Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Just Stop Oil

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
From my limited research (there’s so much material out there) it’s not only Just Stop Oil, there’s a huge number of climate scientists who say the same thing. The hope is to move toward renewable energy, not fossil fuels. I di not think taking more of it out of the ground is not the answer. I
Extracting every last drip from the North Sea won’t give us cheaper energy, it won’t give us energy security and will run out soon.

We all know the Tory links to the fossil fuel industry and a lot of them will need a job in a year or two

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Just Stop Oil aren’t arguing about stopping the use of oil though. They just don’t want any new oil reserves to be exploited, instead wanting the UK to rely on imports.
I think the stopping of using oil is kind of implied in the name Just Stop Oil.

I don't think they want the UK to rely on imports, that would be silly. I suspect they want the UK to Just Stop (using) Oil.

There website doesn't seem to have a manifesto as such but I feel safe to assume the above.

Just Stop (using our own) Oil (and buy other people's). Makes a whole lot less sense.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Funny how Greta Thunberg seems to have dissapeared recently or perhaps the media have gagged her?

They fall over themselves to get Farage's opinion which are nearly always wrong.

I always think if your opinions and analysis generally turn out to be false, misleading or downright nonsense your credibility is not valuable, yet Farage is on almost every media outlet on a regular basis, so to that pompous twat jacob rees-snob
Unlikely

BBC/Sky are very much on board on climate change, why would they gag her?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I think the stopping of using oil is kind of implied in the name Just Stop Oil.

I don't think they want the UK to rely on imports, that would be silly. I suspect they want the UK to Just Stop (using) Oil.

There website doesn't seem to have a manifesto as such but I feel safe to assume the above.

Just Stop (using our own) Oil (and buy other people's). Makes a whole lot less sense.
their stated aim, down the bottom of their home page "Just Stop Oil is a nonviolent civil resistance group demanding the UK Government stop licensing all new oil, gas and coal projects.".

so can infer they want us to stop getting oil locally and use that extracted elsewhere. of course that would be silly, they pivot to a more general dont use any oil message at other points. they seem more about the protesting (get trained, come to a talk) than the objectives.

then they'll get on with their revolution, from their background page "...If you are not in resistance you are appeasing evil. If you continue to stand by you are betraying 200 years of struggle and the sacrifice of those that came before us. It is time to put everything aside, we are going into resistance with or without you. Are you bystander or are you going to rise up? ". i find amusing they think a rapid change to low energy world will avoid social collapse, when for a society based on energy it obviously would cause one.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
their stated aim, down the bottom of their home page "Just Stop Oil is a nonviolent civil resistance group demanding the UK Government stop licensing all new oil, gas and coal projects.".

so can infer they want us to stop getting oil locally and use that extracted elsewhere. of course that would be silly, they'll pivot to a more general dont use any oil message at some point. they seem more about the protesting (get trained, come to a talk) than the objectives.

then they'll get on with their revolution, from their background page "...If you are not in resistance you are appeasing evil. If you continue to stand by you are betraying 200 years of struggle and the sacrifice of those that came before us. It is time to put everything aside, we are going into resistance with or without you. Are you bystander or are you going to rise up? ". i find amusing they think a rapid change to low energy world will avoid social collapse, when for a society based on energy it obviously would cause one.
I think a lot of their anger comes from the trashing of environment promises made by the likes of Cameron (who I’m guessing many of the wealthier and older JSO protesters voted for) by the likes of Johnson, Truss but especially Sunak. I suspect, like yourself, a much clearer manifesto will be launched as they grow and become influential with the next government. It would be no surprise if someone like Caroline Lucas turns up in this organisation after the next election.

Sunak is a profound coward who understands life through the prysm of lobbying, entitlement and having a clear and strong correlation between wealth and power. That Tory party election campaign is clearly not going to pay for itself. Ditching green policies and moving environmentalists into the culture war by labelling them as ‘woke’ is the clear and obvious strategy the government is currently engaging in that will play out well with the lobbyists from the oil industry who, let’s face it, are struggling to spend all the billions of extra profit they purposely didn’t forecast.

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023

so can infer they want us to stop getting oil locally and use that extracted elsewhere. of course that would be silly, they pivot to a more general dont use any oil message at other points. they seem more about the protesting (get trained, come to a talk) than the objectives.

They may consider themselves ‘nonviolent' but they’re certainly not non-aggressive. I think the difference between the two is often overstated. Anything that involves duress and disruption carries an element of violence.

Goldstone Guy

Nov 18, 2006
Hove

Why would getting all our energy from renewable sources, which is much cheaper than getting it from fossil fuels (original edited), cause societal collapse? It wouldn't, the only collapse would be in back-handers for politicians.

Last edited:

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Why would getting all our energy from renewable sources, which is much cheaper than getting it from oil, cause societal collapse? It wouldn't, the only collapse would be in back-handers for politicians.
And potentially a collapse in the obscene profits from companies like BP who should be investing them into renewables not more oil fields. Hopefully Starmer will not protect them in the same way Sunak has. https://amp.theguardian.com/business/2023/may/02/bp-profits-energy-windfall-tax-oil-gas

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
And potentially a collapse in the obscene profits from companies like BP who should be investing them into renewables not more oil fields. Hopefully Starmer will not protect them in the same way Sunak has. https://amp.theguardian.com/business/2023/may/02/bp-profits-energy-windfall-tax-oil-gas
Things change when you come into power. However much Starmer, Sunak or anybody else spout green energy the Oil companies pay a lot of tax which they don't want to turn off despite the cries for windfall taxes. Also how much do the government make from every litre of petrol/diesel a kings ransom which probably will never be matched by electric vehicles, that's a huge void to fill most probably by joe public eventually in higher taxes

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Why would getting all our energy from renewable sources, which is much cheaper than getting it from oil

Excuse me what? Buying and running an electric car is not cheaper than a petrol/diesel car, it's more expensive. Where do you get the idea it's much cheaper?

BevBHA

Jan 23, 2017
Haven’t read this thread at all, thought I’d join in the conversation.

Read the last page of the thread to see the discussion to see one poster claiming Just Stop OIL want the government to only use imported OIL

And a second poster saying the government make decisions based on manifesto promises.

I think I’ll sit this one out.

Goldstone Guy

Nov 18, 2006
Hove
Excuse me what? Buying and running an electric car is not cheaper than a petrol/diesel car, it's more expensive. Where do you get the idea it's much cheaper?
See above. Incentivise people with cheap energy bills and more would be for it. Apologies for oversized graphics and I haven't fact-checked the sources and graphs but I think this is accepted (just not publicised much) - renewables are much much cheaper. Yes the solar power cost I suspect is for USA which gets more sunshine than we do, but onshore wind is just as cheap. Shame the renewable energy companies don't have the cash reserves to "lobby" (probably bribe) our politicians.

View attachment 163343

View attachment 163344

I admit I can't guarantee the reliability of the sources but multiple sources put similar figures on the cost of energy (electricity) production. You won't read it in the Daily Mail or Telegraph though. I agree it gets more complicated when talking about things like cars.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I admit I can't guarantee the reliability of the sources but multiple sources put similar figures on the cost of energy (electricity) production.

That won't give me a cheap to run electric car.

I agree it gets more complicated when talking about things like cars.

If you're not talking about cars, what are you referring to? We use coal, gas, nuclear for our power stations, not oil.

Goldstone Guy

Nov 18, 2006
Hove
That won't give me a cheap to run electric car.

If you're not talking about cars, what are you referring to? We use coal, gas, nuclear for our power stations, not oil.
I'm referring to all fossil fuels. Agreed it won't give you a cheap-to-run electric car (but the savings made from national energy production could fund transport changes). My original post said that getting our energy from renewable sources is cheaper - I should have said cheaper than fossil fuels not oil so apologies for that.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here