Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Kenny Jackett

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
Would much rather Steve Coppell, who like Jackett, quietly gets on with things but unlike him has a proven track of getting teams promoted to the Premier League without spending vast sums.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Agree that his record is okay but if we are go continue the progress the club is making, attract the quality players we have been and keep 22000 odd season ticket holders happy I am not sure this is the name to do it. And yes they may have been better than us that night, but we got a draw, beat them at the den and finished many places above them. If it is him then the budget worries may be true.

A team full of internationals and ex La Liga stars, finished comfortably above a team of championship journeymen. That doesn't really tell you the entire story about their respective managers' merits, does it?

He would do the business if you like watching hoooooffffff!!!! Football!

This is nonsense. I don't imagine you've actually ever watched Jackett's Swansea or Millwall teams. If you did watch the game this season at the Amex and still hold that view, your understanding of the game is very limited.

What on earth do you base that on ? Millwall played some excellent stuff at the Amex, and he always sets his teams up to play good football. Jackett is not a hoof-merchant at all.

That.

My only concern with Jackett is that he is unlikely to have the contacts to bring in the players we need. Gus brought in Kusczak, Bridge and Upson, which probably comes with a favourable media slant and a career at some of the country's biggest clubs. Jackett just wouldn't have the same reach.

And possibly a bit of that. This could be a concern.

ali jenkins

Thanks to Guinness Dave
Feb 9, 2006
Southwick
Is this 4 or 5 'bookies favourites' in the 7 days since Gus was suspended?

I reckon I could be a bookies favourite if a couple of people put a few hundred quid on it.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
The biggest concern with Jackett is his inability to atttract players, potentially. People underestimate Poyet in this regard. If Jackett had been our manager I really don't think the likes of Upson, Bridge, Vicente, Lopez or CMS (who chose Gus over better financial offers elsewhere) would have come.

The biggest concern with Jackett is his inability to atttract players, potentially. People underestimate Poyet in this regard. If Jackett had been our manager I really don't think the likes of Upson, Bridge, Vicente, Lopez or CMS (who chose Gus over better financial offers elsewhere) would have come.

While clearly Gus played a significant role in attracting a fair few of those players, was it his name or his sales pitch that convinced them? I can believe that Vicente, Lopez and Bridge may have only talked to the club because Gus is here, but I'd imagine with Upson and CMS it was the league position and infrastructure that convinced them to talk to us in the first place, and Gus then sealed the deal. If Chris Hughton can convince Ricky Van Wolfswinkel to sign for ruddy Norwich then anything is possible.

rouseytastic

Sep 22, 2011
Haywards Heath
Very unfair appraisal of his efforts at Millwall, that. He actually had them in the play off positions, which is impressive with the squad he had. Then in the transfer window he lost Chris Wood to Leicester and Darius Henderson to Forest, and their season nose-dived from there.

His team looked excellent at the Amex. Attacked with pace and strength, but with plenty of slick interplay too. He is also the man who put Swansea on the path to where they are now. I wouldn't be against Jackett at all. One of the better candidates.

Well said. I for one would ok with him coming here. Steady hands, not one to rock to the boat etc

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
The problem with what I say (and now you) is that there really can't be many managers available with that star attraction on the market. Zola and Di Matteo are two examples, but Zola could be in the Prem next season anyway and there are three Premiership vacancies that promotion and Champions League winning Di Matteo could probably walk into if he wanted.

It might be that it's worth taking a punt on a player who has done it at the highest level and now wants to cut his teeth in management. It would be risky, but what about someone like Phil Neville working in partnership with Jackett (or more realistically Darren Ferguson)?

Monsieur Wabee

Apr 30, 2009
Cowfold
When I've stopped crying at the thought of KJ being given the job I'm going to phone Curbishley and ask if he'd take the job in return for me becoming his bitch for life.

In reality I'd love RDM, but I can't see that given recent events in the Premiership. The likes of Jackett and Ferguson would send out the wrong message to not just the fans, but also rival clubs.

Bra

Feb 21, 2009
patcham
As I said steady but suitable for a club with multi national talented squad with premiership hopes? really dont see it I am afraid. I would see this as a backward step

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
I'd quite like Kenny Jackett, no doubt he's not fashionable enough for some of our fans but Millwall played some decent football under him. We got a right mauling in the second half up at there's this Season.

5mins-from-amex

Sep 1, 2011
coldean
Gus Poyet or Kenny Jackett? :nono:

Kenny's not fit to clean Gus' boots. We really can't afford to take such a massive step backwards with this next appointment.

Get you're tongue out of Poyets ass, its getting boring now.

Batti

Jul 19, 2010
As I said steady but suitable for a club with multi national talented squad with premiership hopes? really dont see it I am afraid. I would see this as a backward step

I think you might be right but I also think the club may be taking a step backwards this season in order to be in a better position to take a few steps forwards in future seasons

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I'd quite like Kenny Jackett, no doubt he's not fashionable enough for some of our fans but Millwall played some decent football under him. We got a right mauling in the second half up at there's this Season.

Sadly, I'm certain this is the issue for a lot of them.

Somebody in this thread has stated that the appointment of KJ would send out the "wrong message". Surely it would send out the message that we do not rely on style over substance.

Bra

Feb 21, 2009
patcham
The next appointment is key. The club needs to keep progressing to keep expanding its growing fanbase and keep the money rolling in. Appointing a jouneyman type manager sends out the message to everyone that we are happy as a mid table also ran championship club. Yes I know that I will be met with the remember where we come from comments (I went to gillingham so know) and am not saying spend what you cant afford, but with the momentum we have now is the time to build on that and aim high.

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
Suddenly appearing in the odds as 6-8th favourite. Very random.

Every bookie site I've looked at makes the two clear faves Harry Redknap and Roberto Di Matteo

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here