Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Just Stop Oil

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Because of a previous Youtube rabbit hole I dived into, the algorithm occasionally reminds me of long haul train journeys.

Here's Paris to Barcelona (or London to Aberdeen if you prefer) done in just under 7 hours for less than €100 in first class.

This is what happens when your country has a 40 year investment in high speed rail, as opposition to shaving 20 mins off the time out of Birmingham at a cost of 100 billion pounds.
confusing, are you for or against high speed rail? if we want high speed rail it needs to be built, it'll only save small journey times over short distances, but add up over the longer distances. presumably in France and Spain they didnt have NIMBYs whine on about rail when it was built and got on with it. we prefer to complain, objecting to the new rail going within 10 miles of a town, while lamenting an old line through a village was closed in 1965.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
confusing, are you for or against high speed rail? if we want high speed rail it needs to be built, it'll only save small journey times over short distances, but add up over the longer distances. presumably in France and Spain they didnt have NIMBYs whine on about rail when it was built and got on with it. we prefer to complain, objecting to the new rail going within 10 miles of a town, while lamenting an old line through a village was closed in 1965.
Fair.

I guess I'm just against our entire after thought, privatised, railway service.
It should be so much better, but all it's doing is paying for better railways across Europe.

Why can 'we' spend over a billion on one tunnel that won't be fit for purpose in 15 years time?
It's all very frustrating, esp in the current climate.

I have no idea about protests in France and Spain, I think we can safely say if there was a chance to protest they'd have taken it!

But after 40 years of high speed rail and it just being second nature I do wonder if now they'd protest about not being included on any subsequent extensions.
Much like a parish council we know and love hoping a new hotel development doesn't spoil their view of a newish football stadium.

chickens

Have you considered masterly inactivity?
NSC Patron
Oct 12, 2022
Am actually reconsidering my transport options, at least partly as a result of JSO’s protests.

My previous plan was to run my elderly, but still comfortable, well-serviced and good to drive Merc saloon (diesel) until it was causing me expensive problems and was beyond economical cost to maintain, at which point my plan was to jump to a second hand Polestar 2 long-range, which by that time would be in my price range. I wouldn’t have home charging, so wanted the maximum range possible, to maximise the time between charges.

However, I’m not blind to the hypocrisy of believing we need to wean ourselves off oil while driving a diesel. Thanks to helping a friend pick an electric car recently, I’ve driven pretty much all the electric vehicles out there, bar the Tesla’s which I already knew about from driving somebody else’s, and the friend I was helping didn’t want.

The JSO protests have focused my mind a bit more on the fact that the move needs to be now, rather than later, and I may have to endure a bit more short-term inconvenience to do the right thing. Am currently planning on swapping before the end of the year to a BMW i3s, which is about as small and lightweight as EVs get, while still having enough legroom for the people in the back. I’ll need to charge it twice a week, but there are so many reasons for weaning ourselves off our oil dependence, and there’s plenty of places to charge attached to a coffee shop or supermarket.

They may annoy us, but I can’t claim JSO are entirely ineffective.

willalbion

May 8, 2006
London
Follow the science. It’s terrifying & utterly baffling why gov’t is not fully engaged in looking for solutions. It should be front and centre of policy for Labour & the Tories. Yet Sunak happily issues more oil & gas licences. The question is, do you believe your own eyes and do you trust experts in climate science?

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Follow the science. It’s terrifying & utterly baffling why gov’t is not fully engaged in looking for solutions. It should be front and centre of policy for Labour & the Tories. Yet Sunak happily issues more oil & gas licences. The question is, do you believe your own eyes and do you trust experts in climate science?
The government aren’t exactly ethical or competent.

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
Because of a previous Youtube rabbit hole I dived into, the algorithm occasionally reminds me of long haul train journeys.

Here's Paris to Barcelona (or London to Aberdeen if you prefer) done in just under 7 hours for less than €100 in first class.

This is what happens when your country has a 40 year investment in high speed rail, as opposition to shaving 20 mins off the time out of Birmingham at a cost of 100 billion pounds.

I suppose It's easy to forget that the 20 mins savings is only a by-product of newer technology, and the most seized upon clickbait to question the cost. The purpose of it is to create more capacity, so along with the existing lines more passengers and freight. The more lorries, and cars we can get off the roads the better.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Oh and I'm sure I'm only seeing the best of elsewhere.

Le Stat Frère avec phénoménal cheveux is probably right now bemoaning France's public transport wishing it was as good as Finland's.

But I think we know for certain he's not wishing France's infrastructure is on a par with the best the UK has to offer.

Last edited:

Pickles

May 5, 2014
I can't see a problem with them.
The protests are minimal disruption and huge publicity for a subject that we should be doing far more about, but the moneymen won't do bugger all.
When streakers ( who remembers Erica Rowe ..) used to interup the cricket or rugby, we just laughed and clapped them.

willalbion

May 8, 2006
London
It’s well worth checking out this fella. Peter Kalmus (born May 9, 1974) is an American scientist and writer based in Altadena, California. He is a data scientist at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory as an associate project scientist at UCLA's Joint Institute for Regional Earth System Science & Engineering. - any time anyone is irritated by climate protests, have a read of the fella who works for NASA. See what you could direct that anger at.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I reckon some people in 1981 thought the link to Lyon wasn’t worth it either. Every network starts with a single line.

worthingseagull123

May 5, 2012
Am actually reconsidering my transport options, at least partly as a result of JSO’s protests.

My previous plan was to run my elderly, but still comfortable, well-serviced and good to drive Merc saloon (diesel) until it was causing me expensive problems and was beyond economical cost to maintain, at which point my plan was to jump to a second hand Polestar 2 long-range, which by that time would be in my price range. I wouldn’t have home charging, so wanted the maximum range possible, to maximise the time between charges.

However, I’m not blind to the hypocrisy of believing we need to wean ourselves off oil while driving a diesel. Thanks to helping a friend pick an electric car recently, I’ve driven pretty much all the electric vehicles out there, bar the Tesla’s which I already knew about from driving somebody else’s, and the friend I was helping didn’t want.

The JSO protests have focused my mind a bit more on the fact that the move needs to be now, rather than later, and I may have to endure a bit more short-term inconvenience to do the right thing. Am currently planning on swapping before the end of the year to a BMW i3s, which is about as small and lightweight as EVs get, while still having enough legroom for the people in the back. I’ll need to charge it twice a week, but there are so many reasons for weaning ourselves off our oil dependence, and there’s plenty of places to charge attached to a coffee shop or supermarket.

They may annoy us, but I can’t claim JSO are entirely ineffective.

How many other people could afford to buy themselves a nice BMW i3 rather than a petrol or diesel car?

No good saying them move needs to be now, given that most cannot make that move for the short-term.

worthingseagull123

May 5, 2012
It’s well worth checking out this fella. Peter Kalmus (born May 9, 1974) is an American scientist and writer based in Altadena, California. He is a data scientist at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory as an associate project scientist at UCLA's Joint Institute for Regional Earth System Science & Engineering. - any time anyone is irritated by climate protests, have a read of the fella who works for NASA. See what you could direct that anger at.

He blocked me on Twitter. He was tweeting about the evils of Electric cars and that people should not have them and I asked him how much his brand new Tesla he bought cost him.

He didn’t like that.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here