Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Kenny Jackett

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Every bookie site I've looked at makes the two clear faves Harry Redknap and Roberto Di Matteo

Yes they do but Kenny Jackett has appeared somewhere between 6th and 8th place, as my original post said.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
Just to put things in to perspective, Kenny Jackett's Win Percentage as a manager is 42% from 522 matches in charge. For Gus, it's 44% over 194 matches so they are not dramatically different.

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
Every bookie site I've looked at makes the two clear faves Harry Redknap and Roberto Di Matteo

At 4/1 and 5/1, neither are short favourites - the market is still wide open.

I think this is largely because there are so many vacancies the same candidates are being considered for and also because it's still a bit of a messy situation with Gus just suspended rather than actually gone. This could run and run...

If any of the bookies thought 'arry or RDM were actually close to getting the job, they'd be odds-on in the blink of an eye

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
Just to put things in to perspective, Kenny Jackett's Win Percentage as a manager is 42% from 522 matches in charge. For Gus, it's 44% over 194 matches so they are not dramatically different.

A 42% win rate is quite respectable over that number of matches, especially as much of his managerial work has been taking over clubs that were struggling at the time. He could be the right manager to take over at Wolves, considering their regression in the past 2 years.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
That's football, every dog has its day - But comparing the managers over the last 4/5 years makes it quite depressing that people are actually considering him.

You do talk some right shite.

Jacketts achieved far more as a manager than Poyet has, so it's understandable that he is being considered especially if we want a manager who is likely to bring some stability to the club. And who is good at getting the most out of a smaller budget and weaker squad as he has done at Millwall over the last 5 years. With financial fair play coming into effect all the retards on NSC calling for Harry Redknapp and making constant posts about backing Poyet in the transfer window over the last few seasons are going to have to accept that we are not going to go out and spend £10million on players, we have a budget that Bloom is clearly keen to stick to and that isn't going to attract Harry Redknapp to the job.

Bra

Feb 21, 2009
patcham
You do talk some right shite.

Jacketts achieved far more as a manager than Poyet has, so it's understandable that he is being considered especially if we want a manager who is likely to bring some stability to the club. And who is good at getting the most out of a smaller budget and weaker squad as he has done at Millwall over the last 5 years. With financial fair play coming into effect all the retards on NSC calling for Harry Redknapp and making constant posts about backing Poyet in the transfer window over the last few seasons are going to have to accept that we are not going to go out and spend £10million on players, we have a budget that Bloom is clearly keen to stick to and that isn't going to attract Harry Redknapp to

Are you saying that you believe the budget to br such this year that we not be able to compete at the top end of the division and should be appointing a manager good at dealing at the lower end and identifying lower league targets. How do you explain that to the likes of pig, bruno, bridcutt etc.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Are you saying that you believe the budget to br such this year that we not be able to compete at the top end of the division and should be appointing a manager good at dealing at the lower end and identifying lower league targets. How do you explain that to the likes of pig, bruno, bridcutt etc.

I believe it's very important we recruit a manager who is going to able to get the most out of the squad, Poyet has been backed very well over the last 3 years and assembled an excellent squad, which he has failed to get the best out of. Given that we are unlikely to spend much more this year, anyone calling for a manager like Redknapp who would undoubtedly want to bring in multiple big money signings is being completely unrealistic. We need a manager happy to work inside the budget we have and Jackett is one of those, and he has an excellent record over the last 5 years.

You talk about 'identifying targets' well let us not forget that Poyet has brought such players as Harley, CMS and Holroyd to the club.

Bra

Feb 21, 2009
patcham
I believe it's very important we recruit a manager who is going to able to get the most out of the squad, Poyet has been backed very well over the last 3 years and assembled an excellent squad, which he has failed to get the best out of. Given that we are unlikely to spend much more this year, anyone calling for a manager like Redknapp who would undoubtedly want to bring in multiple big money signings is being completely unrealistic. We need a manager happy to work inside the budget we have and Jackett is one of those, and he has an excellent record over the last 5 years.

You talk about 'identifying targets' well let us not forget that Poyet has brought such players as Harley, CMS and Holroyd to the club.

Do not disagree that he has also made some bad signings, most managers do, but what are your expectations for next season? I would see mid table consolidation with someone like jackett and I think we should aim higher. We have alot of goodwill and great crowds but they will fall off if we are average next season and I am concerned that it will be a missed opportunity. We dont know what the budget is but I hope it is high enough so we can be competitive next season and will be aiming for a higher quality appointment than jackett but time will tell I guess.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Jackett is 20-1. Redknapp, Di Mat, Sherwood and Ferguson all around 5s. It means FA,

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Do not disagree that he has also made some bad signings, most managers do, but what are your expectations for next season? I would see mid table consolidation with someone like jackett and I think we should aim higher. We have alot of goodwill and great crowds but they will fall off if we are average next season and I am concerned that it will be a missed opportunity. We dont know what the budget is but I hope it is high enough so we can be competitive next season and will be aiming for a higher quality appointment than jackett but time will tell I guess.

Jacket has won a lot of promotions, and had Millwall in the playoffs playing good football at the start of the season, I don't see why appointing him points towards mid table consolidation.

Bra

Feb 21, 2009
patcham
Jacket has won a lot of promotions, and had Millwall in the playoffs playing good football at the start of the season, I don't see why appointing him points towards mid table consolidation.

it maybe just me then but i dont feel that jackett could either keep our current high profile stars happy or attract quality additions to challenge, but maybe thats why i work in personnel rather than football.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I see Ali Jenkins is 4th favourite now. . . . But who is that.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
Not sure about Jackett.

It's been mentioned a few times on here how well Millwall played at the Amex. This is true to a point but when they went two up the mindset of the team totally changed - they were probably the worst time wasters I saw during the season. Who remembers that guy spending an age getting treatment and then getting booked for walking off across the pitch?

Not sure I want that kind of mentality at the club thx.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I'm sure he'd be reasonable, but i thought we were a club of cosmopolitan glamour and our leader is a touch abnormal and therefore intriguing. For me, they're vital ingredients for our continued growth so i am not the Jacketto is perfectly apt, being an icon of pure normalcy.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003

That is, Poyet with the Clubs scouting system. No doubt the same players would have been identified whoever the Manager was.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
If we appoint some jobber like Jackett, make no significant signings and make a poor start to the season I can see more than a few direct debits being cancelled.

Which will end up with a lot of fans with CCJs against them.
Don't see why people would have a problem with Jackett. He's done pretty well with an average team with a low income. I think he might just be the sort of low key individual that will give us our club back, allow us to develop at a reasonable pace whilst we get the acadamy up and running, make progress whilst keeping within budgets, and make headlines for the right reasons.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Which will end up with a lot of fans with CCJs against them.
Don't see why people would have a problem with Jackett. He's done pretty well with an average team with a low income. I think he might just be the sort of low key individual that will give us our club back, allow us to develop at a reasonable pace whilst we get the acadamy up and running, make progress whilst keeping within budgets, and make headlines for the right reasons.

Exactly this. The last thing the club needs right now is another media-whore 'celebrity manager'.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here