Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Just Stop Oil

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
I’ve also noted not one of the JSO supporters on here bothered to send their condolences to the poor bloke who’s wife miscarried their baby and JSO heaped more pain on him. Not one to sympathise for the poor bloke who had to spend a night in a lay-by in his lorry because of them, away from his family etc. I thought the left were meant to be peace and love etc - load of tosh if this thread is anything to go by. Poor and speaks volumes for me.
If you are a member of just stop oil you are therefore left wing by default and anyone who considers themselves right or right of centre cares little about the environment? You should take political preconceptions out of it as the climate crisis has nothing to do with politics.

On the James O'Brien show yeterday he summed it up perfectly - why do people get so angry about JSO but not the climate crisis? It's simple people don't care enough about the environment partly because the government don't put enough focus on it, all they care about is re-election. their 5 main priorities do not include the climate crisis or environmental issues, instead it's "STOP THE BOATS", the irony being if we do nothing about the climate crisis refugees coming over will increase 20-fold

PeterT

Apr 21, 2017
Hove
IMG_3052.jpeg

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I'm not sure there is a single country in the world that is taxing aviation for damage it is doing
No individual country would dare do it (or those who could wouldn't do it for ideological reasons). The climate crisis needs pan-national organisation and application, but then you get the kickback from right wing twats against the idea of supranational regulation.

Basically, we're f***ed.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Surely a u-turn on net zero would mean that we decide not to go for net zero? At the moment, net zero is government policy.
1, this government -- and the four preceding ones -- have been remarkably adept at claiming something is a policy (eg, 'greenest government ever', 'levelling up', supporting 'just about managing', going for growth ... I could go on) and then introducing measures that achieve the opposite
2, net zero by 2050 is something for governments and those that haven't really reflected upon to hide behind. It's all very well saying net zero by 2050 is the government's policy when it will be dumped out of office in 2024. What matter is the targets that get set for each parliament (or some suitable alternative shorter term period). Just so you know, carbon emissions have continued to rise through the last five governments we've had to endure.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
1, this government -- and the four preceding ones -- have been remarkably adept at claiming something is a policy (eg, 'greenest government ever', 'levelling up', supporting 'just about managing', going for growth ... I could go on) and then introducing measures that achieve the opposite
2, net zero by 2050 is something for governments and those that haven't really reflected upon to hide behind. It's all very well saying net zero by 2050 is the government's policy when it will be dumped out of office in 2024. What matter is the targets that get set for each parliament (or some suitable alternative shorter term period). Just so you know, carbon emissions have continued to rise through the last five governments we've had to endure.
I agree that going from incompetent to competent would be a u-turn, if that's what he meant.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'm not sure there is a single country in the world that is taxing aviation for damage it is doing
If they haven't already France are in the process of banning all internal flights.
I guess that's fairly straight forward when you can get from one end to the other in 6 hours, by train, at a cost of less than €70.

I colleague has gone to Edinburgh for the week.
We were discussing travel options and his easiest , cheapest and most reliable was EasyJet.

Shameful.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
If you are a member of just stop oil you are therefore left wing by default and anyone who considers themselves right or right of centre cares little about the environment? You should take political preconceptions out of it as the climate crisis has nothing to do with politics.

On the James O'Brien show yeterday he summed it up perfectly - why do people get so angry about JSO but not the climate crisis? It's simple people don't care enough about the environment partly because the government don't put enough focus on it, all they care about is re-election. their 5 main priorities do not include the climate crisis or environmental issues, instead it's "STOP THE BOATS", the irony being if we do nothing about the climate crisis refugees coming over will increase 20-fold
Yep, that's pretty much the case. Why look at the root cause of a problem – and try and understand it – when you can nip any sign of dissent in the bud pronto?

I mean, why does the climate matter when there are more pressing things to deal with, such as preventing the rise of woke banks?

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Yep, that's pretty much the case. Why look at the root cause of a problem – and try and understand it – when you can nip any sign of dissent in the bud pronto?

I mean, why does the climate matter when there are more pressing things to deal with, such as preventing the rise of woke banks?
Woke banks? What is all that about?

Sounds worrying as I am reliably informed that going woke results in going broke.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Woke banks? What is all that about?

Sounds worrying as I am reliably informed that going woke results in going broke.
I don't really know. The Express was wanging on about them the other day though.

Seagull

Yes I eat anything
Feb 28, 2009
On the wing
Govt policies worldwide having no effect on escalating CO2 ppm in the atmosphere

willalbion

May 8, 2006
London
Govt policies worldwide having no effect on escalating CO2 ppm in the atmosphere
What policies? *only familiar with the UK govt’ who have met zero targets. Maybe that’s what they thought? Confused net for met 😂

Edit - quoted the wrong post - Sheebo had nowt to do with the above.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here