Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Kerry Mayo Testamonial Officially Against.....

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
Rougvie said:
Oh Yorkie, you know as well as I did McGhee didnt give him the contract Dick Knight did out of loyalty.

One of the reasons McGhee fell out with us was because he didnt have the controlling stake in contract negotiation.

I think you are starstruck at being at the dinner tonight, just remember that a football club is not all one sided, there are two sides too all arguements and not always do they fall on the side of the bobble hat legions that feel the club can do no wrong.

Utter Rubbish. Mayo turned down a contarct at another club to stay at the Albion - FACT.

DK only offers players contracts after discusions with the manager - FACT

You do talk complete sh*te at times

The bobble hat brigade know a fu*k more about football than a lot of the idiots of NSC! I neither a bobble hat pr NSC regular, I just go to the games home and away and support our players whatever I think of them

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
All I'd say is... well done Kerry on getting your testimonial, and am very much looking forward to seeing you play for the Albion throughout next season.

I genuinely hope he is here long enough to challenge Tug Wilson or even Norman Gall's appearance records. A fine servant.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
I'll definitely be going, and I hope Kerry gets a good crowd and a good game.

For all his years of loyal service, it's safe to say he deserves it.

Taxi

Jul 10, 2003
Littlehampton
Superphil said:
I still find it amazing the amount of criticism Kerry gets on here. I don't believe we have a left back who would have been any better than Kerry on Saturday. He was solid, won a lot of tackles, moved up the pitch when required, and contributed to the second half attacking performance.

Let's not kid ourselves, we are a 3rd division team at the moment, and he is competant part of it. If we are to get promoted, we may need more strength across the team, but we have struggled for ages to find a left back to cement a permanent place in the side. Kerry and one or two others have played in that position for a while now, and as I said, I don't think any of them would have done a better job than him on Saturday.

There are plenty of players in our team who have shown spells of poor performance, this season and past seasons, I guess that is the way it goes at this level, consistency is tough to find. We are not blessed with huge playing budgets, and we have to accept the standard of players we can afford. I'm not saying Kerry is the greatest left back in the league, but he is as good as many, and at least as good as anyone we have in the side at the moment.

Until a left back can be found, who is good enough to prove to the Manager that he is better than the options we have, then Kerry and the others will have to feature in the squad. Beggers can't be choosers, give him a new contract, get behind his testimonial match, and stop whingeing on about a player who has as much love for this club as we do.

And he really isn't as bad as some make out.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Ozymandias

Jan 31, 2007
The Complete Badger said:
I went on to say I was only young when he first came into the team, so although I don't recall any of the fans opinions on him, I can remember him playing. Incidentally, I remember him being rubbish in the late 90's. It wasn't until Adams turned him into a left-back (boxing day 1999 I think) that he really looked the part. Thanks for the personal assumptions about me - who are you exactly?? I'm not "sorry" no, I merely agreed this probably isn't the best place for this debate. Kerry had some good years (as did so many players who contributed to our success), but he's not everyones cup of tea now. Get over it.

Firstly MA didn't turn him into a left back, Steve Gritt did. MA tried to get rid of him by signing the LB from Cambridge (can't remember his name but scored a blinder against us at the pissfield), he displaced KM but then got injured and KM kept him out for rest of the season, then the guy left. Next in was Nathan Jones, similar story with NJ then playing more in midfield. By Nathjan Jones 's own admission KM was a better defender. My brother once had a chat with MA and the subject got around to KM. MA basically said that every season he thought KM was finished and he'd need a new LB and very season KM would come back. MA joked that the only way KM would leave the Albion was in a box!!
... finally MA thought that certain sections of the crowd were totally out of order for the grief that they gave ( and still give) KM.

Loft23

Dec 11, 2004
Burgess Hill
Superphil said:
I still find it amazing the amount of criticism Kerry gets on here. I don't believe we have a left back who would have been any better than Kerry on Saturday. He was solid, won a lot of tackles, moved up the pitch when required, and contributed to the second half attacking performance.

Let's not kid ourselves, we are a 3rd division team at the moment, and he is competant part of it. If we are to get promoted, we may need more strength across the team, but we have struggled for ages to find a left back to cement a permanent place in the side. Kerry and one or two others have played in that position for a while now, and as I said, I don't think any of them would have done a better job than him on Saturday.

There are plenty of players in our team who have shown spells of poor performance, this season and past seasons, I guess that is the way it goes at this level, consistency is tough to find. We are not blessed with huge playing budgets, and we have to accept the standard of players we can afford. I'm not saying Kerry is the greatest left back in the league, but he is as good as many, and at least as good as anyone we have in the side at the moment.

Until a left back can be found, who is good enough to prove to the Manager that he is better than the options we have, then Kerry and the others will have to feature in the squad. Beggers can't be choosers, give him a new contract, get behind his testimonial match, and stop whingeing on about a player who has as much love for this club as we do.

And he really isn't as bad as some make out.

I agree. Mayo is still a decent left back and although he isn't outstanding at what he does, he does the job required and deserves a new deal. He's played 30+ games this season proving that Wilkins values him as we have Sam Rents and Bakayogo who can play there as well.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Kerry is an Albion legend. Much more so than some of the names called that on here.

I would only note that it is another humiliation for our club that Reading are seen as a big club. I mean they are a bigger club than us as the moment - but we don't need reminding.

And a big thanks to Steve Coppell.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Reading, decent Prem club. Coppell was a manager that Mayo likes and has respect for, a manager who treated him well. Not sure what the bruhaha is, all seems fine to me.

Kenhead

Oct 1, 2003
Brighton
I'm glad that its sorted out, but i would have gone whoever the other team was as kerry has been a great servant to the club even if he hasn't been the most talented player in the last 10 at the albion.

Reading could be playing european football next season so not a bad coup really

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Buzzer said:
So......

What legends would you want to see in a Brighton shirt again?

Zamora, Cullip, Virgo, Brooker, Carpenter in the blue and white stripes again would be tasty.

How about Storer or Nelson, Freeman or Wilkins?

All of the above!!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Kinky Gerbils said:
Reading? Hmmm why them? Coppell I guess.

Well it couldn't be a MA or MM team could it :lolol:

Would people have preferred a PT team? I'm thinking they just might....

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Can't believe all the people slagging off Kerry on here.

SHUT UP!

This is great news (obviously the right people read my thread last week asking when we were going to have news on the testimonial!).

Kerry thoroughly deserves it and also deserves the support of every true Albion supporter all of whom should be there on the night to show him real appreciation for the great job he has done for the club over ten years.

I will be there and hopefully my sons too.

Wilka

Nov 18, 2003
Burgess Hill
Could have been a bigger team but i'm glad Kerry has finally got this sorted.

Lets hope he is getting a contract next season. Would be a bit harsh if he didn't!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Kinky Gerbils said:
Isnt the idea to have players that played with Kerry?

Trying to fill Withdean would be a better idea, the attraction of most of the players Kerry played with in his early days wouldn't fill the iddy biddy stand at Withdean.

OGH, Minton, Reinelt help me here I'm struggling.....

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here