Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Knight and Perry

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
The Large One said:
Fair enough, but in that case, a whole long list of words needs to be made which, given their context, are not acceptable to this board.

I don't understand how anyone as intelligent as you can not see how offensive the negative use of that word is?

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Richie Morris said:
I don't understand how anyone as intelligent as you can not see how offensive the negative use of that word is?
Have you never used, either on the board or in conversation the words dick, penis, ****, twat, tit, nob, loony, wanker, flid, cretin, tosspot and a whole host of others in a negative context? They're all words relating to physical or medical issues.

Yes, I do see the word 'spastic' as offensive, but why are you only rounding on that one word, and only on my usage of it?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
The Large One said:
I have no issue with any words in the English language, nor their usage - except where used wrongly.

The reaction to the use of that word in any given context is a different issue, and one which we can go round and round the houses on all day. 'Spastic' (a word which no longer appears to be used in medical terms) has come to be adopted in the English language as a generic insult, and it was in that conext that I used the word.

In this issue, I specifically used the word 'spastic' in a derogatory sense to maximise effect. I'm not sure if it's the word 'spastic' that is the issue or the insulting tone of the post in question.

You place 'coon' and '******' in the same bracket as 'spastic'. 'Coon' or '******' wouldn't be appropriate because we are not talking about a black person here, although I do understand what you are saying. The use of the word '******' when applied to a black person is specific to that person's skin colour - 'spastic' is not. So a race issue is being applied here where none exists.

In other words, I am being picky about how I choose my insults.

I think that's what you're asking anyway. I am sorry if you're offended and if it really bothers you or others, I won't use it again on here. However, it's not a word I am going to censor from my vocabulary in future.

good for you. I hope you feel very happy.

Lady Bracknell

Handbag at Dawn
Jul 5, 2003
The Metropolis
I'm unhappy with the word "spastic" in the same way as I'm intolerant of "******", "wog", and "coon". Because they are all derogatory descriptions that relate to things people have no choice about - nobody can determine their skin colour or whether they have a disability.

"Wankers" on the other hand, know full well that they should stop it NOW, lest they go blind. Although that takes us full circle I suppose.
:rolleyes:

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Dave the Gaffer said:
good for you. I hope you feel very happy.
Not really. Someone I regard as a friend is hacked off with me.

I fuilly apologise for the use of the word in the context it was intended, and the offence it has caused. As much as I can, I will take it back, and promise not to use it again.

Pigsy

Jul 14, 2004
What physical or medical condition is referred to when calling someone "tosspot"?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I despise the "S" word and think it is about the worst insult ever.

Pigsy

Jul 14, 2004
The Large One said:
A tosspot is a heavy drinker. Not necessarily a negative thing.

Live and learn. So, is alcoholism a life choice (in which case tosspot would be acceptable to NSC), or an ailment which the poor tosspots have no control over (in which case it presumably cannot be used)?

Pigsy

Jul 14, 2004
roz said:
A life choice is quite different from a condition about which you had no choice to make.

I know, that's why i'm asking which one covers alcoholism? Is it the fault of the drunkard (choice), or is it down to genetic factors etc (non choice).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here