Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Just Stop Oil

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
So, who would make the decision on such matters?

That'd be the government, then. Who JSO are trying to engage with...
when are they engaging with government? they are protesting against the public (and galleries, sports, office buildings) to gain publicity. presumably to draw attention to their cause, so that we the public call for change. except most arent engaging postively, many throughly bored or irritated by the protest, i dont recall another protest gather so much support against it (except XF, similar approach).

government has set out its stall, they believe we should keep licencing oil exploration for the economic benefits. the opposition has set out its stall, they'll stop licencing. so there we have it, future oil licencing will be decided by the next election, not beans on a painting or obstructing the highways.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I don't think the government should engage with JSO.

But by the same token they absolutely shouldn't have made them 'public enemy #1'.

An uncharacteristic terrible judgment call that has really backfired on this gover... 😂 😂 😂 😂

So close to making it to the end without laughing.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
when are they engaging with government? they are protesting against the public (and galleries, sports, office buildings) to gain publicity. presumably to draw attention to their cause, so that we the public call for change. except most arent engaging postively, many throughly bored or irritated by the protest, i dont recall another protest gather so much support against it (except XF, similar approach).

government has set out its stall, they believe we should keep licencing oil exploration for the economic benefits. the opposition has set out its stall, they'll stop licencing. so there we have it, future oil licencing will be decided by the next election, not beans on a painting or obstructing the highways.
They aren't. That's the whole point!

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Is it me or are 'trust fund babies' getting older these days?
I've seen this boring trope a few times now on this thread so I'd like to address it.

Nobody had ever that that JSO are exclusively trust fund babies.

They seem to have a 3 main demographics:
Pensioners
Trust fund babies
Academics

They don't have jobs, they're probably all bored of their own lives and that's why they don't care about disrupting everyone else's.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Because for many people JSO/ExReb were getting preferential treatment by the police and even the mainstream media (DM aside), the language viewed is often sympathetic. It's a very middle-class movement, sponsored by some murky people. They make pointless protests that just annoy your average working person. They're not helping the problem we all need to solve with the climate crisis, if anything they have set the emergency back decades.

There does seem to be a notable difference between the eco-movements of the 80's and 90's to the pointless gaslighting protests we have now. The sad thing is these delusional JSO plonkers really do think they are changing the world. It's basically posh twats patting themselves on the back.
They've been around for about a year. How many has neoliberalism been around for?
Which one of these two has 'set the [climate] emergency back decades'?

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020

aren't they still going ahead with that new coal mine?

None of Sunaks priorities include the environment

and the Tories are funded by climate change deniers

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

It’s not just the oil exploration but this government has actively stopped renewables like solar panels in fields, stating good agricultural land shouldn’t be wasted.
Good agricultural land isn’t used for solar panels. Solar panels are placed on poor grade soil, which is only good for sheep grazing.
They’ve also stopped wind farms.
MPs should be forced to declare their interests in shares etc of fossil fuel companies.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
aren't they still going ahead with that new coal mine?
Labour? certainly hope so, we need steel for the wind turbines, dont get that without coke. they arent calling themselves just stop coal, mostly because we dont use it anymore (except in a pinch, when there's no wind and it dark.)

willalbion

May 8, 2006
London
I've seen this boring trope a few times now on this thread so I'd like to address it.

Pensioners
Trust fund babies
Academics

They don't have jobs, they're probably all bored of their own lives and that's why they don't care about disrupting everyone else's.
Or they follow the science and the evidence in front of their own eyes and realise it’s, y’know going tits up climate wise. fucks sake.

Goldstone Guy

Nov 18, 2006
Hove

Pensioners
Trust fund babies
Academics

Academics "don't have jobs"? More unsubstantiated bollocks, but it's a new one I haven't heard before so well done. Has it occurred to you that climate academics are the ones who have the best idea of what the climate will be like in the next 5-40 years?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Or they follow the science and the evidence in front of their own eyes and realise it’s, y’know going tits up climate wise. fucks sake.
Gotta love being chastised for pointing out how wrong the haters are with their generalizations by someone throwing up even more generalizations.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
It’s not just the oil exploration but this government has actively stopped renewables like solar panels in fields, stating good agricultural land shouldn’t be wasted.
Good agricultural land isn’t used for solar panels. Solar panels are placed on poor grade soil, which is only good for sheep grazing.
They’ve also stopped wind farms.
MPs should be forced to declare their interests in shares etc of fossil fuel companies.
im all for renewables, its locals that keep objecting to solar and wind that's the problem, planning law needs an overhaul. have to point out we are doing more than our bit despite those objectors, with second largest offshore wind production in world. if we're honest, solar at our latitude and weather is mostly for subsidy farming rather than meaningful contribution to power generation.

worthingseagull123

May 5, 2012
Because, it’s a climate emergency, the gov’t shouldn’t need activists to get them to engage ffs. It’s happening right now.

With this ‘emergency’, the government need to meet with Just Stop Oil, to agree to their demands?

In effect, end all oil and gas exploration in the North Sea and instead we need to carry on getting all of our oil needs (and much gas) shipped thousands of miles from the Gulf States instead?

That will end this climate ‘emergency’?

Last edited:

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Sadly the way we’re heading they will be vindicated in full.

All our government has is further authoritarian laws to try and silence the public

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
Sadly the way we’re heading they will be vindicated in full.

All our government has is further authoritarian laws to try and silence the public
While condemning 'cancel culture' and insisting that freedom-of-speech is sacrosanct!

willalbion

May 8, 2006
London
With this ‘emergency’, the government need to meet with Just Stop Oil, to agree to their demands?

In effect, end all oil and gas exploration in the North Sea and instead we need to carry on getting all of our oil needs (and much gas) shipped thousands of miles from the Gulf States instead?

That will end this clinate ‘emergency’?
From my limited research (there’s so much material out there) it’s not only Just Stop Oil, there’s a huge number of climate scientists who say the same thing. The hope is to move toward renewable energy, not fossil fuels. I don’t think taking more of it out of the ground is not the answer.
Edit* shambolic sentence

Last edited:

worthingseagull123

May 5, 2012
From my limited research (there’s so much material out there) it’s not only Just Stop Oil, there’s a huge number of climate scientists who say the same thing. The hope is to move toward renewable energy, not fossil fuels. I di not think taking more of it out of the ground is not the answer. I

Just Stop Oil aren’t arguing about stopping the use of oil though. They just don’t want any new oil reserves to be exploited, instead wanting the UK to rely on imports.

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
Funny how Greta Thunberg seems to have dissapeared recently or perhaps the media have gagged her?

They fall over themselves to get Farage's opinion which are nearly always wrong.

I always think if your opinions and analysis generally turn out to be false, misleading or downright nonsense your credibility is not valuable, yet Farage is on almost every media outlet on a regular basis, so to that pompous twat jacob rees-snob

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here