Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

King Kenny Can't Stop The Rot

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Lucas is a Brazilian international and a class act, Babel is a £12m international striker who has shown glimpses of genius in his time at the club, David Ngog is a hugely promising young striker destined for great things, Kyrgiakos is an international and former European Championship winner in arguably the greatest ever defence in Euro history, Konchesky granted is not great but was still a cult hero at Fulham.

These are top players who are not doing themselves justice, a couple of new players around them and I think you will see how good these players are.

oh you are a wit! Lucas has 7 caps to his name in 3 years and didnt make the Worldcup squad. Ngog was a promsing player, but that promise has patently failed to materialise. Kyrgiakos may have been a decent defender in greek leagues, the evidence has not been on show here in the English. he did not feature in the Greece 2004 squad due to injury 9according to wiki). Babel is only rated as 12m by Benitez, though he is one that probably does have a bit of quality about him. these four players really typify the fuckup that is Liverpool, the likes of Wigan and Blakpool have players better than the first three. on their bench.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
My thoughts:

1. Benitez, while partly culpable, is copping too much flak. People have short memories and forget Liverpool finished 2nd at the end of the 2008/09 season, pushing Man Utd right to the end. Yes he bought some rubbish but he wasn't plumbing the depths the club's in now.

2. Woy bought terribly. He had to bring in at least 3 players who would slot straight into that side and make it better, and he simply didn't deliver. That meant the club have continued to be over-reliant on Torres and Gerrard, both of whom have a bit of World Cup fatigue.

3. The fact Kenny was turned down as manager over the summer but kept on as Director Of Football sitting over Woy's shoulder meant Woy was a dead man walking. It was never going to work under those conditions.

4. Liverpool have got more points per game at home in the league than both Arsenal and City. They have enough of a spine and kudos in the transfer market to finish 6th, and I think they will. The likes of Bolton and Sunderland have only won 2 away games out of 11 each, Everton have only won 3 out of 10 at home so Liverpool don't have to be world beaters to slot back into 6th.

Goring Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Huddersfield
"Dalglish can be thanked for stepping in at a difficult time and the NESV era begins in earnest next season. As long as the first match in August is not against Brighton and Hove Albion, the club can start afresh"

I would absolutely love it if this was to come true.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
My thoughts:

1. Benitez, while partly culpable, is copping too much flak. People have short memories and forget Liverpool finished 2nd at the end of the 2008/09 season, pushing Man Utd right to the end. Yes he bought some rubbish but he wasn't plumbing the depths the club's in now.

2. Woy bought terribly. He had to bring in at least 3 players who would slot straight into that side and make it better, and he simply didn't deliver. That meant the club have continued to be over-reliant on Torres and Gerrard, both of whom have a bit of World Cup fatigue.

3. The fact Kenny was turned down as manager over the summer but kept on as Director Of Football sitting over Woy's shoulder meant Woy was a dead man walking. It was never going to work under those conditions.

4. Liverpool have got more points per game at home in the league than both Arsenal and City. They have enough of a spine and kudos in the transfer market to finish 6th, and I think they will. The likes of Bolton and Sunderland have only won 2 away games out of 11 each, Everton have only won 3 out of 10 at home so Liverpool don't have to be world beaters to slot back into 6th.
Some good points there. Your first point is interesting because I agree with every word of it, except the first sentence. I don't think Benitez is copping ANY flak among their support. They consider him some sort of God. So while Woy bought badly (clearly Konchesky is NOT top 6 class, never mind top 4), he was left with an aging, demotivated squad that peaked in 2008/9 but has gone RAPIDLY downhill ever since.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Some good points there. Your first point is interesting because I agree with every word of it, except the first sentence. I don't think Benitez is copping ANY flak among their support. They consider him some sort of God. So while Woy bought badly (clearly Konchesky is NOT top 6 class, never mind top 4), he was left with an aging, demotivated squad that peaked in 2008/9 but has gone RAPIDLY downhill ever since.

Yes. Pav made some cogent points but I agree that Benitez is getting off scot-free. I'd also add that I don't think that Woy had to buy three players who had to slot straight into the side - what about taking a look at what was needed. It's apparent for example that Carragher is on his last legs but that wouldn't have been clear in the summer. There was no attempt to take the long term view and Woy was pushed into making purchases, almost feeling that he HAD to buy someone, rather like my missus does when the sales are on.

I also wonder about Gerrard and Torres suffering World Cup fatigue: one barely got of the group stage and one roamed around in a bored and uninterested manner all tournament - how on earth did they get fatigued?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I don't think that Woy had to buy three players who had to slot straight into the side - what about taking a look at what was needed.

Also, what about long term planning, what about getting rid of the dead wood and starting from scratch. If Roy was there to rebuild, finding players to slot in should not really be the priority, should it? Or am I ignoring the short term too much in favour of the long term?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
King Kenny isn't go to look long term either. The legacy of his last tenure was an aging shit squad, much like the one Benitez left.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Also, what about long term planning, what about getting rid of the dead wood and starting from scratch. If Roy was there to rebuild, finding players to slot in should not really be the priority, should it? Or am I ignoring the short term too much in favour of the long term?

King Kenny isn't go to look long term either. The legacy of his last tenure was an aging shit squad, much like the one Benitez left.

I made both these points earlier in the thread. In particular, the fact that many of Liverpool's current problems all started with Dalglish not rebuilding in the early 90s but he could now be left to carry the can - and thus the whirligig of time brings in his revenges

Fawkesy

Apr 11, 2009
My thoughts:

spot on mate!

Aldo

Ruffian Revolution. STH.
Jul 15, 2008
Hove
At the end of the day Dalglish has won more trophies as a manager then Hodgson has away games in England. He has had 1 day on the training pitch, and yes the squad is shite but it finished 7th last year and played far more convincing football then under the media darling, but highly average Hodgson, who got 6 months more then he should have.

Lucas Leiva is class.

This.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here