Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Kieran McKenna

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
It may look like that but it wasn’t the case IMO. Trossard liked to receive the ball and cut in, we never really made the pitch big in that respect. That was an area that RdZ really improved.
I agree we played more narrow with Potter. Without a doubt. Players were positionally and tactically free to do more whatever they want, and when a ball-loving player gets frustrated, they wander inside. For good and bad. Trossard in particular is a lot better with the ball than without it - and maybe he would have been better sooner if Potter gave him more strict instructions.

With Roberto De Zerbi, width was key. I honestly don't think he's spent many nights pondering what to do if the wingers are shit. They need to be dangerous. We had ONE attacking game plan: do a rondo between CB and DMCs and when the opponents full back come in to support the pressure, play it behind them; the wingers are then free to do as they please. This is what we based our entire attacking play on.

Potter wants players close to each other, collaborating, switching roles and finding solutions. Roberto De Zerbi wants the super narrow-super wide team that look like they mess around in the middle but then quickly punch you in the face through abusing the spaces you forgot about. Different philosophies and no one objectively better than the other.

To the players... different things work. It didn't take 180 minutes before we saw Trossard mouthing off with De Zerbi, seemingly about petty micromanagement. Some of our players thrive with being told exactly what to do and others like Tross felt it was limiting.
Potter, in general, throughout his years in Östersund and Swansea, wanted pacy wingers with imagination. I do believe that if had access to more of that, no one would claim "Potter doesn't like wingers", regardles of other criticism they might have. The fact that we played more narrow with Potter than with De Zerbi is probably down to the choice of playing someone like Jahanbaksh instead of Gross or Lallana. We did not have a particularly impressive set of wingers for most of the Potter era.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
No players or managers want to come to us, we are really on a downward spiral atm and palace are the opposite,how things change.They have people that want to stay at their club and I reckon they will keep a few of their top players just to add salt in the wound.
the naked gun facepalm GIF

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I agree we played more narrow with Potter. Without a doubt. Players were positionally and tactically free to do more whatever they want, and when a ball-loving player gets frustrated, they wander inside. For good and bad. Trossard in particular is a lot better with the ball than without it - and maybe he would have been better sooner if Potter gave him more strict instructions.

With Roberto De Zerbi, width was key. I honestly don't think he's spent many nights pondering what to do if the wingers are shit. They need to be dangerous. We had ONE attacking game plan: do a rondo between CB and DMCs and when the opponents full back come in to support the pressure, play it behind them; the wingers are then free to do as they please. This is what we based our entire attacking play on.

Potter wants players close to each other, collaborating, switching roles and finding solutions. Roberto De Zerbi wants the super narrow-super wide team that look like they mess around in the middle but then quickly punch you in the face through abusing the spaces you forgot about. Different philosophies and no one objectively better than the other.

To the players... different things work. It didn't take 180 minutes before we saw Trossard mouthing off with De Zerbi, seemingly about petty micromanagement. Some of our players thrive with being told exactly what to do and others like Tross felt it was limiting.
Potter, in general, throughout his years in Östersund and Swansea, wanted pacy wingers with imagination. I do believe that if had access to more of that, no one would claim "Potter doesn't like wingers", regardles of other criticism they might have. The fact that we played more narrow with Potter than with De Zerbi is probably down to the choice of playing someone like Jahanbaksh instead of Gross or Lallana. We did not have a particularly impressive set of wingers for most of the Potter era.
Yet Potter didn’t play Mitoma, even though he’d torn Trippier apart, although that was in the latter part and pushed Solly towards a wingback position, rather than more offensive. It’s not like he didn’t see him in training, he just didn’t fit the Potter style.

RdZ offensively, is comfortably better than Potter for me, defensively however completely the opposite.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
No players or managers want to come to us, we are really on a downward spiral atm and palace are the opposite,how things change.They have people that want to stay at their club and I reckon they will keep a few of their top players just to add salt in the wound.
But you are palace anyway.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Yet Potter didn’t play Mitoma, even though he’d torn Trippier apart, although that was in the latter part and pushed Solly towards a wingback position, rather than more offensive. It’s not like he didn’t see him in training, he just didn’t fit the Potter style.

RdZ offensively, is comfortably better than Potter for me, defensively however completely the opposite.
I do agree with you in general but…..

The problem RDZ had offensively was that he was a bit of a one trick pony. Once the EPL had worked him out, plan B was very difficult to execute.

Potter would sometimes pull such weird and unpredictable formations, old school managers like Bruce could only scratch their heads and wonder what on earth the tactics were:

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I do agree with you in general but…..

The problem RDZ had offensively was that he was a bit of a one trick pony. Once the EPL had worked him out, plan B was very difficult to execute.

Potter would sometimes pull such weird and unpredictable formations, old school managers like Bruce could only scratch their heads and wonder what on earth the tactics were:

Yes, I agree, but that doesn’t detract from the fact his teams play quite narrow.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I’m still holding out for a European young manger with a similar profile to Fabian Hurzeler or Farioli - Young, up and coming, who fits in with ethos and our football now, not how it was several seasons ago and who has been inspired by De Zerbi/Pep/Arteta approach to football.

The problem with young, up and coming is that a) it could take them a while to get things working and b) as soon as they do get things working (which might be just the second half of the second season), they'll get poached by a rich club. So we get two seasons of mid-table finishes, and then lose our manager.

It's worked for Villa with an experienced manager who has already had a good chance at big clubs, so they got someone who was good from the start, but wasn't immediately poached as they'd had their chance before.

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
Feels like Mckenna's no

We were very strong down the left. Mitoma was on the bench and starting to come on, as you say. But at that time we still had Trossard who was first choice and as you know started under De Zerbi bagging a hat trick at Anfield.

With all due respect NorthstandRacoon we finished 11th this season, that is a big step back under RDZ stewardship. Yes we had injuries and more games to play but it was what is was...enjoyable whilst it lasted! So for now we are unchartered waters...OR ARE WE??? Potter left us and most of us ( me included)threw our toys out the pram because we didn't know what to expect. Why should it be any different this time...I do believe in Bloom and Barber but occasionally they won't always get it right...or things won't go how they planned. We support the club through thick and thin but this is just a hiccup, there is no reason for us to start doubting those at the top. IF THEY THINK POTTER IS RIGHT FOR US AND POTTER HAS THE GONADS TO WALK BACK THROUGH THE DOOR THEN THAT WILL DO FOR ME. IF PEOPLE WANT TO VOTE WITH THEIR FEET THEN THEY DONT GET OUR CLUB.

Imagine accepting someone back who completely screwed us over and acted like a complete cock when they left.

Some people are so thickle.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here