Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Kensington St Graffiti project - especially for Les Biehn as I know he loves it

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
ChapmansThe Saviour said:
You will defend people's right to enjoy but you don't think it should be there becauase you don't like it and think something else should be there instead. Basically.

That's not a contradiction. That is merely stating that whatever my views are people have a right to express themselves and those who enjoy seeing it have a right to see it.

Not a contradiction at all. It is like saying I don't like the conservative party but would defend someones' right to vote for them and their right to exist as a political party. Do you see what I mean?

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Nibble said:
That's not a contradiction. That is merely stating that whatever my views are people have a right to express themselves and those who enjoy seeing it have a right to see it.

Not a contradiction at all. It is like saying I don't like the conservative party but would defend someones' right to vote for them and their right to exist as a political party. Do you see what I mean?

YES! Well, kinda.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Nibble said:
The skate park line was not deadly serious.

I think there should be public art, just not in the hands of graffers. I think there have been some superb public displays outside the library in the past year or so.

oh. :dunce:

I reckon every kind of art should be given a public viewing. Admittedly the piece of graffiti in chappers' original thread isn't the greatest but there are and have been some excellent pieces.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Garry Nelson's Left Foot said:
oh. :dunce:

I reckon every kind of art should be given a public viewing. Admittedly the piece of graffiti in chappers' original thread isn't the greatest but there are and have been some excellent pieces.

the problem with any kind of art is that it is a matter of opinion, worse than that it is a matter of taste.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Nibble said:

Utter bullshit. You love the tories.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Les Biehn said:
Utter bullshit. You love the tories.

Well since I got chucked out of The BNP they are the nearest thing to the Nazi party I could find. Oh, Enoch, where did you go-your country needs you more than you would ever know, Oh, OHOHOH.

tedebear

Legal Alien
NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Blimey - not my cup of tea at all!! I can appreciate the work involved but that'd piss me right off if I lived near it! To each his own though....

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Nibble said:
Well since I got chucked out of The BNP they are the nearest thing to the Nazi party I could find. Oh, Enoch, where did you go-your country needs you more than you would ever know, Oh, OHOHOH.

UKIP will have ya :thumbsup:

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
If you lived opposite that eyesore would you get arrested for sneaking over at night time and grafitiing it white?

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Nobody lives across from it.

It's pretty much hidden unless you are looking directly at it.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
ChapmansThe Saviour said:
Nobody lives across from it.

It's pretty much hidden unless you are looking directly at it.

Good

D'Angelo Saxon

SW19ULLS
Jul 30, 2004
SW19
Lazy argument? (Sorry I've been at work.)

I was just pointing out that your tone seemed to suggest that you were bringing this up mainly because you'd been turned down for grants, and some others had been given one for an artwork you don't approve of.

There are plenty of grants for films about anyway. I know a few people who've earned them. Including one which was funded and shown both over here and in a New York film festival.

Maybe your film just wasn't very good?

Just a thought.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
D'Angelo Saxon said:
Lazy argument? (Sorry I've been at work.)

I was just pointing out that your tone seemed to suggest that you were bringing this up mainly because you'd been turned down for grants, and some others had been given one for an artwork you don't approve of.

There are plenty of grants for films about anyway. I know a few people who've earned them. Including one which was funded and shown both over here and in a New York film festival.

Maybe your film just wasn't very good?

Just a thought.

I started a whole lengthy post with an argument against what you said. Then I thought f*** it, I can't be arse to argue with someone who is clearly just setting out to make sarcy, bitchy remarks for no other reason than I actually tried to come up with a decent argument against something he likes.

Oh and by the way unless you are making a documentary or some avant garde piece its f***ing impossible to get funding pretty much anywhere in the south.

At least Chappers will try to engage with what you say if you disagree with him. You have fun being a petty little twat:wave:

D'Angelo Saxon

SW19ULLS
Jul 30, 2004
SW19
Les Biehn said:
I started a whole lengthy post with an argument against what you said. Then I thought f*** it, I can't be arse to argue with someone who is clearly just setting out to make sarcy, bitchy remarks for no other reason than I actually tried to come up with a decent argument against something he likes.

Oh and by the way unless you are making a documentary or some avant garde piece its f***ing impossible to get funding pretty much anywhere in the south.

At least Chappers will try to engage with what you say if you disagree with him. You have fun being a petty little twat:wave:

I'm not setting out to make bitchy remarks in the slightest. Its just the way you come across as having a chip on the shoulder that gets my goat. I don't think you really came up with a decent argument against "something I like". I'm happy to listen to anything you say though, and I'm in no way trying to be petty.

Its not impossible to get funding for films down here.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
D'Angelo Saxon said:
I'm not setting out to make bitchy remarks in the slightest. Its just the way you come across as having a chip on the shoulder that gets my goat. I don't think you really came up with a decent argument against "something I like". I'm happy to listen to anything you say though, and I'm in no way trying to be petty.

Its not impossible to get funding for films down here.

Its not impossible but nigh on. I have 3 other friends who are film makers, all working in different genres and none of us have been able to secure any sort of funding. I have researched funding for the area and nationwide, their is minimal availability in the south.

I don't understand why I came across as having a chip on my shoulder, my legitimate beef (if thats what you want to call it) was with the fact that the authorities don't supply funding for creative works that aren't as visual. I used the film funding to back up my argument and the only reason I included it was to supply first hand knowledge so as to show I wasn't just going out to slag off graffiti. At no point did I ever say I had a problem with the Graffiti artists recieving funding. Seems that has backfired on me all because of the way you have chosen to take what I said.

Well if we are playing that game you strike me as some sort of wannabee Graffer who doesn't like anyone saying that they don't like that style of art work. I also find it funny that you say I haven't come up with a decent argument, I'm not saying I have come up with a great argument but I do feel I have articulated my reasons pretty well. However all you have done is made assumption about what I think and just questioned what has been said without offering up alternative ideas of your own as to why the Graf art is so valid.

Jul 5, 2003
Chertsey
Les Biehn said:
However all you have done is made assumption about what I think and just questioned what has been said without offering up alternative ideas of your own as to why the Graf art is so valid.

cue Koaste's dissertation....

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
ben andrews' girlfriend said:
cue Koaste's dissertation....

Actually I'm glad you quoted me there BAG. What I should say is 'Why this particular piece of Graf art is so valid'.

And don't make assumptions about the films I make, they may be shit, they may be great but until you have seen one I suggest you don't pass any sort of haphazard judgement on them.

Last edited:

D'Angelo Saxon

SW19ULLS
Jul 30, 2004
SW19
I'm sorry if you thought I was being offensive, and yes graf does hold a place close to my heart. I don't do it at all though. I'm nearly 30 now, and wrote my dissertation about 8 years ago now for which I got a 2:1, so I must have made some kind of balanced argument. A lot of the artists on that wall are older than me, and probably would have made my points better than I did.

I'm not one to judge peoples work before I've seen it, so maybe your films are great and have been unfairly overlooked for funding, but maybe they haven't.

Anyway, my apologies once again.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here