Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Leaving before the final whistle...

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Ok, I'll take my son for a pint shall I ! Think b4 you speak!

He doesn't have to drink beer, does he? I also said some people have valid reasons, and if it is an evening game I can completely understand it. Although your reason seems to be that you have a son, which doesn't sound like a reason at all to me. Why don't you let him watch the end of the game?

Also, if you are old enough to have a son then you are too old to be using text speak like 'b4'.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Yeah, exactly, and yet the Emirates is still emptying 10 minutes before the final whistle. That's my point, people DO leave before the end to "beat the rush" regardless of how good the transport links are, that's just the modern mindset; or so it seems to me. Which is why I disagreed with the post that said the club were bound to do something about the transport links. It's not teh transport links that make people leave early, as they also do it in London where the transport links are miles beyond anything we could ever reproduce.

It doesn't help tho, does it? I never used to leave before the final whistle, but I more or less have to now if I don't want to add an hour to my journey home.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Its interesting all the people saying they leave early to get home early - I'm just interested if those same people leave a concert, or the cinema or a London theatre show early to get home early. Or is this just a football phenomenon.

Geriatric Seagull

Nov 10, 2009
Littlehampton
It'll be fascinating to see what (if anything) the club propose to do if the planning application for another 7000 (or is it 8000) is to succeed. At the moment the very few comments that seem to come from the club suggest an amazing degree of complacency. The whole process of getting to and from games for those of us living outside of the Brighton area is a nightmare and greatly reduces the pleasure of watching games in the new stadium. Not everyone wants to get to the ground more than an hour before kick-off, and we don't particularly want to leave before the end, but at the moment we have little choice, especially midweek. The stadium is excellent, the transport and access arrangements a mess!
No, it's not a whinge - it's an opinion and I fear, for many, a fact!

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
I hope you mean London Road rather than London Bridge! :)

There was one between those two, at 1425 - and to be fair it had about 8 or 12 carriages. But that was about the only thing they got right. Why was the 1709 from Falmer to Brighton cancelled - anyone know? That was the cause of the big delays after the end of the match, because the early leavers couldn't get away.

Yes, London Road.

Was there? It wasn't on the timetable.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Its interesting all the people saying they leave early to get home early - I'm just interested if those same people leave a concert, or the cinema or a London theatre show early to get home early. Or is this just a football phenomenon.

Well if you don't live in Brighton then for midweek games it's not so much a case of getting home early, as getting home at all!

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
people DO leave before the end to "beat the rush" regardless of how good the transport links are

Some and Some I think. My reason is defo the transport, if it worked better or I could get somewhere on foot I'd stay, and really want to but the P&R is so crap and I've just run out of patience.

Here's yesterday. I left on 90 and ran up to the buses. There's already a queue obviously and the idiot steward at the top of the line is going to get a punch sometime soon I reckon. Firstly there's the one bus at a time daftness then the bus fills up but he's not stopping people getting on once it fills ..... then he thinks "I'll have a look in" ... sees it's chocca with about 15 people standing .. he then tells the standers to go upstairs as "it's illegal to have more than 3 standing" so a few go up, then they come down and say it's full .. so he then says that the standers have all got to get off ... no one moves so he says "the bus isn't going anywhere till 3 of you get off (not sure where he got 3 ... apart from it said 3 standing) eventually 3 get off and we get going

OK it was only 2/3 minutes but that probably adds 10 or so at the back of the line as all this time the next bus wasn't getting loaded. It's a complete balls up and loading multiple buses is hardly rocket science .. just have stewards at top of stairs roughly counting bodies through and directing them to specific bus. I can only assume they don't cos the buses would fill and then they run out of buses?

So I think more would stay if things could be improved ... before the moan at moaners come on, I'm not expecting to walk out and jump on a bus but then I don't expect to walk out and wait in a queue for 45 minutes or more when it could be done so much quicker by applying just a modicum of intelligence

Mileoakman

Aug 11, 2003
The name gives it away

Fair point but I think its unlikely you went to the cinema or theatre with a 20k crowd inside the building. I suppose it depends a bit where you sit. I stayed till the end and watched Gus and the Barnsley Manager shake hands. From the West Stand middle section I hot footed it over the bridge to the University Car Park and was home in Mile Oak at 5:25 which was quicker than when I did the Park and Ride at Withdean. I would imagine someone taking the same route from The East Stand and leaving at the same time they might have been 5 minutes or so behind me which would probably meant a much longer wait getting over the footbridge.

Theres a couple of elderly punters who sit in front of me who always leave 15 minutes from the end but if thats what they want to do then thats fine as far as I can see. I suppose you could argue that those that leave early make it a bit easier for those who stay because if 20k left at the same time I think you would have even worse problems.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
The whole issue of people leaving early is really starting to piss me off BIG TIME. If CMS can run his bollocks off for 96 minutes can't we stay on our backsides and support him and the rest of the team for the full duration of the game?

Yesterday, from 85 minutes onwards, it was a constant flow of people coming past, obstructing the view etc, so much so that by the full time whistle I reckon 25% of the crowd had left.

BUT I do understand the reasons why people leave early, and as others have said on here, the answers from the Club (from the very beginning of the stadium opening)regarding transport issues have been complacent in the extreme. Yes, they cleared the queues to the Park and Ride yesterday in just under and hour, however this is only because so many people have left before the end of the game.

There ARE several things that could be done, but I'm afraid that on the subject of transport issues the club don't seem to want to listen.

I am sure the club aren't happy to see so many empty seats by the time the final whistle goes, but what exactly are they doing about it?

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
It'll be fascinating to see what (if anything) the club propose to do if the planning application for another 7000 (or is it 8000) is to succeed. At the moment the very few comments that seem to come from the club suggest an amazing degree of complacency. The whole process of getting to and from games for those of us living outside of the Brighton area is a nightmare and greatly reduces the pleasure of watching games in the new stadium. Not everyone wants to get to the ground more than an hour before kick-off, and we don't particularly want to leave before the end, but at the moment we have little choice, especially midweek. The stadium is excellent, the transport and access arrangements a mess!

This. I think it makes a huge difference where you live. I actually gave one of our midweek games a miss because that night (for various reasons) I simply couldn't face the hastle of trying to get back to London afterwards.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Here's yesterday. I left on 90 and ran up to the buses. There's already a queue obviously and the idiot steward at the top of the line is going to get a punch sometime soon I reckon. Firstly there's the one bus at a time daftness then the bus fills up but he's not stopping people getting on once it fills ..... then he thinks "I'll have a look in" ... sees it's chocca with about 15 people standing .. he then tells the standers to go upstairs as "it's illegal to have more than 3 standing" so a few go up, then they come down and say it's full .. so he then says that the standers have all got to get off ... no one moves so he says "the bus isn't going anywhere till 3 of you get off (not sure where he got 3 ... apart from it said 3 standing) eventually 3 get off and we get going

Did he not have one of those clickers to count people on?

AlastairWatts

Nov 1, 2009
High Wycombe
and the fact that the first train back to Brighton was cancelled, that you might as well use the park and ride 'cos whichever way you go home it's still a nightmare. Going to see Albion is a big day out for me: and it's ruined for me by the lack of reasonably priced car parking and the asburd transport arrangements. Oh for the old Goldstone, where you could park withn ten or fifteen minutes walk, toddle down to the ground with maybe time for a beer on the way.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
I actually gave one of our midweek games a miss because that night (for various reasons) I simply couldn't face the hastle of trying to get back to London afterwards.

Same here, and to be honest I don't think I'll bother with any more midweek games, unless it's a massive game. It just isn't worth the hassle.

pigbite

Sep 9, 2007
Can you pick up buses to Mithral House outside the station? Seems like there is plenty of space there to put on buses just to go down to the P&R.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Get the bus back to Rottindean after games. Managed to get one around an hour after the end last night. That is considered not bad.

Am going to leave early at the England game...

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast

I'm interested to hear the last cinema or theatre show you went to with 19,870 other people...

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Same here, and to be honest I don't think I'll bother with any more midweek games, unless it's a massive game. It just isn't worth the hassle.
The club should be reading this.

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
The whole issue of people leaving early is really starting to piss me off BIG TIME. If CMS can run his bollocks off for 96 minutes can't we stay on our backsides and support him and the rest of the team for the full duration of the game?

Yesterday, from 85 minutes onwards, it was a constant flow of people coming past, obstructing the view etc, so much so that by the full time whistle I reckon 25% of the crowd had left.

BUT I do understand the reasons why people leave early, and as others have said on here, the answers from the Club (from the very beginning of the stadium opening)regarding transport issues have been complacent in the extreme. Yes, they cleared the queues to the Park and Ride yesterday in just under and hour, however this is only because so many people have left before the end of the game.

There ARE several things that could be done, but I'm afraid that on the subject of transport issues the club don't seem to want to listen.

I am sure the club aren't happy to see so many empty seats by the time the final whistle goes, but what exactly are they doing about it?

I think given where the AMEX is, there is a limit to the quickness the crowds can be disbursed ultimately.

Year ago grounds like the Goldstone, Selhurst etc were built where supporters lived, a lot could just walk out of the ground off the terraces and be home in a few minutes. Don't forget the terracing gates used to be open about 15 minutes before the end, someone could literally walk out of the ground without disturbing the remaining spectators.

Now with all-seating and H and S concerns, that idea has all gone. And where the Amex is there is only one way home in the main, towards the station/A27.

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011

Oh, put a sock in it. the transport arrangements are fine.

If you want to leave early, then leave early.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here