Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Kensington St Graffiti project - especially for Les Biehn as I know he loves it

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Nibble said:

I'm afraid it is another case of Brighton pretending to be down with the kids and trying to be the coolest place in England.

Are you taking the piss?

'pretending to be down with the kids'? What does that mean?

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
ChapmansThe Saviour said:
Are you taking the piss?

'pretending to be down with the kids'? What does that mean?

I think what he is saying is that Brighton is trying to be hip to the groove but it actually isn't that cool for all the cats.

I do slightly disagree with nibble but at the same time I do feel Brighton walks a thin line between alternative and pretentious. Some genuinely interesting people and things going on but then there also is in Manchester, Sheffield etc...Just that there aren't as many trust fund kids walking around with dreadlocks in those other cities.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
The artists that painted that are from a shop that has been around in this town for YEARS now (i think nearly a decade) and I think that piece is a decent reflection on their contribution to the culture in this town.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
The artists that painted that are from a shop that has been around in this town for YEARS now (i think nearly a decade) and I think that piece is a decent reflection on their contribution to the culture in this town.

Great. Not sure what it has to do with what nibble or I just said but great for them nevertheless.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Nibble said it's a case of Brighton pretending to be cool and dowen with the kids. I'm saying it's just a reflection of what exists and has done for a long time. The hip hop scene in this town has been going strong since the last 80's and it's now being recognised for what it is, that's all.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Les Biehn said:
I think what he is saying is that Brighton is trying to be hip to the groove but it actually isn't that cool for all the cats.

I do slightly disagree with nibble but at the same time I do feel Brighton walks a thin line between alternative and pretentious. Some genuinely interesting people and things going on but then there also is in Manchester, Sheffield etc...Just that there aren't as many trust fund kids walking around with dreadlocks in those other cities.

Lucky you put a sweeping generalisation in there, otherwise you'd have lost all credibility

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Nibble said it's a case of Brighton pretending to be cool and dowen with the kids. I'm saying it's just a reflection of what exists and has done for a long time. The hip hop scene in this town has been going strong since the last 80's and it's now being recognised for what it is, that's all.

But I don't think nibble was not so much commenting on that as what it suggests for brighton as a whole. Brighton likes to promote itself as being quite the bohemian city and works like this ostensibly suggest that it is. However have you ever tried to get funding for anything? I have for film projects and theres nothing out there.

I think what nibble is suggesting is that while there is certainly interesting things going on some of it is a bit of a front.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
keaton said:
Lucky you put a sweeping generalisation in there, otherwise you'd have lost all credibility

So you are saying that there aren't load of fairly affluent middle class kids walking around with dread locks and the like? I know there is having gone to sussex uni and been to parties that they have been at. It wasn't so much of a generalisation as making the point of what these people represent, a sort of metonym for a cultural sub section that seems to be prevalent in Brighton.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Les Biehn said:
So you are saying that there aren't load of fairly affluent middle class kids walking around with dread locks and the like? I know there is having gone to sussex uni and been to parties that they have been at. It wasn't so much of a generalisation as making the point of what these people represent, a sort of metonym for a cultural sub section that seems to be prevalent in Brighton.

i'm not saying there isn't, i'm saying that they're not representative of Brighton hip-hop or of Brighton in any way

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
keaton said:
i'm not saying there isn't, i'm saying that they're not representative of Brighton hip-hop or of Brighton in any way

I never said they were representative of Brighton hip hop and I also said they are representative of a certain cultural sub section of Brighton. One that adds to the feel that Brighton is such an alternative city yet at the same time is to a certain degree just ostensibly promoting alternative cultural expression.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England

think its just shut down now (Rarekind?) or moved, seems to have been converted into a pub

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
maffew said:
think its just shut down now (Rarekind?) or moved, seems to have been converted into a pub

It's moved. Now next door to the great eastern on Trafalgar Street.

Someone should buy THIS from there

011607073221.jpg

Dave the OAP

Jul 5, 2003
at home
¡Cereal Killer! said:
I think I might wonder down there tomorrow

I wonder, did you wander down, or wonder down wandering?

D'Angelo Saxon

SW19ULLS
Jul 30, 2004
SW19
Originally posted by Les Biehn However have you ever tried to get funding for anything? I have for film projects and theres nothing out there.[/B]

Ahhh... so this is because you didn't get funding for something and you're annoyed that some other people did?

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
D'Angelo Saxon said:
Ahhh... so this is because you didn't get funding for something and you're annoyed that some other people did?

Yes thats the reason. If you read my post I said there is nothing out there, so how can not get funding from a fund that doesn't exist? Still nice that despite you not reading my post properly you have passed comment.

It's a shame sometimes. Instead of just saying that the Graffiti is shit I actually try to have a reasoned debate based on an articulated response of why I don't like it. Seems some people would rather just have a petty argument instead. Well D'Angelo.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Les Biehn said:
Yes thats the reason. If you read my post I said there is nothing out there, so how can not get funding from a fund that doesn't exist? Still nice that despite you not reading my post properly you have passed comment.

So why bring up the funding issue in relation to this? That's how I read it too....

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
So why bring up the funding issue in relation to this? That's how I read it too....

Because anything creative needs funding. If Brighton was so right on there would be more funding for all types of projects not just ones that are highly visible.

Oct 25, 2003
i like the one of two men COPPERS getting off on the side of the albert, next to one of GEORGE BEST and JOHN PEEL

i like the albert

especially BEER&RAPe

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here