Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Karanka

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Boro Club Statement

Middlesbrough Football Club can confirm that Aitor Karanka did not take training on Saturday morning.

Assistant Head Coach Steve Agnew will take charge of the team for Sunday’s fixture at Charlton Athletic.

We appreciate supporters will want to know further details, but at this time the club cannot make any further comment and is solely focused on Sunday's game at The Valley.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Yep it's starting to seem like the situation we had with Gus Poyet towards the end of his reign. Throwing his rattle out of the pram, & blaming everybody but himself when the team fails to preform. THANK GOD we don't have all that anymore at the Albion.

Literally nothing like the Poyet situation. Gus wanted more money to compete, the club was already losing £10 million a season refused to significantly raise the already substantial playing budget. I can't once recall Gus blaming the players when the they failed to perform so don't rewrite history.

AK situation seems more like the chairman is interfering and AK can't handle the pressure and the personalities in the dressing room. In short, nothing like the cult of personality that GP had - like him or loathe him he had respect in the dressing room. Looks like AK has lost it,

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Just another example of the incredible pressure being felt by those at the top of the Championship and bottom of the Premier League

A couple of months ago you'd have said Boro were in cruise mode for top two, now it's a fight again - and the strain has shown.

With the money at stake it is an unprecedented run-in, every board knows it, and most of them will be leaving the manager in no doubt as to what is needed.

string_bean

Dec 15, 2014
Just another example of the incredible pressure being felt by those at the top of the Championship and bottom of the Premier League

A couple of months ago you'd have said Boro were in cruise mode for top two, now it's a fight again - and the strain has shown.

With the money at stake it is an unprecedented run-in, every board knows it, and most of them will be leaving the manager in no doubt as to what is needed.

exactly, with the ridiculous amount of money at stake nowadays, if you look at the football league pyramid from space, the top of the championship and the bottom of the premiership is like jupiters big red spot

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Shame they're only playing Charlton really and not mid-table team. Still think they will win comfortably........ we'll see.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Literally nothing like the Poyet situation. Gus wanted more money to compete, the club was already losing £10 million a season refused to significantly raise the already substantial playing budget. I can't once recall Gus blaming the players when the they failed to perform so don't rewrite history.

AK situation seems more like the chairman is interfering and AK can't handle the pressure and the personalities in the dressing room. In short, nothing like the cult of personality that GP had - like him or loathe him he had respect in the dressing room. Looks like AK has lost it,

OR - Maybe he has been approached by another club and is looking for a route out

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
OR - Maybe he has been approached by another club and is looking for a route out

Yes. I bet he was itching to leave second placed 'Boro.. .. Who wants a promotion to the PL on their CV anyway?

Whatever the reasons are, being tapped up is fairly low on the list, surely.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Yes. I bet he was itching to leave second placed 'Boro.. .. Who wants a promotion to the PL on their CV anyway?

Whatever the reasons are, being tapped up is fairly low on the list, surely.

Maybe Mourinho has asked him, to join him wherever he's going?

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Maybe Mourinho has asked him, to join him wherever he's going?

Maybe. But considering the run, and his previous run ins with Adomah, Downing and Ayala, criticism of the teams work ethic and his bemusing use of Rhodes I'd say his having lost the dressing room is far more likely a scenario than possibly joining Mourinho - something he could do in a couple of months anyway.. And with a promotion under his belt.

Boro BN1

Dec 18, 2015
Mourinho was at the Fulham game last week and also watched us at the Amex. Even Bryan Robson had to bring in Terry Venables to sort the shite out.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Amusing to read a Derby fan suggesting that Wassell is a good academy coach but seems out of his depth around the big characters in the 1st team squad, compounded by making poor tactical changes today. Then on the receiving end of public abuse from players. Derby fans also suggesting how much they would like Karanka if 'Boro have really let him go......

Rather sad to read on both Derby and 'Boro forums suggesting that a) player power or player apathy and b) interference in team matters by the Chairman are being suggested as factors in their current ups and downs. Won't make the task any easier for a new manager. No wonder that Karanka is cheesed off and Clement / Wassell find Derby a handful to manage.

While I don't have too much sympathy for our rivals, especially given the money they've spent - I do find it sad that players can be accused of apathy, being unprofessional (drinking in public ahead of a game) and not appearing worried about fans witnessing it. That isn't acceptable. Sounds like certain players need a rocket.

There's never a dull week in the Championship. Thank goodness we have a sensible Chairman, Manager and generally harmonious playing squad...

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
I can't once recall Gus blaming the players when the they failed to perform ...

Really?

Poyet blasts his players

Albion boss Gus Poyet has blasted his players for abandoning the passing game he has implemented.

He branded last night’s 1-0 defeat at Watford as their worst performance for 18 months and has demanded a return to the style he preaches against Barnsley at The Amex on Sunday.

Poyet said: “It was probably the worst we have played in the last year and a half. If you play the same system and you play the same way, then you come to Watford and you don’t pass the ball, there are no angles and no bravery, then you cannot play.

If we are going to play like we did in the last 20 minutes I’ll go home. If the players are going to kick it I’ll go home, I don’t care. So we’ll see if they are brave enough to pass the ball on Sunday.

Me? I’m going to sit down on Sunday against Barnsley and watch my team pass the ball. If not I’ll go home. It’s not a matter of running and fighting, it’s a matter of playing football and being brave."

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here