Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Just Stop Oil

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Yet China are probably the biggest polluters and will be for many years to come. Massive strides should read small pidgeon steps
I take it you decided against reading the thread and all the global press linked therein.

Goldstone Guy

Nov 18, 2006
Hove
getting all our energy from renewable would be great. pay careful attention to the demand (there's not mine) to transition to a low energy world. whats the difference? much focus is on renewables for electricity, or electricity replacing petrol, overlooking the broad total energy consumption. 20-25% of total energy is electric, the rest is energy used for transport, industry and heating. if we had 100% renewable electric we'd still only be 20-25% total renewable energy. to cover the rest we'd need 5x more renewable energy, in many cases not even possible or practical.

the argument moves to reduce the amount of energy used, which means cutting transport, industry and heating. how much less transport, industry and heating do you think the population would tolerate? our society is founded on large consumption of energy, so to go low energy means low industry, low commerce, low economic output. and all the problems with society that would bring.

stop thinking about the corporations making money from producing fuels, think about the fact we consume the product of those fuels. sure profits etc, but we all benefit from the utility of whatever used that fuel.
Ok, thanks for the considered, informative post (hope that doesn't sound patronising). I agree transport is clearly an issue and changing to electric/renewable transport is likely to take years to decades. Heating - we could in theory be making sure all new boilers to replace the old ones are electric rather than gas-run couldn't we? Heat pumps use electricity so could be used a lot more (I appreciate they're not suitable for all housing). Industry - what is the main energy source if it's not electric? Some industries use fossil fuels such as steel production which uses coke from coal and we've mentioned the uses of oil in certain manufacturing. Surely we can get more than your quoted 20-25% of total used energy from renewable sources? I don't know and maybe I'm wrong, that figure just seems very low to me.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
But I thought all the protestors should be going to China to protest rather than wasting their efforts in the UK?

Oh well. India it is.
Don't worry it seems unlikely we're going to let the truth get in the way of a good story anytime soon.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Ok, thanks for the considered, informative post (hope that doesn't sound patronising). I agree transport is clearly an issue and changing to electric/renewable transport is likely to take years to decades. Heating - we could in theory be making sure all new boilers to replace the old ones are electric rather than gas-run couldn't we? Heat pumps use electricity so could be used a lot more (I appreciate they're not suitable for all housing). Industry - what is the main energy source if it's not electric? Some industries use fossil fuels such as steel production which uses coke from coal and we've mentioned the uses of oil in certain manufacturing. Surely we can get more than your quoted 20-25% of total used energy from renewable sources? I don't know and maybe I'm wrong, that figure just seems very low to me.
main source of industrial energy is gas. main source of transport is oil. every joule switched from gas and oil needs to be produced somehow, and oftern less efficent (gas is much more efficent for heating than electricity). we can certainly move the needle a lot further over 25% total renewables, the point was how much can we go before we say its not viable, we need to maintain some form of fossil source. chemicals and fertilsers would be the big concern for me, no source other than natrual gas as feedstock. then we can decide either to keep buying from the Saudis, Americans or Norwegians, or pull some of it up ourselves.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Just a little Google regarding China and coal and in the 1st 3 months of 2023 they have approved 2045 gigawatts of new coal which is more than the whole of 2021. Like I say small steps being totally wiped out by fossil fuels.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I'm not sure that is correct, air source heat pumps are very efficient. Admittedly heating systems need to be appropriately sized though.
they are efficient for a very narrow use case of getting air upto about 20-30deg. they are useless for maintaining higher temperatures, boiling water, baking foods, melting glass, smelting metals etc.

Heart and Soul

Jul 7, 2023
Stop giving personal experience views and stick to quoting the media that suits - that’s what most on here are doing! That’s 2 NSC posters in one afternoon who have had their lives seriously affected by these morons - but they still won’t listen as it’s not the FACTS they wish to hear. In everyday life in all sorts of different places and different people I have literally not heard anyone stick up for them. Everyone says what morons they are. Yet NSC seems to have dozens sticking up for them. It’s either hiding behind the keyboard syndrome or a really odd disproportionate % of people backing the criminals to what I’ve experienced in real life.

You’ll never win though - even by writing personal miserable experiences on here at the hands of these cretins. Sounds like you’ve had a rough time mate - thoughts with you 👍
Most individualists mostly hang out with other individualists and same goes for collectivists mainly hanging out with collectivists. The former usually don't like protests like this, because they care a lot about themselves (or single individuals and their personal experiences), while the latter usually like protests like this, because they care about people who are not themselves (or single individuals).
Today, individuals are affected by the actions of the collectivists from JSO, and other individualists won't like that. But you'll be delighted to hear that tomorrow, the collective will be affected by the actions of the individualists, and won't be happy about it. Unfortunately you won't have much time to celebrate, as your individual freedom will kill us all shortly after our collective issues really begin.

Yoda

English & European
The problem is not how much oil and gas is pumped nor how much coal comes out of the ground.

The simple truth is that the problem is how much of those each and everyone of us use.

The answer is not just an increase in renewables but incentives for us all to decrease our usage.

One example is the comparison of air source heat pumps - the government has set a target of 600,000 being installed by 2028 - sounds great until you realise that some 23 million households depend on gas boilers for their heating and hot water!

I believe their should be a carrot and stick approach to this - subsidise the one you want people to use and tax hard the ones you want to stop.

The same argument could be applied to new car sales, modes of transport, car, rail, bus, air etc.

Whatever the approach it has to be accepted that if we all continue to use the amount of energy we do today then the future doesn’t look very bright.

Just Stop Oil are I believe attacking climate change from the wrong angle but at least they aren’t being complacent about it.
How do you convert 3⁄4 of the UK from Gas Central Heating is a big starting problem

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Most individualists mostly hang out with other individualists and same goes for collectivists mainly hanging out with collectivists. The former usually don't like protests like this, because they care a lot about themselves (or single individuals and their personal experiences), while the latter usually like protests like this, because they care about people who are not themselves (or single individuals).
Today, individuals are affected by the actions of the collectivists from JSO, and other individualists won't like that. But you'll be delighted to hear that tomorrow, the collective will be affected by the actions of the individualists, and won't be happy about it. Unfortunately you won't have much time to celebrate, as your individual freedom will kill us all shortly after our collective issues really begin.
‘me and my friends and people I hang out with are better than you and yours’ Grow up.

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
‘me and my friends and people I hang out with are better than you and yours’ Grow up.
Not sure if that's what the poster was saying. Must admit I lost the thread a bit. But the initial sentiment, that we tend to seek solace and validation within our self-chosen bubbles, is absolutely correct, and is the root cause of our toxic politics.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here