Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Knocky Retires

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Passion. Emotion. Flair. Excitement. How many players tick all of those boxes? We could stay in the Prem for another 20 years but I don't think we'll have many who will be as loved here as Knocky.

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
Knocky will always hold a special, special place in my heart. Promotion season was the year I met and married my wife. Her first ever game was the 5-0 drubbing of Norwich at the Amex. I remember where we were in Oxford when Sidwell scored the screamer and dedicated it to Anthony’s dad. To be fair, I pretty much remember where I was every game that season, and he is part of those memories. “We’ve got Knockaert” still remains the only other Brighton song my wife knows. To think he had lost his brother, dad and was soon to be divorced, all before I got married, is really sobering. He went through so much, and in hindsight performed ridiculously admirably through it all.

As somebody mentioned earlier in the thread, the performance I will remember best is the semi-final 2nd leg the season before. I’d travelled down from Coventry after booking the afternoon off. The feeling on the train when we found out he was in the lineup was electric. Those first 20 minutes of the game were spine-tingling.

Incidentally, it took until after that game to realise that the lyrics of his song were “he’s better than Özil”. Up until then I’d thought it was “he’s better than Brazil”. Well Anthony, many times it seemed like you could have taken on an entire country, so for me you always will be better than Brazil. Love you, petit magician.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here