Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Just spoken to Dick Knight and Martin Perry re Lewes...

attila

1997 Club
Jul 17, 2003
South Central Southwick
Spoke to Dick and Martin just now.

The view from the club is that LDC are wasting their electors' money on a pointless exercise and that as far as the Albion is concerned it is business as usual. The Albion's advisors have told them that there is no chance of such a review being successful.

Be that as it may, they would like as many people as possible, especially Lewes residents, to write to the District Auditor asking this question (copied to Lewes District Council and the leader Ann De Vecchi - Lord Bracknell, can you supply the relevant e and snail mail addresses?)

- Does Lewes District Council have the power to risk vast sums of electors' money (anything up to £2,000,000 apparently)on this review without having taken it to full commitee? Is their decision not 'ultra vires' ? (the legal term)

Further from that, we agreed that in the short term the aim must be to make as many Lewes residents as possible - whatever their views on the stadium - aware of the sums of their money being risked.

I said that a demonstration outside Council at the next meeting, and/or a picket of the council leader's home, was an ideal way of doing this, and that such actions would be hugely popular among Albion fans.

To my immense disappointment Martin and Dick are both against a demonstration, saying it would be counter productive and play into the hands of the council (who, along with their claims that football is a 'minority sport', that we 'only have 7,000 fans' and that the Albion 'is a club for Brighton residents only' also state that they are 'protecting local residents' by opposing the stadium - protecting them from US!!!) I guess Dick and Martin are worried that if several hundred of us descend on the council chamber in full voice the lily-livered Lib Dem tree huggers will have a collective heart attack, or something like that.

Their general feeling is that we play it down (though both found a Forfar's boycott amusing)
Thoughts please?

Rougvie

Rising Damp
Aug 29, 2003
Hove, f***ing ACTUALLY.

Dandyman

In London village.
attila said:
Spoke to Dick and Martin just now.

The view from the club is that LDC are wasting their electors' money on a pointless exercise and that as far as the Albion is concerned it is business as usual. The Albion's advisors have told them that there is no chance of such a review being successful.

Be that as it may, they would like as many people as possible, especially Lewes residents, to write to the District Auditor asking this question (copied to Lewes District Council and the leader Ann De Vecchi - Lord Bracknell, can you supply the relevant e and snail mail addresses?)

- Does Lewes District Council have the power to risk vast sums of electors' money (anything up to £2,000,000 apparently)on this review without having taken it to full commitee? Is their decision not 'ultra vires' ? (the legal term)

Further from that, we agreed that in the short term the aim must be to make as many Lewes residents as possible - whatever their views on the stadium - aware of the sums of their money being risked.

I said that a demonstration outside Council at the next meeting, and/or a picket of the council leader's home, was an ideal way of doing this, and that such actions would be hugely popular among Albion fans.

To my immense disappointment Martin and Dick are both against a demonstration, saying it would be counter productive and play into the hands of the council (who, along with their claims that football is a 'minority sport', that we 'only have 7,000 fans' and that the Albion 'is a club for Brighton residents only' also state that they are 'protecting local residents' by opposing the stadium - protecting them from US!!!) I guess Dick and Martin are worried that if several hundred of us descend on the council chamber in full voice the lily-livered Lib Dem tree huggers will have a collective heart attack, or something like that.

Their general feeling is that we play it down (though both found a Forfar's boycott amusing)
Thoughts please?

Thanks for the update, John.

IMO the msot effective action at this stage needs to come from residents in the LDC area (both Albion supporters and others) regarding the Council's cavalier attitude to spending the taxpayer's money.

If appropriate, polite letters to Baker asking him if he will stick to his stated position of accepting Prezza's decison might also be of use.

Their appeal is unlikely to succeed and I think we need to be careful not to provide them with ammo over "yobbo" fans.

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
I personally think that the average Lewes District tax payer needs to be made aware that the council is risking up to 18% of the yearly budget on this whim!

Dandyman

In London village.
Lammy said:
I personally think that the average Lewes District tax payer needs to be made aware that the council is risking up to 18% of the yearly budget on this whim!

:clap: Letter to the Sussex Express ?

Seagull's Return

Nov 7, 2003
Brighton
Thought something was up (haven't seen the papers or anything today yet): some vile Lewesian just had a pop at me in Tesco's petrol station forecourt about Falmer (must've seen the stickers in the car) - he very nearly got a nasty lesson in football yobbo there and then! However, his clear reluctance to discuss his comments at any length/get his squinty little face slapped in front of his outraged-of-Lewes wife meant that I just let him drive off with a cheery wave. Must be getting soft in my old age.

Still, f*** 'em - it's their council tax...

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
DannyBhoy said:
annoys the majority!!

:tosser:

4000 posts to your 800 hes been around longer than you son.

Ernest and his ARS - the TRUE voice of the fans.

Magoo OUT :angry: :angry: :angry:

Dandyman

In London village.
Seagull's Return said:
Thought something was up (haven't seen the papers or anything today yet): some vile Lewesian just had a pop at me in Tesco's petrol station forecourt about Falmer (must've seen the stickers in the car) - he very nearly got a nasty lesson in football yobbo there and then! However, his clear reluctance to discuss his comments at any length/get his squinty little face slapped in front of his outraged-of-Lewes wife meant that I just let him drive off with a cheery wave. Must be getting soft in my old age.

Still, f*** 'em - it's their council tax...

Good thing he was not Greek. :lolol:

I presume certain residents of Malling might object to money that could be spend on flood defences being misused on this vendetta ?

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
Letter i sent to Ann De Vinchi (or whatever the slags name is )....i'm yet to receive a reply

As a tax paying Lewes district council resident, I am absolutly disgusted by your descision to yet again, plough more tax payers money into opposing Brighton and Hove Albion's new stadium at Falmer.

Todays descision seems to have been taken without the views of the majority of LDC residents yet again and all for a stadium that is around 4 miles away from the towns nearest residential area.

Already, £207,000 has been spent. How much more of the town's money are you prepared to lose. As i look around the historic town, i see an under funded 100 year old open air swimming pol and next to it, a duck pond with half the water it should have and crumbling walls. I soon expect to see the most pathetic christmas decorations in living memory.

For as many years as i can remember, LDC have been faffing around with the Pells duck pond, spending a bit here, doing a patch up there and it remains in a shocking state. Instead of wasting further money on the vain attempt to stop the innevitable stadium build, why don't you put the tax payiung resident's money to good use and repair the pond once and for all. Give the residents something for the extortionate council tax you charge and try to justify the innevitable huge rise come next year instead of trying to satisfy your own political beliefs and prejudices.

You make me spit the lot of you and if i could afford to move out of this god forsaken hole they call Lewes (somewhere that i've lived for the last 36 years), i'd go tomorrow.

Stinky Kat

Tripping
Oct 27, 2004
Catsfield
we dont have a forfars in Hastings so I will boycott in spirit.

What about getting some info via Freedom of information on the costs of what Lewes are doing and then putting an advert in the local paper?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here