Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Kensington St Graffiti project - especially for Les Biehn as I know he loves it

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
ChapmansThe Saviour said:
And anyway Bry, it's hardly intrusive. How regularly do you walk down Kensington Street?

Not now :angry:

:jester:

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
BRILLIO bloody is a word.

I know what you mean about the JUMBLE of colours but it looks much better in real life. The piece on the right is really quite good when you look at it in scale.

And anyway Bry, it's hardly intrusive. How regularly do you walk down Kensington Street?

The thing I like about the image of blue that is half done is its almost like a huge piece of postmodern art, like some one has dropped a large pot of blue paint down the building. Makes me look at it in a whole different way.

The Graffiti doesn't do that, it just looks like a shit hole area covered up with some sort of plagarised street art from 80's New York.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I think it is very impressive but it is too obtrusive for a big wall that is permanently on show. I would rather have some art to reflect upon, rather than stand there and become confused by the melee of scribbles and words I don't understand.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Barrel of Fun said:
I think it is very impressive but it is too obtrusive for a big wall that is permanently on show. I would rather have some art to reflect upon, rather than stand there and become confused by the melee of scribbles and words I don't understand.

I don't mind something I don't understand as long as it evokes some intrigue or emotion in me. The graf art strikes me as style over content.

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
Re: Re: Kensington St Graffiti project - especially for Les Biehn as I know he loves it

Bakesy said:
You just KNOW that next week a plumber will drill a big hole in that wall and stick a big boiler flue through it!!!:lolol:
No giving John Boy ideas. It will only end in tears.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
ben andrews' girlfriend said:
And it's a BRILLO word too.

BRILLO

Don't you clean saucepans with them?

Jesus Gul

Feb 23, 2004
Head on down. It's WICKERD!

457910198_e72a0477ef.jpg

461306939_16b5ae152d.jpg

456481037_0b4e8b5810.jpg

455084587_64e35e60b6.jpg

455070122_570b34a78b.jpg

not original - my teachers used to do similar graffiti in my schoolbooks - little red cross on white background

D'Angelo Saxon

SW19ULLS
Jul 30, 2004
SW19
Barrel of Fun said:
I would rather have some art to reflect upon, rather than stand there and become confused by the melee of scribbles and words I don't understand.

So if you don't understand something, then it holds no value?

Les Biehn said:
I would like to see a graffiti artist who did stuff in some other style. Maybe something classical, a landscape, some pop art, maybe a huge recreation of a Hopper picture...

462145376_b782978b70.jpg

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Barrel of Fun said:
Not at all. But it annoys me when I can't read something that is written in English. It was more a dig at the tags that you see.

Don't pussy foot around BoF, lets be honest they don't really have meaning. The adoption of expression from another culture is fine as long as it has a twist or meaning but the Graf art doesn't seem to have evolved in years. I would also like to know what statement that that piece of work is actually saying. It appears to have no political message and it doesn't actually interact with its surroundings in any way it has just merely used them as a canvas.

However if I am wrong then I will be happily told why, always willing to learn:)

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Spot on.

It seems to be an explosion of different styles of grafitti, sticking two fingers up at the system, even if this is legal grafitti.

I think a Salvador Dali'esque' work would be better suited and certianly have more meaning. It is impressive, but lacks character.

I am a great fan of wall art. They have some fantastic examples in Cuba, even if the subject does revolve around one person.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I have to confess to limited knowledge of Graffiti, but I suspect there probably isn't that much to know.

Not a big fan I have to be honest and everyone I have met who hails themselves as a graffer, bar none, has been a twat of the highest order.

I'm all for giving little n'er do wells somewhere to scribble but why do we now have to be forced to endure its' cluttered appearence and confused assembly?

I'm afraid it is another case of Brighton pretending to be down with the kids and trying to be the coolest place in England. Neither of which it is.

Graffers, B-boys, Lords of the can-you have been rumbled. Walk away while you still can.

What next-skateparks?????????????

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Nibble said:
why do we now have to be forced to endure its' cluttered appearence and confused assembly?

True and an excellent critique.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
455084587_64e35e60b6.jpg

That just looks horrible. I dont mind decent Graffiti but there is way too much going on here, its a mess, with no real messsage or even decent imagery. Lets just whack loads of tags up using a shed load of uncoordinated colours and hope it looks ok.

I give it 2.6/10

D'Angelo Saxon

SW19ULLS
Jul 30, 2004
SW19
Les Biehn said:
I would also like to know what statement that that piece of work is actually saying. It appears to have no political message and it doesn't actually interact with its surroundings in any way it has just merely used them as a canvas.

So surely portrait art has no political message or interaction with its surroundings either?

To say all art needs a message is a little off the mark I think.

I guess all art has its critics, some you like, some you don't. Graf is all about the lines, and the skills of the artists in controlling and using a medium which isn't the easiest to control. Even if you can draw and paint, it doesn't mean you'd be able to use a spray can to any decent level.

Agree to disagree...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here