Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Leaving before the final whistle...

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
But now we leave and run from WSU for park n ride Mithras buses, half through injury time.
At the isolated Amex, it's the difference between getting home 4 miles away, 30 minutes later or 90 minutes later. We want to get home, and not waste our lives stuck in an Amex car park 23 times a season.
You know it's only a 25 minute walk to Mithras House. I do realise that's not an option for everyone, but for most it should be.

matthew

Sep 20, 2009
Ovingdean, United Kingdom
I went when the 4 minutes added time was announced yesterday and got home 30 minutes quicker than usual, i don't normally do it but it takes so long to get out of the AMEX compared to other grounds.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
I don't really see why people leave early on an afternoon kick off. I leave the second the final whistle goes for an evening game, or sometimes a bit early if the result isn't in doubt because I have to get back up to London and leaving 5 minutes early can literally make an hour's difference to the time I get home. But leaving early to ensure I get home at midnight instead of 1am is very different to leaving early to make sure I get home at 7.30pm instead of 8.30pm. Obviously some people have valid reasons, but I really cant see why thousands need to leave before the final whistle at 4.50pm in the afternoon.

I hung around for a pint after the game yesterday and strolled down to the station at 6.15 to get my train. No queue, no hassle. It's only evening games when it is a real problem.

darters74

Jun 9, 2011
All over the place
Why do people care if people leave early or not. It is f***ing pathetic. "Oh no, the man next to me has left 2 minutes early"! North Stand Moan this site should be called!

darters74

Jun 9, 2011
All over the place
I don't really see why people leave early on an afternoon kick off. I leave the second the final whistle goes for an evening game, or sometimes a bit early if the result isn't in doubt because I have to get back up to London and leaving 5 minutes early can literally make an hour's difference to the time I get home. But leaving early to ensure I get home at midnight instead of 1am is very different to leaving early to make sure I get home at 7.30pm instead of 8.30pm. Obviously some people have valid reasons, but I really cant see why thousands need to leave before the final whistle at 4.50pm in the afternoon.

I hung around for a pint after the game yesterday and strolled down to the station at 6.15 to get my train. No queue, no hassle. It's only evening games when it is a real problem.

Ok, I'll take my son for a pint shall I ! Think b4 you speak!

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
I'll remind her of that when she's freezing cold and dying for a piss and stood in a queue for an hour - the man from NSC said 'suffer babe - its all part of being an Albion fan - good character building and all that!!!

She'll thank you for it one day.............................

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
this is very amusing.

When we were at Pissfield, we would NEVER get home from an evening game much before one o'clock in the morning........

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

Wait, so, the club don't serve anything but pints?! No tea, coffee, hot chocolate, water, fruit juices, fizzy pop? How on earth did this happen? Why aren't the club catering for the families that come to the amex? Disgraceful, Bloom out! Perry out! Azure out!

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
And if we have real designs on getting to the Premier League in the future, imagine the binfest due to our kick-off times then!!!!

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
It is a tad embarrassing but understand people's reasoning, maybe that will force the club into acting on the transport issues a bit sooner

No it won't. It's a fact of life at football these days. Not exactly sure why, whether we just used to lock fans in more often, or you didn't see it so much on terrac es, or whether fans generally travel further to games these days, but you do see it everywhere. Even with umpteen bus services, and an enormous underground transport system, grounds across London empty with 10 mins to go, so I can't see the Albion doing enough to the transport links.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
As other people have commented, it's all to do with the crap transport arrangements. Until they sort the trains out this will always be the case. I live in London and not leaving before the final whistle can literally make hours of difference to your journey home. I left on 90 minutes yesterday, but still couldn't get on a train from Falmer to Brighton until 1735 (ie a good half an hour after the game had ended). Of course I missed the fast connection to London, and didn't get home till after 8pm.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Just out of interest, was it a Sunday rail service yesterday?

I left just after the final whistle (appluaded CMS off before leaving), so when I got the the station the queue was back to the programme booths on the approach. There seemed to be a lot less B'ton bound trains than usual, and i only just got on the 5:53 service.. There was a large gap between the 5:35 and 5:53, where surely another train could/should/would have been for a saturday game?

FYI it was basically 2 hours seat to my front door, via long queue at Falmer (circa 50 mins), train to Brighton, venture through the newly installed maze system at Brighton Station (I still prefer the one at Hampton Court), train from Brighton to Durrington (Littlehampton service), with a 15 minute wait at Hove, and then taxi home.

On a Saturday I wouldn't mind getting home at 7pm, and I would ordinarily stay in the ground for a drink to let the queues die down, but as it was a Sunday and I had work the next day, the desire to carry on drinking was less intense.

I can't wait to get back to Saturday 3pm kick-offs.

Papa

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
No it won't. It's a fact of life at football these days. Not exactly sure why, whether we just used to lock fans in more often, or you didn't see it so much on terrac es, or whether fans generally travel further to games these days, but you do see it everywhere. Even with umpteen bus services, and an enormous underground transport system, grounds across London empty with 10 mins to go, so I can't see the Albion doing enough to the transport links.

The difference is, you walk out of a London game, walk in any direction and - to state the bleeding obvious - you're in London! You'll always find some alternative transport route that doesn't involve standing in a queue of thousands of people, even if it means a slight walk or a bit of lateral thinking. Same was true of The Goldstone and Withdean. Even Gillingham. Rightly or wrongly, people seem to have a perception of the Amex as being trapped in a queue in the back of beyond after matches, and they want to beat that queue. Have to say that any time I see somebody in a mobility scooter or a mum/dad with one or more tiny kids in tow, I feel nothing but the utmost respect for them for coming. So far as I'm concerned they can leave any time they damn well please. And having spoken to a lovely couple from Exeter (the lady has a season ticket and has to time the trains with military precision or make it a two day trip for midweek games) I can see that everybody has their reasons for leaving when they do. In the end, everybody just wants to get home with the minimum of drama.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea

I left just after the final whistle (appluaded CMS off before leaving), so when I got the the station the queue was back to the programme booths on the approach. There seemed to be a lot less B'ton bound trains than usual, and i only just got on the 5:53 service.. There was a large gap between the 5:35 and 5:53, where surely another train could/should/would have been for a saturday game?

The first train to Brighton (which was then a train to Eastbourne later) was cancelled due to staff shortages, hence the big gap

N17

Jun 21, 2011
Fans leaving early seems to be a part of modern football.
WHL was never too bad for it in the past but that has changed over the last 2 or 3 seasons. It is pretty much the same everywhere now.
Dunno what will happen if we ever get our shiny new 60k seater.

When i went to the pre-season game at the AMEX i left a few mins early & was home in 45 mins. Bliss.
When i do Sunday games at home at the Lane it is generally 3 hours each way (i concur with the Southern Rail are shite comments) & leaving early is makes no real difference so i dont bother.

However, if leaving 5 mins early meant i got home an hour earlier, i would probably do it.

P.S congrats on the win. Living in the area (originally from the smoke though) means a lot of my mates are Albion so i always want you to do well.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

There are a few of us who have a drink with our kids after, especially for a Saturday 3pm ko. I often bring a little packed lunch for them for their tea, they are mainly 5-7yr olds and it's much easier walking straight down to the train at 6pm rather than joining a massive queue at around 5pm. Not sure [MENTION=2095]Commander[/MENTION] was suggesting anything particularly out of order...

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003

FYI it was basically 2 hours seat to my front door, via long queue at Falmer (circa 50 mins), train to Brighton, venture through the newly installed maze system at Brighton Station (I still prefer the one at Hampton Court), train from Brighton to Durrington (Littlehampton service), with a 15 minute wait at Hove, and then taxi home.

On a Saturday I wouldn't mind getting home at 7pm, and I would ordinarily stay in the ground for a drink to let the queues die down, but as it was a Sunday and I had work the next day, the desire to carry on drinking was less intense.

I can't wait to get back to Saturday 3pm kick-offs.

Papa

Yes, it was.

Two trains to the stadium that stopped at London Bridge on the way in the hour before kick off. Incredible. We couldn't get on the 14:12 so got a taxi as didn't want to risk missing kick off by getting to 14:43. Maybe we should have thought ahead or maybe the trains should have had more than 4 carriages.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Yes, it was.

Two trains to the stadium that stopped at London Bridge on the way in the hour before kick off. Incredible. We couldn't get on the 14:12 so got a taxi as didn't want to risk missing kick off by getting to 14:43. Maybe we should have thought ahead or maybe the trains should have had more than 4 carriages.

I hope you mean London Road rather than London Bridge! :)

There was one between those two, at 1425 - and to be fair it had about 8 or 12 carriages. But that was about the only thing they got right. Why was the 1709 from Falmer to Brighton cancelled - anyone know? That was the cause of the big delays after the end of the match, because the early leavers couldn't get away.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Staff Shortages they announced it when we were in the queue on the other side.

They did put on extra carriages coming the other way as the 14:00 Lewes train had 8, the last one didn't fit on the platform so people had to walk through.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
The difference is, you walk out of a London game, walk in any direction and - to state the bleeding obvious - you're in London! You'll always find some alternative transport route that doesn't involve standing in a queue of thousands of people, even if it means a slight walk or a bit of lateral thinking.

Yeah, exactly, and yet the Emirates is still emptying 10 minutes before the final whistle. That's my point, people DO leave before the end to "beat the rush" regardless of how good the transport links are, that's just the modern mindset; or so it seems to me. Which is why I disagreed with the post that said the club were bound to do something about the transport links. It's not teh transport links that make people leave early, as they also do it in London where the transport links are miles beyond anything we could ever reproduce.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here