Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Knight set to scapegoat McGhee?

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
The point of this thread was to express the opinion that Knight may well sack McGhee but he may do it for the wrong reasons.Knight obviously firmly believes that McGhee is the right man for the job but to please the supporters and I guess his fellow shareholders (see other thread) then he may do what actually he doesn't believe in. I suppose my concern is this highlights the fact that the club is now not run in such a controlled way with Knight now having to please a variety of people as opposed to having a very clear plan before that he followed.

My point is therefore that post McGhee this will still be the case and I suspect that is the real problem we have, and whilst I want McGhee out now for some bizarre team selections and treatment of players I do not blame him 100% for the state we find ourselves in now.

And I object to the word spastic as a term of abuse, please don't use it again. Or if you do, go and use it on a thread that is meant for school children and not proper debate.

Last edited:

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Re: Re: Knight set to scapegoat McGhee?

Brixtaan said:
You certainly don't you spastic

Very intelligent. Started back at school yet?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
London Irish said:
Swindon had a better second half of the season than us, so were a better form team than us. They had higher quality players like Parkin and Igoe and had a better record against us that season.

Nothing fortunate whatsoever about that very disciplined first-leg victory at the County Ground, you have obviously been inhaling too much of whatever Andy King added to those cigars of his.
You really haven't got a clue.

Giraffe said:
The point of this thread was to express the opinion that Knight may well sack McGhee but he may do it for the wrong reasons.Knight obviously firmly believes that McGhee is the right man for the job but to please the supporters and I guess his fellow shareholders (see other thread) then he may do what actually he doesn't believe in. I suppose my concern is this highlights the fact that the club is now not run in such a controlled way with Knight now having to please a variety of people as opposed to having a very clear plan before that he followed.

My point is therefore that post McGhee this will still be the case and I suspect that is the real problem we have

Yep, I agree. Can't help the feeling that there was more to that business in the summer that met the eye, and that what you saw was preliminary manoeuvring over the future control of the Albion.

vulture

Banned
Jul 26, 2004
London Irish said:
No, I give him some credit but the main has to go to McGhee, after all, he got the vast majority of the points and then successfully negotiated the play-offs against what was on paper two better teams.

Coppell's legacy was somewhat diminished because of his short-termist reliance on knackered older players (Blackwell, Rodger) and disappearing loan guys (Henderson). You could see the problems the squad had during that unsuccessful interim period when we couldn't buy a win. That was not a squad on a high brimming with confidence, it was in a slump - it had holes in the first team and needed both player and tactical renewal, which McGhee gave it.

:shootself :shootself :shootself :shootself :shootself :shootself

Lawro's Lip

Feb 14, 2004
West Kent
London Irish said:

That was not a squad on a high brimming with confidence, it was in a slump - it had holes in the first team and needed both player and tactical renewal, which McGhee gave it.

True, at that time, but situations change and where are we now?

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
London Irish said:
Ner ner de ner ner

London Irish. I've accepted you're in love with Mcghee but if you really want his baby's you can stick your tongue as far up his arse as you want! But thats not the way to get pregnant!

He's a gonner! The moment the pressure starts to turn on Dick knight Mcghee is gone!

Lawro's Lip said:
True, at that time, but situations change and where are we now?

We are 3 years down the road from that, having just had two years at Championship level, something that seemed inconceivable just 7 or 8 years ago. We are nearly financially exhausted by the never-ending losses at Withdean and the Falmer campaign money pit, but we are still alive and punching at our weight, which is about midtable in League 1. We are bringing through a very ambitious youth programme that is going to be the key to sustaining the club until Falmer arrives in 3+ years' time.

We should be satisfied with that progress and spare a thought for the likes of Crawley, who had 700 people at their game on Saturday and are nearly finished as a club.

British Bulldog said:
London Irish. I've accepted you're in love with Mcghee but if you really want his baby's you can stick your tongue as far up his arse as you want! But thats not the way to get pregnant!

He's a gonner! The moment the pressure starts to turn on Dick knight Mcghee is gone!

Well, we'll find out in just over a month, which it the terms of our bet :)

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
I dont care whether he sscapegoats him or not as long as MM fucks off I really dont care.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
London Irish said:
No, I give him some credit but the main has to go to McGhee, after all, he got the vast majority of the points and then successfully negotiated the play-offs against what was on paper two better teams.

Coppell's legacy was somewhat diminished because of his short-termist reliance on knackered older players (Blackwell, Rodger) and disappearing loan guys (Henderson). You could see the problems the squad had during that unsuccessful interim period when we couldn't buy a win. That was not a squad on a high brimming with confidence, it was in a slump - it had holes in the first team and needed both player and tactical renewal, which McGhee gave it.

With regards to Simon Rodger he started that season in decent form and injured his knee trying to win a tackle, hardly a knackered player until that point. Blackwell we were overly loyal to, but Rodger was one of those things that could have happened to any player.

The problems occured with that squad due to the person with tactical nouse and decent motivational skills leaving to manage Reading.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Uncle Buck said:

The problems occured with that squad due to the person with tactical nouse and decent motivational skills leaving to manage Reading.

But surely MM fits that bill as well :jester:

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
London Irish said:
Yes, I still fondly remember Steve Coppell lifting that play-off trophy in Cardiff :D

Seriously though, the factor you are missing out is the increasingly impoverished finances of this club the longer we stay at Withdean and the longer the battles for Falmer goes on. Finance is the biggest determinant of our ability to attract players. That will not change with a change of manager.

That season it went a little like this:

Coppell = 14 games - 27 points
McGhee = 30 games - 50 points (16 of which came in the final six games, to falsely throw us over the play-off line). For Me, Steve Coppell had plenty of a part to play in that season, because without the start under him, we would have been nowhere near the play-offs.

And I'm not missing the point about finances at all. The finance situation has never been any different, yet other managers have been able to attract players to this club. I disagree that a change of manager won't change the attraction of players. McGhee is obsessed with a target man, what we need is a 'goal-scorer'. A target man suggests that all he wants to do is hit long balls to a big centre-forward, now we know that's not necessarily the case, but players like Arturo Lupoli who we had the chance to take last year, we didn't because he wasn't a 'target man'. And look at the start he has made at Derby.

I'm sorry, but MM is fast running out of time for me.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Seagull73 said:
That season it went a little like this:

Coppell = 14 games - 27 points
McGhee = 30 games - 50 points .

that's only 44. Who was manager for the other 2?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here