Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Knocky Retires

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
So many superlatives have been said about him which I won't repeat but have never wanted a player in the stripes to be a success more than I did him once we got to the Premier League. His abilities in the Championship are unparalled for me but fell marginally short of being an established Premier League player which was a shame.

Phenomenal impact to the squad's performances attitude and character. Such a huge part of #together as well opitomising what that meant both in his contribution and the togetherness shown by the squad in his dark times.

His arrival came out of the blue as usual for us I suppose and at a not unsubstantial fee of £2.5m (if memory serves) and the fact that once he was sadly surplus to requirements we managed to extract something in the region all in of £15m from Fulham was incredible value. (Loan fee, wage contribution and eventual £10m transfer fee).

Thank you Anthony. A wonderful player to watch, a fantastic human being and superb servant to the club. Well worth your long lived legacy of joy.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I was in the queue for the fish and chip van on the outside concourse before the home play-off leg v Massive when the team news came out. There was no expectation he was going to play as he‘d been injured in the first leg. The team announcement caused an absolute buzz in everyone waiting as word very quickly spread - ‘Knocky’s playing !!’. That happening, and the fact I can recall it so vividly, is a measure of his importance to us at the time and his potential impact on a game.

Mercurial and almost unplayable at Championship level at his best, always wore his heart on his sleeve and also always seemed to me a bit fragile and needed to be loved/be the centre of attention but I think that goes with the type of character he is (he sought and adored the attention from when in the crowd at Chelsea and West Ham too). Huge, huge part of our promotion and so many iconic incidents - that goal at Palace topping them all (and giving me several bruises as I was bundled over two rows of seats :laugh:).

Best of luck Knocky and thanks for the memories :love:

HantsSeagull

Aug 17, 2011
Caught in a Riptide
Any excuse to post this gem - one of the best fan photos ever after his greatest goal (not my photo)

IMG_8445.JPG

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Not the greatest player we've ever had but a player who was part of the greatest period we've ever had. A huge cog in a massive wheel that was BHA in 2017 as we bulldozed our way to the promised land.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
When we'd just signed him I was talking to a Leicester fan and said I couldn't remember watching a Brighton player with such flair and such passion. It just seemed too good to be true.

My friend sighed a bit and said something along the lines of: yes, he's flair, and he's got passion, and he's very good. But maybe not quite as good as you're currently thinking.

Watching him for us was exhilirating and exasperating, sometimes at different times, sometimes within the same match. When he got on the ball and headed goalwards the entire stadium seemed to rise to its feet. That stopped happening towards the end of his time here as there was a sense that he was biting off more than he could chew.

That said, I couldn't believe it when I heard he was being let go. My conclusion was that Potter didn't really want many "ego" players in his squad.

For all his faults, Knocky was possibly the perfect Brighton player. A flawed genius, unplayable on his day, and sometimes more passionate than the crowd. We like players like that, don't we?

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
Every time he got the ball I was on the edge of my seat, I don't remember many at Brighton making me feel like that, passionate, insane, loved a tantrum, everything you want from a talisman. Truly one of the greats at this club.

Dr Q

Jul 29, 2004
Cobbydale
As was that moment wen Sidwell scored that cracker against Bristol City and ran to the bench to pick up the shirt with his name on the back
Still brings a lump to the throat when you see it again. Very emotional moment.

Knocky was a legend. Happy retirement fella.

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
In the Championship he was unplayable. I'd never seen anything like it, not until Mitoma came along!

If he was 1v1, the defender needn't bother turning up.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
He was real box office. He clearly loved the game and the club. And we loved him.

Wish him and his family much love for whatever the future holds.

Thanks Knocky :love:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here