Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Just Stop Oil

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
I propose a toast, in honour of your fine pun. You must be NSC born and bread.
Sadly there was no actual bread despite appearing so.

So it was probably a wry allusion about a rye illusion.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
If you insist on new, then absolutely, but thankfully (due to the heroic early adopters who took a chance on a new technology) there is now a second hand market of Renault Zoe’s, Nissan Leaf, BMW i3 and Tesla’s out there. There’s even Jaguar I-Pace’s out there for a decent price if you simply must drive a tank with the performance of a supercar.
No, even second hand. It's cheaper to buy a petrol car.

chickens

Have you considered masterly inactivity?
NSC Patron
Oct 12, 2022
No, even second hand. It's cheaper to buy a petrol car.

That’s what I’d describe as a sweeping generalisation that doesn’t stand up to scrutiny. E.g, a quick glance at Auto Trader will tell you that the average price of a 2015 plate Nissan Leaf is less than a 2015 plate Honda Civic. Both Japanese cars, both hatches, both seat the same number of people. With the greatest of respect, you’re wrong.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
That’s what I’d describe as a sweeping generalisation that doesn’t stand up to scrutiny. E.g, a quick glance at Auto Trader will tell you that the average price of a 2015 plate Nissan Leaf is less than a 2015 plate Honda Civic. Both Japanese cars, both hatches, both seat the same number of people. With the greatest of respect, you’re wrong.
To be fair, the 2015 Nissan Leaf has a claimed range of 124 miles when new. The Honda Civic is a far better (ie. more practical) car for most users.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Yep @Triggaaar - it looks like you can get favourable prices for your second hand e car... https://usedcars.nissan.co.uk/en/ve...WAPD_BwE&ltrack=adwords-adbox&ZIP_LOC=BN1 6SH

chickens

NSC Patron
Oct 12, 2022
To be fair, the 2015 Nissan Leaf has a claimed range of 124 miles when new. The Honda Civic is a far better (ie. more practical) car for most users.

I’d make 2 points there.

1. The Honda is only more practical if you take journeys that are over a hundred miles in total (travel and return)

If you don’t, and have a driveway where a home charger can be fitted, the Leaf is more practical as you just plug it in upon return to base. There’s no need to visit petrol stations, stand there in cold and rain breathing in the stink, queue, then hand over £80 for the privilege.

2. @Triggaaar was arguing on price, the Leaf is unarguably cheaper on average than the Civic, just as the Renault Zoe is cheaper on average than the equivalent Renault Clio.

There’s less choice atm in electric cars, but with all the models being released, there will be almost endless choice five years from now.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
I’d make 2 points there.

1. The Honda is only more practical if you take journeys that are over a hundred miles in total (travel and return)

If you don’t, and have a driveway where a home charger can be fitted, the Leaf is more practical as you just plug it in upon return to base. There’s no need to visit petrol stations, stand there in cold and rain breathing in the stink, queue, then hand over £80 for the privilege.

2. @Triggaaar was arguing on price, the Leaf is unarguably cheaper on average than the Civic, just as the Renault Zoe is cheaper on average than the equivalent Renault Clio.

There’s less choice atm in electric cars, but with all the models being released, there will be almost endless choice five years from now.
Certaily for people who never, under any circumstances, would want to travel over 100 miles, the Civic's advantage of range disappears. That's why I said the Civic is more practical for most users.

And yes, a Leaf is cheaper than a Civic, marginally. Just as a match ticket for Whitehawk FC is cheaper than a match ticket for Brighton & Hove Albion. But you need to take into account the quality of what you're getting as well.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Spanners have been out in force in the capital today, numerous arrests and placards grabbed by irate motorists apparently.
I trust the arrests were of the motorists for assault?

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea

chickens

NSC Patron
Oct 12, 2022
Certaily for people who never, under any circumstances, would want to travel over 100 miles, the Civic's advantage of range disappears. That's why I said the Civic is more practical for most users.

And yes, a Leaf is cheaper than a Civic, marginally. Just as a match ticket for Whitehawk FC is cheaper than a match ticket for Brighton & Hove Albion. But you need to take into account the quality of what you're getting as well.
Having owned a 2014 Leaf in the past, and a 2008 Civic, I’d argue that the Civic (on first inspection) seems a more solid product, but the Leaf is also very well put together, and I would actually have a Leaf again over a Civic. The Civic proved a far more costly ownership experience, was less comfortable, and had worse visibility. The Leaf is the better car.

Equally you can still do long trips in the Leaf, you just need to budget in a 30 minute stop per hundred miles. Just time for a nice coffee and to get rid of the coffee you had the last time you stopped.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here