Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Leeds sell out?

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Don't mean to be rude Yorkie but you were the one that corrected BoF in the first place.

Acording to the National Statistics office, West Yorkshire have a below average disposable income whereas the South East have the highest with outer London (incl. South London) have the very highest.

What does it prove?

a) your drop in disposable income is not representative of the regions
b) Palace may have more money but they have no idea what to spend it on. Their role model is Tango man for God sake.
c) You can't buy class. Some towns (Brighton for instance) has it in spades. Leeds and Croydon will never have it 'cause the people are ....well.... a bit crap.

Which statistics are you looking at?

http://www.statistics.gov.uk/cci/nugget.asp?id=1438

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Does anyone know if this is close to becoming a sell out, it really should be. Anything less than 7k would be very poor...:glare:

Why's that then? Are we playing a big club or something?

If it sells out, the excess will be the same morons who turned out in their thousands to watch Chelsea youth team at Withdean. Nothing to be proud of. Quite the opposite.

Starry

Captain Of The Crew
Oct 10, 2004
Starry (paddy) would you say Meanwood, Kirkstall, Chapel Allerton, Cookridge, Headingly and Alwoodley are crummy?

Pretty much, Alwoodley, Shadwell, Roundhay are nice enough most of the others are studentville, but Leeds is not a 'nice' city and not somewhere I'd want to live. Lots of nice areas around though - Boston Spa, Linton etc though. I am lusting after a house in Boston Spa that I noticed had a for sale sign up this past weekend, but we wouldn't really move!

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
If you have a choice deciding to bring your family up in a city is a tricky one. You know your kids will end different for the experience.

To someone who has regularly visited Leeds centre for work over the last 15 years - the city has improved massively in that time. Our daughter has recently started at Leeds - and I had no hesitation in leaving her there. Headingley is studentsville alright (great if you are a student) but is friendly and feels safe. It is an easy walk to the University (with plenty of buses), and from there a short walk into town. The city centre has an affluence that from the south, you feel comfortable with - and impressed. We went to Liverpool a couple of weeks ago - and that was about 10 years behind Leeds.

The city centre (and University) buildings are solid and well maintained and there is clearly plenty of money being spent on regeneration - especially around the canals (Armouries). I know there are areas of Leeds and surrounding towns to avoid - but the centre itself and student areas look to be a great place to spent a few years. I was impressed. Funnily though - in the centre you would not think you were in a multi-racial city - and after two weeks my daughter did not think she had heard more than a handful of Leeds accents.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
If you have a choice deciding to bring your family up in a city is a tricky one. You know your kids will end different for the experience.

To someone who has regularly visited Leeds centre for work over the last 15 years - the city has improved massively in that time. Our daughter has recently started at Leeds - and I had no hesitation in leaving her there. Headingley is studentsville alright (great if you are a student) but is friendly and feels safe. It is an easy walk to the University (with plenty of buses), and from there a short walk into town. The city centre has an affluence that from the south, you feel comfortable with - and impressed. We went to Liverpool a couple of weeks ago - and that was about 10 years behind Leeds.

The city centre (and University) buildings are solid and well maintained and there is clearly plenty of money being spent on regeneration - especially around the canals (Armouries). I know there are areas of Leeds and surrounding towns to avoid - but the centre itself and student areas look to be a great place to spent a few years. I was impressed. Funnily though - in the centre you would not think you were in a multi-racial city - and after two weeks my daughter did not think she had heard more than a handful of Leeds accents.

That's true enough - I'm staggered as to how affluent Leeds looks these days.

I went to uni in Bradford so visited Leeds a lot throughout the 70s and 80s - it looked like a run-down city through most of that time. There was a about a 13/14 year gap before I saw it again and it was like a new city.

Sadly, Bradford hasn't been affected by these changes and is, if anything, even more run-down. You'd never guess that they looked in a similar state in the mid-70s. Bradford still wins out as the place to go for a curry though.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
i know for a fact leeds have bought tickets in our end, 4/5 from up here of got tickets no trouble. just gave NN8 postcode and was asked how many they wanted...........

Despite the fact they're not selling tickets to people not already registered????

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
I've lived in Wetherby for 17 years. I work in Leeds after being relocated there. Leeds has improved immensely over the last 17 years. Lots of new shops, the bars and rstaurants have improved beyond recognition. What it lacks and this is surprising for a city of its size is an Arena that can show big bands and other sporting events. Oh and Elland Road is a tired looking stadium these days.

The one criticism I will say about Leeds and its probably true of all UK, is that there seems to be a bigger wealth gap. The poor in Leeds haven't really benefitted from the investment that has gone into the city. There are still huge council estates with high unemployment and the problems that go with it, yet a quarter of a mile down the road, the Apartments go for £500k plus.

I must admit to like living in Wetherby.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Leeds has undergone massive regeneration and is fantastic city. It's had a Harvey Nicolls amonst other boutiques for over a decade now. Not exactly a sign of poverty then.

Buzzer, I'm genuinely surprised that you have seemingly concluded that Leeds is a shit hole. It certainly isn't. Have you actually been there recently?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
The one criticism I will say about Leeds and its probably true of all UK, is that there seems to be a bigger wealth gap. The poor in Leeds haven't really benefitted from the investment that has gone into the city. There are still huge council estates with high unemployment and the problems that go with it, yet a quarter of a mile down the road, the Apartments go for £500k plus.

You could say the same about Brighton: you could buy two houses in Moulsecoomb or Whitehawk for the price of a one-bed flat near the town centre,

Last edited:

Caveman

Jul 14, 2003
fucks sake,

you are obviously a super fan, well done.

Far from it i am sure, but its p*ss me off when you follow the club with passion and these sort of wood wormers come out. It use to happen at the Goldstone too.

It happens with all clubs especially Leeds, they were getting 16,000 at home last season now they are winning a few this season they get 30,000.

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
You could say the same about Brighton: you could buy two house in Moulsecoomb or Whitehawk for the price of a one-bed flat near the town centre,

I know, it just seems more pronounced in Leeds. I can only judge Leeds as I dont live anywhere else. But all the money that is going into Leeds, its just for those that have money. The City Centre, Canals have all been spruced up, with land being sold or rented much to the benefit of Leeds City Council. However the same Council doesn't appear to have invested any of that into say Seacroft or Gipton. Still that seems to be the way with UK in general.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I know, it just seems more pronounced in Leeds. I can only judge Leeds as I dont live anywhere else. But all the money that is going into Leeds, its just for those that have money. The City Centre, Canals have all been spruced up, with land being sold or rented much to the benefit of Leeds City Council. However the same Council doesn't appear to have invested any of that into say Seacroft or Gipton. Still that seems to be the way with UK in general.

Again. It mirrors what happens in Brighton. There's loads of money being thrown at the centre and the well-off areas but nothing spent on outlying areas. The nursery in Moulsecoomb is about to be closed down because the council won't spend a few thousand pounds keeping it open, yet this same council seems to have plenty of money to burn when it comes to Hove or North Laine.

I guess that there are dozens of cities in the UK with a similar story.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
Despite the fact they're not selling tickets to people not already registered????

they are - at least 6 leeds fans i know of have got tickets in the south stand as they live in sussex

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here