Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lee Hendrie

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Lee Hendrie is the same age as Didier Drogba. Is anyone saying Drogba is over the hill, or his legs have gone.

Jeez, give the fella a chance to pull on the Blue and White shirt before we consign him to the 'crap loan signings' bin.

To be fair, that is a ridiculous comparison. Drogba is operating at a totally different level to Hendrie. Premier League, Champions League, World Cups. I think if you talked to Hendrie's former managers, they would probably say he had huge talent, and has squandered much of it by going on the piss and getting carried away with early success. Easy to do, but that's why he hasn't been a Premier League regular for 15 years since he first got into Villa's team.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
I personally haven't got a clue whether he'll be a hit down here, but I'm very willing to give him the benefit of the doubt at present

And so you should Mr TT, not writing him off, just giving it a bit of perspective. Innit. Same at Derby by the way, if we were linked with L.Messi there would be those that questions his '1 trick too many' and doubted his bottle....

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
To be fair, that is a ridiculous comparison. Drogba is operating at a totally different level to Hendrie. Premier League, Champions League, World Cups. I think if you talked to Hendrie's former managers, they would probably say he had huge talent, and has squandered much of it by going on the piss and getting carried away with early success. Easy to do, but that's why he hasn't been a Premier League regular for 15 years since he first got into Villa's team.

I think you'll find it's more like 5 years actually Mr T. :whistle:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
In the Argus this morning so must be true

Twinkle Toes

Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
And so you should Mr TT, not writing him off, just giving it a bit of perspective. Innit. Same at Derby by the way, if we were linked with L.Messi there would be those that questions his '1 trick too many' and doubted his bottle....

Mr TT? How VERY dare you! :blush:

ps Love the Messi comment there, btw. :lolol:

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I think you'll find it's more like 5 years actually Mr T. :whistle:

Bit of a misunderstanding possibly. I meant he hasn't been a fixture in the Premier League for the full 15 years of his career. Which he clearly hasn't. Even at Villa he was in and out of the side.

Austrian Gull

Feb 5, 2009
Linz, Austria
Mixed views on this, 6 or 7 years ago he was an England player now he can't get a game in a Derby side struggling at the lower end of the Championship. How many clubs has he had since he left Villa??

If it's with a view to a permenant signing if he impresses then it's not a bad deal however as I said with the Arismendi signing if he's not going to be here next season then I don't see any point to it. I'd prefer us to be looking at more young players for the future like the Bennetts of this world rather than over the hill has beens like Hendrie.

But, Crodo, he's played over 250 games in "the best league in the world". Surely he must be a quality addition?

Twinkle Toes

Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Bit of a misunderstanding possibly. I meant he hasn't been a fixture in the Premier League for the full 15 years of his career. Which he clearly hasn't. Even at Villa he was in and out of the side.

Ahhhhhhhh. Gotcha! :wink:

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East

Much the same as Sidwell then? ???

I wouldn't mind having him back on loan!

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Can someone bump the "Gus's Brilliant Contacts" thread?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Can't believe the crap from on here from the so called experts.I'm sure Poyet knows what he is doing so let him carry on doing what he was employed to do instead of questioning it.

A) I don't think anyone on here has ever claimed to be an expert. Just fans giving their opinions.

B) This isn't the first time we've signed a former premier league player struggling to get into a derby side that is in the lower end of the Championship. The signing of Robbie Savage last season and his resulting performances qualifies any apprehension some of us may have.

For me, Lee Hendrie has one of those faces and that sort of demeanour, similar to Gary Neville that just makes me think he's someone I wouldn't want to spend any time with if I could possibly avoid it.

Having said that, I understand this is nothing to do with his playing, and I hope that he is a success, but I'm not going to get too excited having been burned before by the promise of former Premier League player coming here with all his years of experience and simply a natural level of skill that is higher than anything in league one.

I am, though, slightly more optimistic than I would otherwise be in the situation, because Gus has done well and gives me hope.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
A) I don't think anyone on here has ever claimed to be an expert. Just fans giving their opinions.

B) This isn't the first time we've signed a former premier league player struggling to get into a derby side that is in the lower end of the Championship. The signing of Robbie Savage last season and his resulting performances qualifies any apprehension some of us may have.

For me, Lee Hendrie has one of those faces and that sort of demeanour, similar to Gary Neville that just makes me think he's someone I wouldn't want to spend any time with if I could possibly avoid it.

Having said that, I understand this is nothing to do with his playing, and I hope that he is a success, but I'm not going to get too excited having been burned before by the promise of former Premier League player coming here with all his years of experience and simply a natural level of skill that is higher than anything in league one.

I am, though, slightly more optimistic than I would otherwise be in the situation, because Gus has done well and gives me hope.

I think the change in coaching makes me view this VERY differently to the Savage situation.

Laughing Gravy

I'm a ****
Jan 8, 2010
In my bungalow
I think its a good move by Gus. I was at the Brentford game and we lost two players that night. Imagine if we lost two of our current midfield players to long term injuries, we would have to rely on what we had before which clearly wasnt good enough. I know in my heart we are safe now, but i stil want the team to keep pushing on and finish just outside the play offs and to do that we need cover, just in case.
Gus has told him that he has got to fight for his place and he is not a kid anymore, so maybe he is not the cock that he once was.

We have got to give the guy a chance. If he is willing to come here, we have got to get behind him and give him our support :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here