Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Kabul Explosion Being Reported Near Airport

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
The Taliban started an armed conflict with the Afghan Army.

August 1.

My point still stands. Releasing 5000 members of the Taliban from prison it was inevitable. And dare I say the fact an Army estimated 3 times bigger than the Taliban surrendered within a week makes me think maybe if they don't help themselves, why should the West?

DumLum

Oct 24, 2009
West, West, West Sussex.

It's what's happening in America. Following left wing Democrats on twitter for years , I'm very happy they got their man to beat Trump but now they have all gone quiet and their only defence is deflection. It's very sad that the uk and us have now become so polarised in politics that when one of their own makes the biggest mistake in 50 years they won't criticise them.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
At some point the Taliban are going to have to realise that they've fought for - and won- the right to govern and administer a COUNTRY. They need somebody to take care of bin collections, tax collections, banking business, airport dutues. It's no longer just a case of looking mean and moody with a full beard and a rifle and scowling - or worse - at the general population. Hopefully they'll drag themselves into at least the last century and be forced to acknowledge the central role of women and girls in their f***ed-up version of society. Even North Korea manage to do that

This might be the rhetoric from the top right now - a more "moderate" Taliban who can be engaged with by other nations and not turn Afghanistan into a pariah state. Even if that were true (and nobody has seen evidence enough to prove that may be the case), they have an army of battle-hardened warmongers who's interpretation of Sharia law and its 'harshness' can divert wildly from the leaders round the table in Qatar and who are now occupying government office.

Along with most of the rest of the world, I remain dubious that they've marched in, stolen control of a country with guns, but have now changed their spots. I also believe that whatever comes out of their press conferences, their militants will largely do whatever the F**k they want. Especially with all those new toys the Americans left behind for them.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Initial reports saying 13 deaths but whilst scrolling down the results of a twitter search for Kabul Airport, I came across what seemed to be a pretty horrific video that would suggest more fatalities than that, sadly.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
They're well aware of that, which is why they've spoken out about Afghans leaving over the past few days. They are clearly concerned about the brain drain that has been happening.

A country is not a lot of fun if, for example, all the people who know how to run an electricity network all leave.

For sure. Which will COMPEL them, sooner or later, to play nice with foreign states and foreign workers. Or ideally to first recognise and reward their own workers. Having a big beard and a big gun will only get you what you want and what you need up to a certain point

DumLum

Oct 24, 2009
West, West, West Sussex.
Don't have left wing political views, just my own.
No one comes out of this smelling of roses or even in the right, because this was always a no win situation.
The only people who came out of this with any benefit are arms manufacturers and all those linked within the industry of war.
Surely that is plain for anyone to see.

Fair enough. If you have your own politics you probably struggle to vote like myself these days. I honestly thought that things have improved greatly over there especially for women and to walk away is the most shameful thing I have seen an American President do in 50 years. He has always been of the opinion no American sons should die for the Afghan people even when Obama was in power. But they did and now it was for nothing.

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
Initial reports saying 13 deaths but whilst scrolling down the results of a twitter search for Kabul Airport, I came across what seemed to be a pretty horrific video that would suggest more fatalities than that, sadly.

Since the bomb was detonated allegedly in a crowd, 13 would be an under-statement indeed.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
My point still stands. Releasing 5000 members of the Taliban from prison it was inevitable. And dare I say the fact an Army estimated 3 times bigger than the Taliban surrendered within a week makes me think maybe if they don't help themselves, why should the West?

It's not an uncommon thing to do to have some kind of amnesty and release prisoners to advance talks between groups.

The only play left now is to try and work with them diplomatically and ensure the Taliban resist groups like ISIS coming into Afghanistan and trying to exert influence or use it as a place to grow the worst kind of extremists.

Ironically it might be those ultra extremists coming into Afghanistan that sees the Taliban actually adopt and allow more freedoms than previous Taliban rulers to get more legitimacy and support from its population by repelling the extremist groups.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
pres r.jpg

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Is that the excuse the US needs to roll back in and kick the taliban back into touch?

or the chance for Taliban to be seen as the best option for providing security in the country.

US doesnt want an excuse to roll back the extraction, they want to leave.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
ISIS bomb prob all part of the plan

ISIS and Talliban are together

There is no love lost between Isis and Taliban with the Taliban openly opposing Isis. This will not go down well with the Taliban as it shows that they are not the only person player in the game. The last thing the the Taliban need is Isis embedded in Afghanistan.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing

I think I just found it. Horrific.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here