Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Kieran McKenna

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
They will almost certainly struggle as just over a year ago they were a league one club. They can't just spend to stay in the division due to P&SR. There is every likelihood if he stays at Ipswich, he'll have a relegation on his cv. I know it didn't seem to hurt Kompany but he also has some titles on his with Anderlecht!! I think we are by far a better option however it does seem that he is going to stay.
If he's as good as we think he is then I think he can keep them up. Yes the owners can't throw much more than £30m extra into the club, but they will also have the £140m of so premier league riches to spend, and their baseline wages costs must be tiny having come almost straight from League 1. So there is probably a fair amount of spending they can do.

Yes we are a better option, but we're not as good an option as United or Chelsea, and like I say, he won't everyone thinking he's a judas by jumping before Ipswich kick a ball in the premier league.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
Chelsea and United have screwed us over here. McKenna was probably keen to come, but then those clubs get interested and suddenly we don't look as attractive anymore. Then they stop looking and McKenna is left with the not-as-good-as-it-could-have-been option of Brighton or staying at Ipswich. Might as well stay put.

Its also probably better for him, everything is built for him at Ipswich, a bit of investment in the squad (and the owners sound rich) and if he is as good as everyone says he is he could do pretty well next year, maybe the same as what he could do here considering that he'd be starting from scratch at Brighton. And he wouldn't have the whole of football thinking he's a judas.
We can't just blame United and Chelsea though, we put all our eggs in one basket and then completely screwed it up. With all respect its an incredibly poor run of events.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
We can't just blame United and Chelsea though, we put all our eggs in one basket and then completely screwed it up. With all respect its an incredibly poor run of events.
Did we?

May I see that basket? I want to inspect if for weaver workmanship ???

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Hiheidi

Dec 27, 2022
If, that's what has happened. We don't actually know do we?

Ipswich are making him one of the highest paid managers in the PL - is it £5m a year? There's no way we would do that (especially for someone inexperienced and unproven at PL level). It would be a madness and could result in a massive pay out if it all went wrong, plus all future managers would expect similar.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
If, that's what has happened. We don't actually know do we?
Let me rephrase it, we heavily put our eggs in one basket, that was a strong and sturdy basket, now the only baskets available are poor and weak, or one that let us down time and time again. This is a poor poor poor series of events no matter how you put it.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
we didnt put all our eggs in one basket though... you have a list and work your way through just like signing players.

You cant offer 4 different guys the job and see who gets back to you first.

have we even spoke to Mckenna or is it all paper talk and rumour ?

Only 3 people know at the Albion

Muzzman

Pocket Rocket
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
Here and There
we didnt put all our eggs in one basket though... you have a list and work your way through just like signing players.

You cant offer 4 different guys the job and see who gets back to you first.

have we even spoke to Mckenna or is it all paper talk and rumour ?

Only 3 people know at the Albion
It's all paper talk and rumour. Unfortunately, a fair few on here have believed every single word of it, including betting patterns, which is just ridiculous IMO.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012

We don't know for certain that the club had one manager and one manager only in its basket and that was McKenna although its obvious we, like others, were interested.

Perhaps like Chelsea , we were impressed, but when spoke to him, we passed as other option(s) were stronger or , unlike when we interviewed RDZ - we weren't convinced.

Or perhaps he (or his people) have for a long time and this weekend committed to the club if we came knocking , but then changed his mind or perhaps his financial demands were unpalatable (given Ipswich's contract offer) . If some of NSC's finest can foresee that that was a possibility then assume Albion could.

Or its a cock up , we've been done over by Ipswich and now don't know what to do other than give the Ex a ring and see if he's up for it one more time.

Let me rephrase it, we heavily put our eggs in one basket, that was a strong and sturdy basket, now the only baskets available are poor and weak, or one that let us down time and time again. This is a poor poor poor series of events no matter how you put it.

Eggs and Baskets ? Succession ? Say what you mean man ! ha ha.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Hope he does stay. Wasn’t comfortable with us being one of the vultures anyway.
We've been vultures for years, signing wonderkid youngsters from clubs all over the world.

One could even argue that when we signed Potter from Swansea that's a bit "big club comes knocking".

It's the nature of the beast :shrug:

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
I think you're mistaking paper talk, agent talk, and fan talk for club talk. I for one have no idea what baskets in which we've placed our eggs. I'm not getting into any judgement on the process until it's concluded

chickens

Have you considered masterly inactivity?
NSC Patron
Oct 12, 2022

I can’t agree here. We will have a list of names, some of whom will be happy where they are, some of whom may be interested enough to speak to us but decide to stay put, and some who are ready and willing to make a move or are out of work, and after initial discussions still meet our criteria.

We can only recruit from those in the last category, that doesn’t mean we shouldn’t have spoken to the others.

Have a little patience, let the club work.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
I can’t agree here. We will have a list of names, some of whom will be happy where they are, some of whom may be interested enough to speak to us but decide to stay put, and some who are ready and willing to make a move or are out of work, and after initial discussions still meet our criteria.

We can only recruit from those in the last category, that doesn’t mean we shouldn’t have spoken to the others.

Have a little patience, let the club work.
We'll see what is paper talk and what isn't. I hope what you are saying is right, but I can't see it, with the options out there, unless we push the boat out and got for a real big name.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
We don't know for certain that the club had one manager and one manager only in its basket and that was McKenna although its obvious we, like others, were interested.

Perhaps like Chelsea , we were impressed, but when spoke to him, we passed as other option(s) were stronger or , unlike when we interviewed RDZ - we weren't convinced.

Or perhaps he (or his people) have for a long time and this weekend committed to the club if we came knocking , but then changed his mind or perhaps his financial demands were unpalatable (given Ipswich's contract offer) . If some of NSC's finest can foresee that that was a possibility then assume Albion could.

Or its a cock up , we've been done over by Ipswich and now don't know what to do other than give the Ex a ring and see if he's up for it one more time.

Eggs and Baskets ? Succession ? Say what you mean man ! ha ha.
It was 10 days between Potter and De Zerbi, it has now been 10 days, it was 7 days between Hughton and Potter. I think the manager market is crap at the moment. I think we should go back to Roberto and see what he wants.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here