Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Kabul Explosion Being Reported Near Airport

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
ISIS hate anyone who isn't ISIS, and want to kill them; The Taliban hate anyone who isn't Taliban, and are also all too happy to kill them. If only these two bunches of despiccable scum could just wipe each other out - without taking thousands of innocent lives along the way - the world would be a better and safer place.

Sadly, it won't happen.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
You been watching too much Netflix or Amazon Prime? Bit of Sky Cinema chucked in maybe?

Like Red Sea Diving Resort you mean? Based on the entirely true story of the entirely fake resort set up and operated by Mossad for four whole years in the 1980s? Sometimes you need to not just take everything you consume in the media on face value :shrug:

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
The Taliban has condemned the bombings outside Kabul international airport and said the attacks happened in an area controlled by US forces, PA Media is reporting.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

lasvegan

Jan 30, 2009
Sin City
My money's on US spooks. Timing's just too perfect. Western media all warn in inison about it all morning (UK time) then surprise surprise it comes to pass an hour or two later. Sorry, but I I just don't believe in that uncannily accurate level of prediction. If you ever wanted an excuse to clear the perimeter of an airport under siege on the other hand...

Your hatred of the USA knows no bounds.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
In 1975ish Paul Theroux wrote of Afghanistan in "The Great Railway Bazaar"

"Afghanistan is a nuisance. Formerly it was cheap and barbarous, and people went there to buy lumps of hashish—they would spend weeks in the filthy hotels of Herat and Kabul, staying high. But there was a military coup in 1973, and the king (who was sunning himself in Italy) was deposed. Now Afghanistan is expensive but just as barbarous as before. Even the hippies have begun to find it intolerable. The food smells of cholera, travel there is always uncomfortable and sometimes dangerous, and the Afghans are lazy, idle, and violent. I had not been there long before I regretted having changed my plans to take the southern route. True, there was a war in Baluchistan, but Baluchistan was small. I was determined to deal with Afghanistan swiftly and put that discomfort into parentheses. But it was a week before I boarded another train.”

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Never going to happen.

They just want to get as many people safely out, and get themselves out, in the next few days.

You do wonder how the last flight (or few flights) get out safely because as soon as the troops securing the airport get on a plane to get the hell out of there, there's no-one left to ensure that plane(s) gets off the ground.

Air support would be present I would think.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Nuke the Talliban

It isn't the bloody Taliban. It's ISIS. And the reason this is particularly bad is that British (and other Europan) citizens are still there trying to get out.

Nuke the Taliban. Christ, you are a pillock.

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila
Never going to happen.

They just want to get as many people safely out, and get themselves out, in the next few days.

You do wonder how the last flight (or few flights) get out safely because as soon as the troops securing the airport get on a plane to get the hell out of there, there's no-one left to ensure that plane(s) gets off the ground.

Your right, but I'm sure there will be SF on the ground in Kabul, in the next few days we might see CAP aircraft, and airborne gunships around ( C130) Kabul, on the flight trackers today there have been 3 USAF tankers circiling at FL30 to the south of Kabul not far from Kandahar, must be a reason they are/were there, they are not hiding as the transponders are on making them visable to all tracking sites.

In my time in the RAF(30 years) I never worked with SF but when flying we picked them up from many places around the globe you would not expect them to be, No way could anyone second guess or attempt to know where they are or what they are doing......our guys are not like the US they keep quiet and secretive and dont shout where they are and what they do.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
ISIS hate anyone who isn't ISIS, and want to kill them; The Taliban hate anyone who isn't Taliban, and are also all too happy to kill them. If only these two bunches of despiccable scum could just wipe each other out - without taking thousands of innocent lives along the way - the world would be a better and safer place.

Sadly, it won't happen.

ISIS are many times worse than the Taliban. The Taliban may shoot some westerners left after deadline day. ISIS will certainly rape and torture every foreigner and any local who doesn't instantly join ISIS.

The blithe English attitude that all 'w*gs' are the same is never helpful.

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Didn't Trump arrange for the release of a bunch of Taliban from prison?

What should have happened? The Afghan Army gave up without even a fight despite outnumbering the Taliban by 3:1. We've been in there 20 years, spent 10 years training them up - what more can we do other than UK/US being in there forever to 'police' it ? Afghanistan is a very complex country made up of many different tribes rather than a single country. The West tried to rebuild it as a single unified country which would never have worked

I have read on some military sites that the Afghan Army were trained to fight with Air Superiority ( provided by UK/US etc) and as soon as that was withdrawn it was known they would collapse and do a runner, a few sites are pointing out the way the Taliban are holding thier weapons and saying its exactly the way the UK/US would have taught them, asking the question have some of the Afghan Army defected to TAliban?

Last edited:

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Yep, would really not fancy being on the last flight out. In truth I’d be with Easy and crapping myself until the aircraft was well away from Kabul even now and I’d be one of the lucky ones :down:

Horrible place to take off/land I was on L1011 Tristars.....lose an engine on take off and it was known you would hit the high ground, Landings were always after dark, radio silence, transponders off, cabin blinds down an all lights off.....passengers and crew in CBA and helmets (full armour (floor and side) on the flight deck)

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Is that the excuse the US needs to roll back in and kick the taliban back into touch?

They absolutely will not. New politics - **** the rest of the world. Let them get on with it. Perhaps this is for the best.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
ISIS are many times worse than the Taliban. The Taliban may shoot some westerners left after deadline day. ISIS will certainly rape and torture every foreigner and any local who doesn't instantly join ISIS.

The blithe English attitude that all 'w*gs' are the same is never helpful.

Thhe Taliban attitudes to women is still in the dark ages, as is their banning of music. Nothing about all 'w*gs' being the same - you and I both know full well that the term covered a wide range of races and culures. However, both the Taliban and ISIS are the pits, and it really doesn't matter if one lot is more despiccable than the other - they'd still be doing Afghanistan (and the world) a favour if they annihilated each other.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Will that poor benighted country never be at peace? Don't think it ever has been, really. Always seems that there are some people there who want to kill Afghans - whether they be the British, the Russians, the Americans, or just anybody. So sad.

Edited for you. When did the Afghans ever invade the UK or Russia or America?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
You forgot to mention Biden who has caused all of this!! But I guess that doesn't fit in with your left wing politics. Going back to Blair and Bush is a complete deflection of the trouble Biden has caused. Life had improved for most, the west only had to keep a few thousand troops in there...maybe for another 50 years but that would have been better than just walking out on a developing country and leave them to the Taliban.

Stupid post. Withdrawal was first planned by Obama, a policy that Trump agreed with. Biden was just enacting the will of the people. Or doesn't that fit your soppy right wing agenda?

AmexRuislip

Retired Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Horrible place to take off/land I was on L1011 Tristars.....lose an engine on take off and it was known you would hit the high ground, Landings were always after dark, radio silence, transponders off, cabin blinds down an all lights off.....passengers and crew in CBA and helmets (full armour (floor and side) on the flight deck)

[tweet]1430467160091119618[/tweet]

Fantastic effort :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here