and McGhee didn't.

Leon will be very lucky to start another game this season, we have players who want it more 100% of the time at the moment, and that kind of commitment is crucial in a scrapping relegation dogfight. If we pack our midfield with wholehearted battlers in a 3-5-2 as we did against Leicester, there is no place for Leon in the starting team.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
London Irish said:
I too will be devastated to see him go. But the decision will be Leon's, he's already been offered an improved contract, which shows that the club are sympathetic to the problems he's had in his transition to the higher class of second-tier football. The club has done all it can to keep Leon.

His workrate has been generally good but still inconsistent at key times. It was not good at Coventry, which was a crucial game for us. It's hard to overlook that and McGhee didn't.

Leon will be very lucky to start another game this season, we have players who want it more 100% of the time at the moment, and that kind of commitment is crucial in a scrapping relegation dogfight. If we pack our midfield with wholehearted battlers in a 3-5-2 as we did against Leicester, there is no place for Leon in the starting team.

if knight doesnt start in will be bye bye championship.

o and how many goals has mccammon scored in his longer Career?

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
London Irish said:
Interesting stats, shame they're total bollocks.

Just off the top of my head I can think of Big Mac creating two Virgs goals against the Gills and Wigan, there could be more. It's so tedious when people with axes to grind talk down players in this way.

Calm down dear, it's only my rough totting up ... two assists as well, then. Im's not grinding my axe; I just don't have your perfect recall of the entire season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here