Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Kyle Walker-Peters

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
This would really pi55 Mrs DiS off. Things would be tense in this household!

Oh_aye

Jul 8, 2022
Would be all over this. But can't see it if his contract is running out i expect clubs with more resources / higher wages will be tempted.

Maybe a swap with someone if possible? Moder or lamptey

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
I hope Lamptey will stay. Think he was one of the better players in the spring and it seems he has learnt to play around losing a bit of that explosivity a few years ago. He is more of a crosser than a dribbler now and his crossing is great actually. With three CBs probably being the tactic, Veltman is more likely to play CB anyway so would be room for both KWP/Lamptey.
I think 3 centre backs would make Lamptey look a very different player. He clearly doesn't have the physicality to play in a back 4, but as a wing back, with a Veltman, or a Webster to come across and cover if he's caught the wrong side of the ball, that's a different matter

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
I hope Lamptey will stay. Think he was one of the better players in the spring and it seems he has learnt to play around losing a bit of that explosivity a few years ago. He is more of a crosser than a dribbler now and his crossing is great actually. With three CBs probably being the tactic, Veltman is more likely to play CB anyway so would be room for both KWP/Lamptey.
Not as good as Jiri Skalak, when it comes to crossing the ball and we didn't get sentimental about moving him on.

pigmanovich

Good Old Sausage by the Sea
Mar 16, 2024
London
I think 3 centre backs would make Lamptey look a very different player. He clearly doesn't have the physicality to play in a back 4, but as a wing back, with a Veltman, or a Webster to come across and cover if he's caught the wrong side of the ball, that's a different matter
Fair -- but I'm conscious his contract expires in a year and we probably don't want to extend.

GrossTurn

Jun 20, 2020
Something would just feel very right/cosy about this signing. Seems a very reliably solid modern PL full back, with a load of experience, but still in his peak years.

(Which is why I’m not gonna get my hopes up!)

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
I think we really need some players in his age group too.

We could sign another £15m wonderkid for rightwing back but this guy is quality and has the experience to really shore up our right side.

I wonder if Lamptey could go the other way?
Is he that good? Soton team that struggled and then went down, didn’t move when they went down and don’t really him mentioned a great deal. Is he all that?

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Is he that good? Soton team that struggled and then went down, didn’t move when they went down and don’t really him mentioned a great deal. Is he all that?
My thoughts as well. Seen him a few times for Saints, he looked decent, but nothing more. Compare to when Livramento came, season before last for about 10 mins and looked a baller. It was nothing like that.

Got to say i'm not looking at any of the possible right back options with huge excitement. The way I see it if we can't pull a rabbit out of the hat with another random player from a foreign league, let's work with what we've got. Lamptey, Hinsh and Offiah. There's potential to work with there.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Fair -- but I'm conscious his contract expires in a year and we probably don't want to extend.
When fit he featured a lot. Surely we will (and probably have) offer him a new deal.

He probably wants to know, quite fairly, is he staying as first choice or back up? The club is entitled to say back to him, given his injury record we're looking at signing another player for that position, but the spot is there to win. The ball is then in his court

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
I rate him and would be pleased if we got him.

I dont read anything into that he was in a side that went down etc.

Correct. Jimmy Case is one of our best ever players, he was loyal and stayed after relegation.

pigmanovich

Good Old Sausage by the Sea
Mar 16, 2024
London
When fit he featured a lot. Surely we will (and probably have) offer him a new deal.

He probably wants to know, quite fairly, is he staying as first choice or back up? The club is entitled to say back to him, given his injury record we're looking at signing another player for that position, but the spot is there to win. The ball is then in his court
Stating the obvious here but "when fit" is doing a lot of work in that sentence.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Stating the obvious here but "when fit" is doing a lot of work in that sentence.
It's a fair comment. But I do think the club rate a fit Lamptey as good enough for our first team squad. I reckon we will offer him a deal. Although he's clearly had injury problems, there's no sense that he's not going to have a top division career or a career at all, we're not in Izquierdo territory here.

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
He was a little bit shit the season they went down but did well for a few years before that. This is perhaps not someone to sell for £100m in a few years but a good player who can play in a top 10 team. If you scan the right back market this summer, "good player" is about as good as it'll get.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003
With Lallana gone, Webster/Lamptey on the fringes and Welbeck/Milner not having long left, signing a HGP is something we will need to consider. This one ticks a few boxes. Get him in.

He certainly ticks a lot of boxes but the HGP situation isnt that bad (yet).

Our named 25 man squad after the January 2024 window consisted of just 20 players (including Dahoud and Rushworth who were out on loan). 12 of that 20 were HGPs (again that includes Rushworth).

Only 8 spots in the 25 are reserved for HGPs so we’ve still got a bit of scope plus we will have some players who will no longer be u21s that will also be HGPs like Offiah and Sarmiento if they don’t go out on loan.

Also looking to the future I’m fairly certain players like Facundo and Enciso will become HGPs as they’ll have done the required 36 months or 3 full seasons before the end of the season they turn 21.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here