Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Larry Boyd rejoins the Albion

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Lloyd made some mistakes true but then who didn't ? I think Steve Coppell was about the only manager who didn't make any really bad signings, Adams brought in Cameron and Jamie Campbell. Taylor got us that donkey Damian Webb and McGhee got a few in too. People forget Lloyd made a hansom profit on the likes of Nogan and also had the misfortune of the complete tossers in the boardroom that are thankfully now just a bad memory. Personally I think he's a great acquisition. As for Mullery, he spent money on some real crap, Chris Catlin should never have been sacked in the first place but didn't he sign Fashinu ?

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
Lloyd brought in Garry Nelson, Kevin Bremner, John Byrne, Sergei Gotsmanov, Mike Small and lots of other very talented players and a man of his experience will be invaluable in unearthing a few gems.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
lets hope he gets no where near team affairs. The bloke has always been bad and hasnt been on the prof game for 15 years. Chapman , white , wilkins and lloyd..............that is shit

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Didnt I recall Harty saying that Barry Lloyd once offered Archer "outside"...

Barry obviolusly saw signs of things to come.

One thing you cant question is the fact that Barry did love the Albion.

Dave the OAP

Jul 5, 2003
at home
This is quite interesting news.

BL tells some very interesting stories about the goings on behind the scenes in his managerial days and just how strapped we were for cash and within whisker of going out of business.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Who cares if we had a negative goal difference? It was a great season & good to watch... attacking football.

We did get relegated the next season - after Lloyd was forced to sell Micky Small & John Byrne (and Nelson had left too). He then bought Farrington (awful) and Gall (who was top quality)... shame Gall didn't play again

Can't argue with that but the original point I made was that he was a good scout and an ok manager in difficult times. It was then suggested by Bristol that he was one of the most succesful recent managers....he wasn't as for whatever reason having nearly taken us up, he then took us down.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
How many League cup games did we win under Lloyd? A big fat zero springs to mind!

Stumpy Tim

Can't argue with that but the original point I made was that he was a good scout and an ok manager in difficult times. It was then suggested by Bristol that he was one of the most succesful recent managers....he wasn't as for whatever reason having nearly taken us up, he then took us down.

IMO he was better than Brady & Horton... and obviously much better than Case & Wood. Not as good as Coppell, Taylor or Adams though of course

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
If he can find us another Nicky Bissett, Robert Codner or John Crumplin then I would'nt complain.

can't agree with that either. Remember 2 of these players cost a then conference record and prob more money than we have now.

John Crumplin became a cult largely due to the rest of the players around him becoming shite and him as a result starting to resemble a footballer.

I just hope Barry Lloyd doesnt bring in a load of non leaguers like he used too + I hope that if things go wrong with DW then BL will not even be in temprary charge of the club. Im amazed he'll be welcomed back to be honest. Alot of people wont tolerate him in the dugout

BARRY BARRY BARRY OUT OUT OUT

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
can't agree with that either. Remember 2 of these players cost a then conference record and prob more money than we have now.

John Crumplin became a cult largely due to the rest of the players around him becoming shite and him as a result starting to resemble a footballer.

I just hope Barry Lloyd doesnt bring in a load of non leaguers like he used too + I hope that if things go wrong with DW then BL will not even be in temprary charge of the club. Im amazed he'll be welcomed back to be honest. Alot of people wont tolerate him in the dugout

BARRY BARRY BARRY OUT OUT OUT

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

There is one bonus to this appointment - we should never have to suffer the bumbling fool on the Seagull World commentary again. :clap2::clap2::clap2:

Don Tmatter

Jul 7, 2003
dont matter
If this is the best we can do for a chief scout then God help us,Listening to him as co-commentator, you'd wonder how he'd tell a good player from a crap one.

I can't recall a more unpopular Albion manager with the fans in the last 30 years, probably only MM running him close.

Jobs for the boys again

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
If this is the best we can do for a chief scout then God help us,Listening to him as co-commentator, you'd wonder how he'd tell a good player from a crap one.

I can't recall a more unpopular Albion manager with the fans in the last 30 years, probably only MM running him close.

Jobs for the boys again

Industry as a whole and football in particular is replete with 'jobs for the boys' to the extent that it is now a phrase with little or no value. If he can do a decent job in unearthing some decent players, what's the problem in someone employing the services of someone they know?

If you don't want him here, that's one thing, but to say he has only got a job because he knows some people at the Albion, well... that's how commerce works.

FWIW, he was just about the most mercurial manager we had. Two relegations and one promotion, with one near-promotion. He unearthed some abolsute gems - people who are now Albion heroes, some of whom are still at the club in various capacities. Sure he had some absolute stinkers as well, but who didn't? Even Alex Ferguson bought some donkeys. Having said that, he would often speak to people (including fans) as if they were a piece of shit.

On balance, I think it's a good move.

Last edited:

byf

Sep 26, 2003
Bournemouth
The man hasnt worked full-time for close to 15 years.....what are the club doing?

Is this another way of saving £100 p/month

Why couldnt we bring in a decent cheif scout from another club...a man that has a background of un-earthing greats.

Why did we employ that bloke from millwall....as cheif exec...why not bring in Brian Horton or Kurt Nogan to do it?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here