Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Leon and the Black Armband [Merged threads]

gollum

Dec 29, 2004
This has been blown out of all proportion. :angry: Leon was frustrated so he took it out on the armband. So what? Nothing at all to do with lack of respect. As for the idiots who gave him verbal abuse, what do they think they are achieving? the last thing we need is for elements of the crowd to get on the players backs - they are all giving 100% and we should back them 100%. Leon is playing out of his skin at the moment and his goal at Sheffield and the celebrations will live with me for ever.:clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :angry:

Looks to me that this entire thing is panning out as a storm in a teacup and has no traction whatsoever beyond the SCR phone-in, and hence will be quickly forgotten about. Probably best we help that process along by moving on ourselves and just forgetting about what Leon did, what Liz Costa did, blah blah blah, let's all end the axe-grinding - if only out of respect for the memory of Robert Virgo.

So, in that vein.......back to the football!

kinkygerbil said:
No disrespect to LI here but can you imagine a strike force of Mccamon and Hart? That really will be something to moan about

Yeah, the difference between us, is this combination doesn't strike mortal terror in me as it does you. Leon is our most naturally gifted player and it would be a terrible blow to lose him, but we are much, much bigger club than one player. We had Claridge/Virgo up front against West Ham, a combination which you no doubt think is as terrible as the one you mention, but the team did its job and got one of our best victories of the season. The same thing would happen even if somehow Leon's new contract got bolixed up and we lost him. I admire Leon as a footballer, but I sometimes get the impression you worship him as some kind of footballing messiah.

Just watched a great bit of footage on Sky Sports News - Danny Webber being interviewed as part of the Liverpool-Watford semi build-up. Here's a superb talent, probably Watford's most naturally gifted player, got a fine goal at the weekend, yet he may not make the team on Tuesday. His response? What a fantastic level head on young shoulders - he says he will have no problem being left out of the second leg as he was the first, he'll just keep on going working harder to get back in the team, brilliant, professional attitude. Contrast that with that welsh wanker at Newcastle.

I personally think our Leon is much closer to being a Webber than a Bellamy, and all this stuff about him being chased away from the club if McGhee doesn't do this with him, or if some clown in the stands has a pop, I just think those fears are all totally overblown.

Last edited:

sussexfatboy

Jan 4, 2005
Hastings
I was in North Stand and saw whole thing. Leon had just missed the penalty and had another effort saved when he was clean through so ripped it off in a fit of pique. Maybe he thought it was bringing bad luck.
A few people in the North stand, one man in particular, started shouting things like 'you're a disgrace Leon' and 'f***ing pickit it up you idiot' every time he came down the left wing. At one point Leon turned round and shouted 'f*** off' and later in the game he gestured a wanker sign to the loudmouth.

rool

Jul 10, 2003
It would be interesting to resurrect the thread at the time rooney did it and see if there is a case of double standards on here.

Rooney did something silly but it was defused pretty quickly by a quick apology and saying that no disrespect was meant. Same thing could be done here as it is no doubt exactly the same. Just a bit of clever guidance by SGE took the wind out of most of the whingers sails.

Saint Lennard

Prawn Sarnie Casual
Sep 30, 2004
Seafront shelters
munster monch said:
It would be interesting to resurrect the thread at the time rooney did it and see if there is a case of double standards on here.

Rooney did something silly but it was defused pretty quickly by a quick apology and saying that no disrespect was meant. Same thing could be done here as it is no doubt exactly the same. Just a bit of clever guidance by SGE took the wind out of most of the whingers sails.

:clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

I think that Leons attitude is the same as Rooneys ie stuff the lot of ya.

Pity he hasn't got any of his talent. Although he thinks he should be in the England set up!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Oh BOLLOCKS to an apology. For fucks sake, all that will do is make an even BIGGER issue out of this than it already is. I'm sure Liz Costa and the rest of the "disgusted" brigade would no doubt get off on seeing Leon making some kind of public apology, but it would serve absolutely no purpose other than making them feel good and smug about it.

IF this has caused any friction in the squad (and I severely doubt that it has), then Leon and Virgs are grown adults and would be quite capable of sorting it out between themselves, without the need for some kind of public flogging. Something along the lines of:

LEON: "Sorry about the armband Virgs, I didn't mean anything by it".
VIRGS: "No worries".

This is a load of shit about nothing, and concerns no-one except Leon and Virgo. Everyone else calling for apologies should just mind their own frigging business and butt out.

Seagullible

Super Keeper
Jul 7, 2003
Tea room, The Office, Slough
Easy 10 said:
Oh BOLLOCKS to an apology. For fucks sake, all that will do is make an even BIGGER issue out of this than it already is. I'm sure Liz Costa and the rest of the "disgusted" brigade would no doubt get off on seeing Leon making some kind of public apology, but it would serve absolutely no purpose other than making them feel good and smug about it.

IF this has caused any friction in the squad (and I severely doubt that it has), then Leon and Virgs are grown adults and would be quite capable of sorting it out between themselves, without the need for some kind of public flogging. Something along the lines of:

This is a load of shit about nothing, and concerns no-one except Leon and Virgo. Everyone else calling for apologies should just mind their own frigging business and butt out.
:clap2: :clap2: :clap2: exactly how I feel. The armband was for Virgo's Dad, not ours so why should Leon say sorry to us?

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
Easy 10 said:

My thoughts exactely!

Why would anyone be OFFENDED by removing and armband worn for VIRGO's Dad. (RIP)

It's just Costa et al getting on their high horse and wanting to feel important again.

Stinky Kat

Tripping
Oct 27, 2004
Catsfield
Easy 10 said:

Bloody right. The whole thing on the phone in smacked of sensationalism and tabloid journalism and dropping Leon in the sh1t. We did not know why Leon swore at a fan so leave it to the club or leon and Adam to sort out.

I was very disappointed with IH for letting the debate continue.

Kaney

Banned
Feb 11, 2004
Brighton
Allegedly Leon swore at fans over this as well ? [/B]

Leon told the North Stand to "f*** Off", and turned away giveing the W@NKER saulte.

Saint Lennard

Prawn Sarnie Casual
Sep 30, 2004
Seafront shelters
Kaney said:
Leon told the North Stand to "f*** Off", and turned away giveing the W@NKER saulte.

mmmmmmmmmmm......... that.............hand............ feeds............ the........ Bite...........
Well done Leon for showing your maturity once again. Ever the professional.:shootself

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Saint Lennard said:
mmmmmmmmmmm......... that.............hand............ feeds............ the........ Bite...........
Well done Leon for showing your maturity once again. Ever the professional.:shootself

The shit he gets is unjust, ever week he gets it wouldnt you do something? We are ment to support him to bitch at him.

Like Richie I really believe some of it is a race issue

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Stinky Kat said:
I was very disappointed with IH for letting the debate continue.

Very true - a sentence that many people could write week-in, week-out. But in this particular case, it has real potential to cause harm. What a pair of utterly gormless past-it idiotic mouthpiece brain donors those two are.

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
Kaney said:

Let's clarify - he told the wanker who was abusing him to f*** off, not the North Stand in general, and the individual in question deserved it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here