Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Just Stop Oil

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I’m still laughing at the dear old lady who wandered up to Osbourne and his new wife and threw some orange confetti. Everyone was throwing confetti and I’m not sure Osborne noticed. They hardly broke stride and his wife just glanced over her shoulder. Disrupted their special day? Ridiculous over reaction but no more than you would expect. Typical distraction.
This incident is covered well here.

Three take always:

1. It wasn’t JSO.
2. It well and truly covered up the ‘email’ story.
3. One of our Aussie posters was so incensed at this outrage, he threatened to punch the little old lady if she threw confetti at his wedding.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Is it me or are 'trust fund babies' getting older these days?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
seen a couple of videos on twitter from Germany. public are a bit more physical, dragging protestors off the roads.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
seen a couple of videos on twitter from Germany. public are a bit more physical, dragging protestors off the roads.
Have you seen the lorry driver attempting to drive over them?

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Why should the government engage with them?

They are no more legitimate than any other fringe protest movement.
This government won't engage with them. More's to the point, they will continue to increase carbon emissions, because that's what they've done, as is the case with the four previous iterations.
Any protest is legitimate. That's what democracy is. The demos decide what that is.
And because the government continue to facilitate the pumping of carbon into the atmosphere, JSO, XR, etc, etc will continue to challenge it.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Is it me or are 'trust fund babies' getting older these days?

At least ten counts of assault there and numerous of theft and criminal damage.

She’s the only criminal in that situation. Hopefully she got arrested?

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Because they are a fringe group.

Should the government engage with other fringe groups who want to significantly alter society without public mandate (Animal Liberation Front, Britain First, any extremist religious groups etc)?
When it's a 'fringe group' that represents something that affects the entire world, then yes, yes it should. Bollocks to a mandate, we're taking about protecting our planet for future generations - not some religious or political points-scoring exercise!

I find it baffling in some ways that, given the Albion's history, some people on here are so opposed to groups protesting against things that are 'wrong' and fighting for a solution.

worthingseagull123

May 5, 2012
When it's a 'fringe group' that represents something that affects the entire world, then yes, yes it should. Bollocks to a mandate, we're taking about protecting our planet for future generations - not some religious or political points-scoring exercise!

I find it baffling in some ways that, given the Albion's history, some people on here are so opposed to groups protesting against things that are 'wrong' and fighting for a solution.

Many frindge groups think they campaign for things that effect the whole world.

As for protecting our planet for future generations, rather than import our gas and oil needs, why not supply and refine our own during the transition to nuclear and renewables? It doesn’t equate the increased FF use, merely more reliable supply and less reliance on OPEC, Russia etc.

Norway, USA and Gulf States continue to expand drilling. Why shouldn’t we?

chickens

Have you considered masterly inactivity?
NSC Patron
Oct 12, 2022
How many other people could afford to buy themselves a nice BMW i3 rather than a petrol or diesel car?

No good saying them move needs to be now, given that most cannot make that move for the short-term.

Two points:

1. My personal financial position has improved recently, very much against long-term trends. I’m absolutely thankful and grateful to be in a position to make this change, and I’m not suggesting for a second that everyone is able to make such a change instantly. i3’s are no longer made, it will be a second-hand purchase at about £18k, so absolutely I’m fortunate to be able to make this leap. This leads me onto…

2. Even in my own neighbourhood, I’m seeing plenty of properties with driveways and 21/22 plate diesels on the driveways, often Audi SUVs. These are people who absolutely do have a choice, and are making decisions that stagger belief. I give diesels a free pass up until the 19/20 plate, electric options were limited and largely untested in real-world situations, but when I see new cars in the price bracket (or over) the cost of an electric car, parked on a driveway perfectly capable of taking a home charger, I form certain opinions about the individuals inside. Like sparking up on a hospital ward, this is no longer socially acceptable.

Jackthelad

Mar 31, 2010

Because for many people JSO/ExReb were getting preferential treatment by the police and even the mainstream media (DM aside), the language viewed is often sympathetic. It's a very middle-class movement, sponsored by some murky people. They make pointless protests that just annoy your average working person. They're not helping the problem we all need to solve with the climate crisis, if anything they have set the emergency back decades.

There does seem to be a notable difference between the eco-movements of the 80's and 90's to the pointless gaslighting protests we have now. The sad thing is these delusional JSO plonkers really do think they are changing the world. It's basically posh twats patting themselves on the back.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Many frindge groups think they campaign for things that effect the whole world.

As for protecting our planet for future generations, rather than import our gas and oil needs, why not supply and refine our own during the transition to nuclear and renewables? It doesn’t equate the increased FF use, merely more reliable supply and less reliance on OPEC, Russia etc.

Norway, USA and Gulf States continue to expand drilling. Why shouldn’t we?
So, who would make the decision on such matters?

That'd be the government, then. Who JSO are trying to engage with...

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Because for many people JSO/ExReb were getting preferential treatment by the police and even the mainstream media (DM aside), the language viewed is often sympathetic. It's a very middle-class movement, sponsored by some murky people. They make pointless protests that just annoy your average working person. They're not helping the problem we all need to solve with the climate crisis, if anything they have set the emergency back decades.

There does seem to be a notable difference between the eco-movements of the 80's and 90's to the pointless gaslighting protests we have now. The sad thing is these delusional JSO plonkers really do think they are changing the world. It's basically posh twats patting themselves on the back.
Ah the classic 'That's not the right way to protest' line. In response to EVERY form of protest 🤣🤣

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Elected governments make decisions based on manfiesto promises.

Not climate change cults.

There is no reasoning with groups like Just Stop Oil.
There certainly isn't with the current regime, no!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here