Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Just Stop Oil

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
no, it's the cars; the cars cause traffic jams and increase pollution
I suspect the braindead JSO cretins dont believe blocking traffic behind a snails pace walk causes traffic jams.
they must think the traffic piled up behind them is flowly freely eh..........

there is no reasoning with that level of stupidity.

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
I suspect the braindead JSO cretins dont believe blocking traffic behind a snails pace walk causes traffic jams.
they must think the traffic piled up behind them is flowly freely eh..........

there is no reasoning with that level of stupidity.
you're missing the bigger picture

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Quite possibly but this is now the Electric Vehicle thread so these opinions no longer have any relevance on here!!!!
Hmmm my son is a mechanic and there is a long way to go with electric cars. The government/ local authorities need to be more forthcoming with recharging points. His main gripe are the batteries lifespan as they start to falter at 5yrs and cost of replacing them which is many thousands of pounds. He knows people who have reverted back to dirty oil due to this

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Don’t think it’s been posted but a great debate on ITV on this subject - well worth watching all of it:

worthingseagull123

May 5, 2012
Don’t think it’s been posted but a great debate on ITV on this subject - well worth watching all of it:

What debate?

The Just Stop Oil cult need to get people who know what they are talking about.

Shrieking, going off at tangents and an inability to answer reasonable questions at the end, didn’t do her or the Just Stop Oil cult any favours.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

do people really watch that crap? guest doesnt have a scooby and presenters keep interrupting.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Just Stop...

Really old skateboarders

willalbion

May 8, 2006
London
I don't think he is.....he is commenting on the methods used by ' the Dale Vince army ' which most of us feel are achieving precisely nothing.
Most of who? Whilst I may not agree with all of their actions, I whole heartedly agree with why they are doing it. I’ve asked a few times on this thread. What do you, anti-JSO folks, think they should do? Also, do you agree with the huge majority of scientists, that the climate is breaking down?

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Not convinced, your perception differs from mine. Hondas are nothing special, Nissans are nothing special (each has halo models, but I’m talking about their general mass market products). As I said previously if you’re hung up on comparing Nissan to Honda, compare Renault to Renault.

The Nissan on first encounter felt less solidly built than the Honda, but over time it turned out to be very much the opposite way round.

I feel you underestimate fear of the unknown and its role in decision-making.

Some people already are buying electric cars, others aren’t, the problem is that we’ve already taken the planet past a point where the effects are quite noticeable. Our current situation (I would politely suggest) requires a concerted effort to move faster.
The trouble is....the planet will not all pull together. The ' every little bit helps ' argument doesn't stand up, as the negative output of some will far outweigh the positive effort of others. Some will make far more sacrifice than others. Frustration at lack of action in certain countries will grow and it will only result in more protesting in places like the UK, where demonstrations are tolerated and civil unrest at disruption to everyday life will boil over.
We can work our socks off to lower our 2% contribution to global emissions but it will count for very little if similar effort is not put in elsewhere. Are people really going to stop using aircraft ( massive polluters ) Are we going to ban the use of giant cargo ships to transport our goods around the world ( even more massive polluters ) Are offices, homes and cars going to stop using air conditioning. Are we stopping to consider that the use of electric vehicles in the commercial world will not only slow down the transportation of goods and services around the world ( battery life/recharging etc ) but will also increase prices at the same time ( drivers hours etc )
Will people make these sacrifices? I still see well known climate activists flying all over the world, increasing carbon emissions.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Most of who? Whilst I may not agree with all of their actions, I whole heartedly agree with why they are doing it. I’ve asked a few times on this thread. What do you, anti-JSO folks, think they should do? Also, do you agree with the huge majority of scientists, that the climate is breaking down?
Don't categorise as ' anti-JSO '.....I'm not......just their methods.
They are not winning friends and influencing people. Why aren't they causing disruption at airports and trying to influence people to fly less. Why aren't they campaigning for the abolition of giant cargo ships at ports and harbours. Why aren't they demonising air-conditioning. Why aren't they blocking garage forecourts?
Their targets are not specific enough. They think by causing general disruption, they are getting their message across. They ain't. They need to be trying to persuade people that hopping on a plane for two weeks in the sun is doing the planet immediate damage. Look at our atmosphere in Lockdown, when planes weren't flying, cargo ships weren't sailing and cars were off the road. It was beautiful. It was clear. It was blue. It was cleaner and fresher. As soon as that was over, loads of people couldn't wait to jump on a plane and go on the holiday that they missed and craved. Within a short space of time, we were back to dull grey again.
I haven't flown for years and no intention of doing so. How many on here and amongst JSO can say the same.

willalbion

May 8, 2006
London
Don't categorise as ' anti-JSO '.....I'm not......just their methods.
They are not winning friends and influencing people. Why aren't they causing disruption at airports and trying to influence people to fly less. Why aren't they campaigning for the abolition of giant cargo ships at ports and harbours. Why aren't they demonising air-conditioning. Why aren't they blocking garage forecourts?
Their targets are not specific enough. They think by causing general disruption, they are getting their message across. They ain't. They need to be trying to persuade people that hopping on a plane for two weeks in the sun is doing the planet immediate damage. Look at our atmosphere in Lockdown, when planes weren't flying, cargo ships weren't sailing and cars were off the road. It was beautiful. It was clear. It was blue. It was cleaner and fresher. As soon as that was over, loads of people couldn't wait to jump on a plane and go on the holiday that they missed and craved. Within a short space of time, we were back to dull grey again.
I haven't flown for years and no intention of doing so. How many on here and amongst JSO can say the same.
Thank you for your considered and reasonable reply, there’s some excellent points in there, I don’t know the answers. I agree with you on the the benefit of lockdown (to my eyes) to our environment, it was lovely to see plane free skies.

jessiejames

Never late in a V8
Jan 20, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
I would support them if they glue themselves to the gates of Downing street or to there local MP. All they are doing is pissing off the public. Its the public they need to get onside with. I bet they use there cars just as much as we do, happy to wear cloths that are oil based, use oil based substances to make there banners.
Unfortunately the technology is not around to completly stop the use of oil. We will still have Diesel fuel fir lorries.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
I would support them if they glue themselves to the gates of Downing street or to there local MP. All they are doing is pissing off the public. Its the public they need to get onside with. I bet they use there cars just as much as we do, happy to wear cloths that are oil based, use oil based substances to make there banners.
Unfortunately the technology is not around to completly stop the use of oil. We will still have Diesel fuel fir lorries.
Did you miss them disrupting George Osbourne’s wedding or a Shell Sponsored Exeter University graduation or pour paint over banks funding fossil fuels or did you conveniently ignore that. End of the day whatever they do won’t please you, so why bother to appease people. If you just view them as a woke leftie protestors because Dan Wooton or whatever Tory MP they’ve rolled out to tell you what awful people they are, are more your political alignment why should they care what you have to say, or anyone on this thread. JSO could glue themselves to Downing Street and Sheebo or whatever right wing talking head on here will complain about them being attention seekers, so why don’t people just say they don’t like them and stand by that?

Last edited:

willalbion

May 8, 2006
London
In terms of JSO getting the debate out there and folks talking about the problem, then it’s successful, I do find the argument ‘yeah but they drive a car, heat their homes’ spurious - of course they do* probably* their aims, which have been repeated verbatim on this thread are to stop NEW fossil fuel projects, thus quickening the transition away from fossil fuels. Which should have happened in the 1970’s, but, here we are. It’s very easy to research.

edit* spelling

Last edited:

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Just Stop...

Really old skateboarders

Boomer on boomer action!

The one with the skateboard might want to reflect on doing EXACTLY what JSO needed him to do gifting them yet another viral video and keeping their cause at the top of search engines. It’s almost as if he was an actor……

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Boomer on boomer action!

The one with the skateboard might want to reflect on doing EXACTLY what JSO needed him to do gifting them yet another viral video and keeping their cause at the top of search engines. It’s almost as if he was an actor……
In fairness I doubt they need such self publicity.

After all the only reason they are front and centre is because the government needed to over demonise them in order to cover up their own day to day clusterf**ks.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here