Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Kerry Mayo Testamonial Officially Against.....

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
The Complete Badger said:
Good idea. Let's BAN discussion on these message boards. I would prefer a love-in:clap:

Seriously though, noones decrying him his day in the spotlight, but I don't buy the argument that because he has been here 10 years we should repay this with blind faith in him (and a constant stream of new contracts). IMO Hart will go this summer after 9 years, and he can feel a lot more hard done by, and deserve more sympathy, than Mayo.

You really are something aren't you? I have pointed out and so have many other people that Mayo is routinely criticised weekly. All a few of us are asking is that perhaps you could be gracious enough to say, well done Kerry. Thanks for the loyalty and enjoy your day in the sun.

You ARE decrying his day in the sun. You daid that he and the testimonial are past their sell by date. Hardly warm congratulations is it. Testimonials are where a club and its fans says thanks to a player. It's not blind faith.

Rougvie

Rising Damp
Aug 29, 2003
Hove, f***ing ACTUALLY.
Buzzer said:
...and those that seem to know better wouldn't know one end of football management from the other. Completely agree, BB.

Its Dick Knight who hands out contracts, not the managers, and I think KM has deseved one up until now, its a bit like all the other great servants we have had done the years, it actually breaks your heart to even think that their shelf life has come to an end.

Anyway, lets focus on HUMPING those plastic fuckers when they come down here, and someone will probably post that picture of that Reading fan running the 100 meters.............

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Ok, I'll grant you there are better places for this discussion, but if this is where the discussion is being had I'll give my opinion. Sorry if it's not a positive one. To answer your points:

1) Reading is shit, bearing in mind the delay, and the fact Mayo turned down Charlton (who surely are no less of a draw?)
2) Kerry isn't shit, he's just not what we need in order to progress, and hasn't been for a year or two.
3) I still think the gate could be alright IF the club sort out some interesting ex-players to come back.
4) It wasn't me who said that, and I admitted I don't remember his early days in amazing detail. Point void there I feel.

Once again you're talking out your arse. Point 4 is a case in point.

Rougvie wrote: ...If you remember those seasons you will recall that we felt Kerry was an inmense talent, so he recieved plaudits higher than his performances. it was also (as recently) a barren spell for talent.

You replied.....Spot-on. I'm happy with that.

Point far from void, methinks. And I don't think for one moment you're sorry that so much negativity is being posted in a thread which ought to be a positive one for Kerry.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I went on to say I was only young when he first came into the team, so although I don't recall any of the fans opinions on him, I can remember him playing. Incidentally, I remember him being rubbish in the late 90's. It wasn't until Adams turned him into a left-back (boxing day 1999 I think) that he really looked the part. Thanks for the personal assumptions about me - who are you exactly?? I'm not "sorry" no, I merely agreed this probably isn't the best place for this debate. Kerry had some good years (as did so many players who contributed to our success), but he's not everyones cup of tea now. Get over it.

My assumption is based on the number of times you've slagged Kerry off in this thread. You did write earlier that you were sorry it's not positive but I couldn't see any contrition. That's what my assumption was based on. I'm not going to get into personal attacks and if that seemed like a personal attack, then I'm sorry.

And I'm very sorry that a thread where Kerry Mayo gets to play premiership opposition in his much-awaited testimonial has descended into the usual Mayo-bashing.

Mayo-bashing sounds a bit like a sexual innuendo so I think I'm gonna turn in.

No hard feelings Badger. We've just both got strong opinions on the matter.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Rougvie said:
Sorry, just dont agree, for FOUR season he has been a 'fringe' player.

McGhee wanted rid, but only non league sides came in for him, I have the greatest respect for you as a fellow supporter, but time and time again over the last few years CONSISTENTLY (thats not rating him on the odd performance) he is not up to FL standard.

If McGhee wanted rid then he wouldn't have been given another contract. End of story.
You don't give a player a contract just because no other club wants them.
In fact Kerry did turn down another club because he wanted to stay at Brighton.

Rougvie

Rising Damp
Aug 29, 2003
Hove, f***ing ACTUALLY.
Oh Yorkie, you know as well as I did McGhee didnt give him the contract Dick Knight did out of loyalty.

One of the reasons McGhee fell out with us was because he didnt have the controlling stake in contract negotiation.

I think you are starstruck at being at the dinner tonight, just remember that a football club is not all one sided, there are two sides too all arguements and not always do they fall on the side of the bobble hat legions that feel the club can do no wrong.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Rougvie said:
Oh Yorkie, you know as well as I did McGhee didnt give him the contract Dick Knight did out of loyalty.

One of the reasons McGhee fell out with us was because he didnt have the controlling stake in contract negotiation.

I think you are starstruck at being at the dinner tonight, just remember that a football club is not all one sided, there are two sides too all arguements and not always do they fall on the side of the bobble hat legions that feel the club can do no wrong.

Oh the ultimate insult. A bobble hat. Yes there are two sides to the argument and we're not all cynical and miserable like you. Some of us actually enjoy being fans.

McGhee is gone and yet Wilkins is playing Kerry on a regular basis.

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
FFs the guy has been with the club over 10yrs and deserves his day If you work at a company for that length of time you get similar treatment ..Its a reward for his loyalty ..Please lets give the guy some respect that he deserves. Weather you think he is a good player or not ,the fact is he is being rewarded for loyalty to the club !!

Tiptop24

Jan 23, 2007
Chicago, USA
Hopefully it will be better than the last testimonial the club had..........Steve Foster, vs Sheffield Wednesday. lost 7-2!!!
Only 3,500 turned up if i remember!

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Only on NSC a huge disagreement about a player who was around when the vultures were circulating to end it all yet came out of it all with credit.

:nono: :nono: :nono:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Delighted it's sorted and I'll be pleased to see an up and coming Premiership side managed by the best manager we've had since I started watching the Albion. It may ONLY be Reading but I have no doubt it will be a full strength side and shame on those who can't be arsed to go because it's not Real Madrid.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I still find it amazing the amount of criticism Kerry gets on here. I don't believe we have a left back who would have been any better than Kerry on Saturday. He was solid, won a lot of tackles, moved up the pitch when required, and contributed to the second half attacking performance.

Let's not kid ourselves, we are a 3rd division team at the moment, and he is competant part of it. If we are to get promoted, we may need more strength across the team, but we have struggled for ages to find a left back to cement a permanent place in the side. Kerry and one or two others have played in that position for a while now, and as I said, I don't think any of them would have done a better job than him on Saturday.

There are plenty of players in our team who have shown spells of poor performance, this season and past seasons, I guess that is the way it goes at this level, consistency is tough to find. We are not blessed with huge playing budgets, and we have to accept the standard of players we can afford. I'm not saying Kerry is the greatest left back in the league, but he is as good as many, and at least as good as anyone we have in the side at the moment.

Until a left back can be found, who is good enough to prove to the Manager that he is better than the options we have, then Kerry and the others will have to feature in the squad. Beggers can't be choosers, give him a new contract, get behind his testimonial match, and stop whingeing on about a player who has as much love for this club as we do.

And he really isn't as bad as some make out.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
OK so Reading are not a massive club, but let's face it that was never going to happen. I'm more than happy with it being agianst them though. They are a top 10 prem team and it will be a chance to see Ingimarsson and Sidwell again aswell as the palace scummer.
I will be there for certain and Kerry fully deserves this honour. He's 100% Brighton and has been one of my favorite players over the years. I'm sure there will be some big names and ex players and no doubt a few suprises to draw a decent sized crowd.

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
So how come if he is so bad that he has played under x number of different managers (including Horton, Coppell, Taylor, McGhee, Adams, Wilkins) and they all pick him regularly. But as we know some people on NSC know much much much more than any manager.

Kerry is Brighton through and through and deserves a testimonial and deserves a good turn out.

Two Kerry Mayos, theres only two Kerry Mayos

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here