Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Just Stop Oil

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
I think JSO will end up killing someone deliberately or inadvertently through these protests. The disruption they are causing at sporting events for example have got them the column inches and room on the airwaves they want but now it's more of a surprise if these events pass without some form of protest so as it becomes the norm the less it is going to cause the debate and so they will need to up the ante and make their protests more inconvenient or more shocking.
Is this satire?

chickens

Have you considered masterly inactivity?
NSC Patron
Oct 12, 2022
the cylinders required for compressed gas are heavy, less space for passengers, flying will become the preserve of the wealthy once again. its perfectly possible for many industries to decarbonise, if we accept the cost increases and implied restricted use that follows.

it's ironic Dale Vince is going to start a short haul airline, using conventional fuels at first, while funding Just Stop Oil.

He’s had to take a pragmatic decision to get the slots and make it viable, but I’d rather somebody competent like him have a stab at it then we just keep wringing our hands and claiming there’s nothing we can do.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

We will see more and more of this needless and unacceptable aggression if they continue to target the public.

Maybe it is time for them to have a rethink before someone gets seriously hurt.

I don't think it's the protesters who need to have a 'rethink'. From what I saw there, it's Mr Angry and Sweary who needs a 'time out' and some time on the naughty step.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
He’s had to take a pragmatic decision to get the slots and make it viable, but I’d rather somebody competent like him have a stab at it then we just keep wringing our hands and claiming there’s nothing we can do.
not saying nothing can be done, saying listen to the engineers who say this will come at a cost. engine and aircraft manufactures have spent decades making aircraft lighter and more fuel efficent. if hydrogen was better, they'd have gone with that, dominated the market with their new cheaper tech, made or saved billions.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
They could, but I suspect they wont.

I fear we’ll see worse than this in the near future if they continue to target the public.
Then what a damning indictment on the public.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Of course. Do you honestly think that there will be no more instances of individuals attacking protesters?

There are a lot of nasty and wicked people out there.
But I fail to see why JSO are the ones who need to change in this scenario

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia
Looks like JSO have pissed some one off a bit

Just Stop Oil activist is punched to the floor and kicked on the ground by boyfriend of pregnant woman after their car crashes next to protest​

worthingseagull123

May 5, 2012
But I fail to see why JSO are the ones who need to change in this scenario

They don’t need to change. But they will run the risk of isolated attacks from members of the public, should they continue to target the public.

Whilst the Justice system will deal with attackers, that is no comfort if you’ve had your teeth knocked out or your jaw has been fractured.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
I have no idea what could be done to make people use less power. The one practical thing that we could do is give vast subsidies to third world countries to build wind and solar power plants, but even that is politically fraught (eg. China).

But imagine us as the millionaire with the 100 room mansion while his neighbours live in two-room huts. If the millionaire agrees to close 50 of his rooms and take one or two fewer holidays, it isn't going to persuade the poor neighbours to cut down on their fuel usage. Poorer countries will not give up the dash for growth, so all we can try to do is make their growth plan cheaper with renewables than with gas and coal.
So we could, potentially, subsidise wind and solar development in developing countries, not sure we would need to for China, they're the ones normally investing in the development of our infrastructure. Anyway , that would help, but probably not solve the issue.

Anyway, it seems that you and others think things wont change, in terms of how people behave and how they expect to live, which very well may be the case (and political options are fraught), in which case the effects of climate change are coming, unless they're not.

That was more my original question, considering people wont change, and the effects of climate change are coming, what should we do in advance, if anything?

chickens

Have you considered masterly inactivity?
NSC Patron
Oct 12, 2022
not saying nothing can be done, saying listen to the engineers who say this will come at a cost. engine and aircraft manufactures have spent decades making aircraft lighter and more fuel efficent. if hydrogen was better, they'd have gone with that, dominated the market with their new cheaper tech, made or saved billions.

Surely we’ve all accepted we’re at the end of the fossil fuel era by now. I agree there may be a loss of range and/or capacity, and trips to Australia may require two stopovers instead of one, but there’s enormous opportunity in the retooling and development of alternative infrastructure. Let’s not let it get us down.

Jackthelad

Mar 31, 2010

Just Stop Oil activist is punched to the floor and kicked on the ground by boyfriend of pregnant woman after their car crashes next to protest​

I can understand their anger, the pregnant woman could lose her kid, but violence just plays into these JSO zombies hands. The Police really need to start stopping these dangerous protests, they are achieving nothing.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Surely we’ve all accepted we’re at the end of the fossil fuel era by now. I agree there may be a loss of range and/or capacity, and trips to Australia may require two stopovers instead of one, but there’se enormous opportunity in the retooling and development of alternative infrastructure. Let’s not let it get us down.
absolutley, maybe that's what JSO and others need to be making the protest about more. not this soppy stop licencing in the north sea. explain what is actually required. likes of Ecojet are dishonest, giving a pretense of offering an alternative that wont be available for most.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

If only someone had mentioned it on this thread (and posted a link to the video)...

:dunce:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Crikey, the puncher will get prison for that.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Why?

JSO are happy to indiscriminately target random members of the public with their protests. They have to accept that they're going to get a reaction.
Let me get this straight – you're asking WHY people should stop assaulting others?

You think that violence is the right way to go about things here?

Facking hell!

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Let me get this straight – you're asking WHY people should stop assaulting others?

You think that violence is the right way to go about things here?

Facking hell!
So by the same token, WHY it's ok to disrupt people going about their daily business?

At this point the argument is beyond right and wrong. Violence clearly isn't right but if someone is willing to face the consequences, because it's all being filmed and he'll 100% get a conviction, then I say good on them. If he starts a crowdfunder for legal fees I'll happily donate Hopefully a few more will get stuck in.

That makes me no different to any of the JSO supporters on this thread who support criminal activity.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here