Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Just Stop Oil

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
So by the same token, WHY it's ok to disrupt people going about their daily business?

At this point the argument is beyond right and wrong. Violence clearly isn't right but if someone is willing to face the consequences, because it's all being filmed and he'll 100% get a conviction, then I say good on them. If he starts a crowdfunder for legal fees I'll happily donate Hopefully a few more will get stuck in.

That makes me no different to any of the JSO supporters on this thread who support criminal activity.

I don't agree with the incessant JSO disruption, for the considered reason that they should always seek to win hearts and minds.

But there's very, very rarely an excuse for violence. People have died when their head hits hard ground. The oaf is going to time, that was disgusting.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
So by the same token, WHY it's ok to disrupt people going about their daily business?

At this point the argument is beyond right and wrong. Violence clearly isn't right but if someone is willing to face the consequences, because it's all being filmed and he'll 100% get a conviction, then I say good on them. If he starts a crowdfunder for legal fees I'll happily donate Hopefully a few more will get stuck in.

That makes me no different to any of the JSO supporters on this thread who support criminal activity.
How is that 'by the same token'? You're actively supporting assaults. The JSO people are conducting a peaceful protest to draw attention to a global issue and opponents to what they are doing decide the best (only?) way is to get all punchy? To not be able to control yourself in that situation is pathetic!

LOLz at 'Violence clearly isn't right... Hopefully a few more will get stuck in.' Genuis!

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I didn't notice any context on the video clip previously posted ,and of course that suggested on the link I provided could be false but anyway thanks for the insult
You're welcome :thumbsup:

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
I'm not so sure.

The criminal offences of walking slowly along a road holding up traffic and throwing a jigsaw puzzle at a tennis game are quite different to punching someone to the ground and then kicking them head.

Maybe that's just me though.

chickens

Have you considered masterly inactivity?
NSC Patron
Oct 12, 2022
I'm not so sure.

The criminal offences of walking slowly along a road holding up traffic and throwing a jigsaw puzzle at a tennis game are quite different to punching someone to the ground and then kicking them head.

It’s not just you.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
How is that 'by the same token'? You're actively supporting assaults. The JSO people are conducting a peaceful protest to draw attention to a global issue and opponents to what they are doing decide the best (only?) way is to get all punchy? To not be able to control yourself in that situation is pathetic!

LOLz at 'Violence clearly isn't right... Hopefully a few more will get stuck in.' Genuis!
I'm not so sure.

Why can't you acknowledge that people are directly affected by JSO's actions?

How do you quantify what is worse? 1 person gets a black eye or 1000 people miss appointments, miss school, miss holidays, lose money.

jessiejames

Never late in a V8
Jan 20, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Did you miss them disrupting George Osbourne’s wedding or a Shell Sponsored Exeter University graduation or pour paint over banks funding fossil fuels or did you conveniently ignore that. End of the day whatever they do won’t please you, so why bother to appease people. If you just view them as a woke leftie protestors because Dan Wooton or whatever Tory MP they’ve rolled out to tell you what awful people they are, are more your political alignment why should they care what you have to say, or anyone on this thread. JSO could glue themselves to Downing Street and Sheebo or whatever right wing talking head on here will complain about them being attention seekers, so why don’t people just say they don’t like them and stand by that?
No i dont like them, because of them i have been fined, luckily small fine compared to the £800 + that i could of had, even lost my job and points on my licence, spent the night sleeping in a tin can,on a piss and shit stinking layby with no security around me and fear.of my life being in danger, pay an extra day of care for my mother, when i could have been safely at home. So no this has F@#k all to do with my political alingment, and if that is ur best reply then do one. This is not the first time its happened and Unfortunately it won't be the last. Because i dont agree with them pissing off the general public dont presume who i support in politics.

Why

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

How do you quantify what is worse? 1 person gets a black eye or 1000 people miss appointments, miss school, miss holidays, lose money.
I can acknowledge that people are directly affected by the actions of JSO. Sure, no problem at all.

If you want me to 'quantify' it, I'd say that being punched and kicked to the floor is *probably* worse than being held up in a traffic jam for a bit.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010

I leave the quantification of severity to the law.

In that regard I don't think the potential punishment for walking slowly along a road or throwing a jigsaw puzzle at a tennis game would legally attract the same degree of punishment as punching someone to the ground and then kicking them in the head.

Like I say though, maybe I am wrong.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014

Violence (however understandable or not understandable) is an escalation of the dispute and best avoided. Surely the best way to protest about JSO is to use the tactics that they approve of - paint their houses, disrupt their lives, make them miss appointments and so forth. Possibly the same to their spouses and parents and families. Not violence.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Thankfully we have a 1,000 years of law to turn to, separately criminal violence from civil (or new statute) nuisance.

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia
Violence (however understandable or not understandable) is an escalation of the dispute and best avoided. Surely the best way to protest about JSO is to use the tactics that they approve of - paint their houses, disrupt their lives, make them miss appointments and so forth. Possibly the same to their spouses and parents and families. Not violence.
Or just let air out of the tire's of their diesel vehicles

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley

Of course people are directly affected by JSOs actions. That’s how protests work.

Peaceful protests are a key part of any democracy.

Algernon

Sep 9, 2012
Newmarket.
Oops, someone is going to regret his actions when he's made an example of.
Current times are hard for a certain amount of the general public and whether or not you have a valid and vital cause to show support for, you should expect that not everybody will calmly let you do what you want at their "cost".
More of this to come I expect.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I’m disrupted by the ASLEF strikes on Saturday.

I can’t wait to punch those on the picket line in the head for the extra cost + time their actions will cost me

el punal

Aug 29, 2012
The dull part of the south coast
I don't think it's the protesters who need to have a 'rethink'. From what I saw there, it's Mr Angry and Sweary who needs a 'time out' and some time on the naughty step.
Unfortunately it was only a matter of time before the reaction to JSO protests escalated. Whether you agree or disagree with their tactics (JSO) there is no doubt that they are right royally pissing off the Great British Public.
Their actions are not winning hearts and minds and I would imagine a few more Mr Angry and Sweary sorts will now step up. It still amazes me that there has been no serious injury caused by a vehicle running a JSO protester over.

Surely it is time for the JSO leaders to come up with an alternative protest action aimed at those who make the decisions - government officials, oil companies, Uncle Tom Cobley or whoever than disrupt the lives of those who have no say in the matter.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
I recently heard the term "sealioning"

If you transposed it from the Internet into real life I reckon walking slowly in the road is exactly what you'd end up with.

"Sealioning (also sea-lioning and sea lioning) is a type of trolling or harassment that consists of pursuing people with relentless requests for evidence, often tangential or previously addressed, while maintaining a pretense of civility and sincerity ("I'm just trying to have a debate"), and feigning ignorance of the subject matter"

picture-2_1657987511232.png

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
No i dont like them, because of them i have been fined, luckily small fine compared to the £800 + that i could of had, even lost my job and points on my licence, spent the night sleeping in a tin can,on a piss and shit stinking layby with no security around me and fear.of my life being in danger, pay an extra day of care for my mother, when i could have been safely at home. So no this has F@#k all to do with my political alingment, and if that is ur best reply then do one. This is not the first time its happened and Unfortunately it won't be the last. Because i dont agree with them pissing off the general public dont presume who i support in politics.

Why
Sorry the you was not meant to be personally to you, but more of a general you, I said if that’s you. But the argument that I they should do this to MPs is that they don’t get any coverage when they do that. I think that some people will never like them ever. That’s fine, but I don’t understand the line go protest at Downing Street, because I think that some will never agree with what they have to say.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here