Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Just spoken to Dick Knight and Martin Perry re Lewes...

Lewesian Seagull

Jul 13, 2003
Lewes
Could still do with some wording.

If somebody can come up with something suitable this afternoon, I'll try and get it typed up and take some sheets to the match tomorrow to distibute to anybody who wants to be involved.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Something like this ?

Lewes District Council has decided to launch an appeal for a Judicial Review against the Governments recent decision to grant planning permission for a Community Stadium to be built at Falmer. LDC has opposed the stadium plans from the outset, and subsequently spent £207,000 of local council taxpayers money on legal fees to take the stadium plans through two public inquiries. Following this exhaustive legal process, John Prescott found in favour of Brighton and Hove Albion, and granted permission for the stadium to be built. LDC now wish to challenge this decision, and are filing to take the Government to the High Court with a view to reviewing the public inquiry process by which the Government reached their decision. In in the unlikely event of this being unheld, this in itself would not guarantee or obligate the Government to alter their decision on granting planning permission for the stadium. If unsuccessful, LDC will be responsible not only for their own legal costs of taking this to the High Court, but also the Governments. This would unquestionably run to tens, possibly hundreds of thousands of pounds of YOUR money.

If you object to LDC channelling further public funding towards pursuing this Judicial Review process, please sign your name and address below. Thank you.

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
Can we not just print off a few copies from our PC that we've knocked up ourselves.....eg

Please sign below if you disagree with Lewes District Council's descision to proceed with a judical review for Brighton and Hove Albion's new stadium at Falmer and therefore waste an obscene amount of residents money on something they will never win

Name signature Address

Etc etc...if anyone can say anything better, i'm open to offers but can't we just knock this up on our puters and get our friends, relatives, neighbours etc etc to sign it.

???

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
jevs said:
Can we not just print off a few copies from our PC that we've knocked up ourselves.....eg

Please sign below if you disagree with Lewes District Council's descision to proceed with a judical review for Brighton and Hove Albion's new stadium at Falmer and therefore waste an obscene amount of residents money on something they will never win

Name signature Address

Etc etc...if anyone can say anything better, i'm open to offers but can't we just knock this up on our puters and get our friends, relatives, neighbours etc etc to sign it.

???
No harm in that.
But I think the priority here is getting the consituents of Lewes District Council (which includes Seaford, Peacehaven etc), basically ANYONE who pays into LDC's coffers with their council tax, to sign a petition. It will carry far more relevence and far more weight than petitions from elsewhere in the county.

attila said:
Cheers for these - can you dig up the address of the District Auditor, Ed?

d-wells@audit-commission.gov.uk

Darren Wells
District Auditor and Relationship Manager
Ground Floor Front
16 South Park
Sevenoaks
Kent
TN13 1AN

IF people are going to write to the District Auditor, please bear in mind that he is NOT employed by Lewes District Council and therefore is NOT in our firing line.

Nor is he very interested in planning applications and the planning process.

His role is to provide external scrutiny of the financial affairs of local councils throughout the south-east (not just Lewes).

It might be worth asking him questions about whether Lewes District Council are being irresponsible in embarking on a course of action that could, if they lose, end up costing council tax payers a substantial sum of money.

He has powers to investigate local councils and might be interested in whether or not Lewes DC have properly investigated the potential costs of losing a Judicial Review case, if the Court awards costs against them.

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
Easy 10 said:
No harm in that.
But I think the priority here is getting the consituents of Lewes District Council (which includes Seaford, Peacehaven etc), basically ANYONE who pays into LDC's coffers with their council tax, to sign a petition. It will carry far more relevence and far more weight than petitions from elsewhere in the county.

Sorry m8....i was refferring to people from LDC areas. I can print out a few of the sheets as i've already said and get my neighbours, friends, work colleagues and family to sign....all are LDC residents.

My local is the Tally Ho and i can ask the landlord if i can get a few of the natives to sign in there.....they're a football loving lot in there and i know most of them !!!

:clap2:

Last edited:

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
Lewesian Seagull said:
Front cover sheet and signing sheets now done.

If you'd like me to e-mail them to you, send me a PM and I'll whizz them over.

Thanks geeza...printed out along with a further 5 sheets which just have "name, address and signature" at the top.

I'll get as many from my locality as poss and then, depending on how we've all done, maybe we should get together and hand the petitions to a representitive of our choosing.....an evening in the Lewes arms should do nicely to sort things out :drink:

Lewesian Seagull

Jul 13, 2003
Lewes
Yep, we'll have a meet up, I'd prefer The Gardeners (where I'll be in about half an hour:) but as long as there's beer involved I'm easy!

Muhammad - I’m hard - Bruce Lee

You can't change fighters
NSC Patron
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm
Lewesian Seagull said:
Yep, we'll have a meet up, I'd prefer The Gardeners (where I'll be in about half an hour:) but as long as there's beer involved I'm easy!
...............and the dreaded black rat cider!!!!!!!!!:drink:

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
jevs said:
Sorry m8....i was refferring to people from LDC areas. I can print out a few of the sheets as i've already said and get my neighbours, friends, work colleagues and family to sign....all are LDC residents.

My local is the Tally Ho and i can ask the landlord if i can get a few of the natives to sign in there.....they're a football loving lot in there and i know most of them !!!

:clap2:

I'll get signatures in Newhaven.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Not sure if this is any use but my boss used to lead Peacehaven Town council.
When Southern Water put in their initial application for the sewarage works at Portobello, Peacehaven said it was AONB. Lewes weren't bothered at all by that.

It was only when Peacehaven Town Council started kicking up a fuss that Lewes decided that they had to protect this AONB.
So they pick and choose what AONBs they want to protect,
Smacks of hypocrisy to me.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Yorkie said:
Not sure if this is any use but my boss used to lead Peacehaven Town council.
When Southern Water put in their initial application for the sewarage works at Portobello, Peacehaven said it was AONB. Lewes weren't bothered at all by that.

It was only when Peacehaven Town Council started kicking up a fuss that Lewes decided that they had to protect this AONB.
So they pick and choose what AONBs they want to protect,
Smacks of hypocrisy to me.

Hypocrisy is not wrong-Toads Hole, Waterhall, Sheepcote in their eyes are all suitable but that shitty frigging field is an AONB.

33057 Seagull

May 22, 2004
Over the border in Southwick
Letter just emailed to Argus.

Dear Editor,

Living in Adur, it is none of my business that a planned waste incinerator has been given the go ahead in Newhaven (Argus 24 November) although I do hold views from an environmental perspective.

I therefore find it surprising that Lewes District Council are to appeal for a Judicial Review on the decision for a Community Stadium, situated outside their area at the University sites in Moulsecombe. It has nothing to do with them nor will it affect their residents. As it is many Lewes District residents I know are in favour of this excellent sports facility.

I am so glad that I reside outside Lewes as I hate to think what increase in council tax is likely to be levied to Lewes District residents in the coming years . I understand any judicial review will cost in excess of £2,000,000.00 in addition to costs already incurred in several public enquiries & legal advice provided.

If this money is to be wasted then if I was a council tax payer in Lewes I would prefer this spent on an environmental assessment in disposing of the 210,000 tonnes of rubbish from all over Sussex carried by lorries, 7 days a week, as opposed to a football stadium used once or twice a week at the most by people conveyed on trains & buses.

If Lewes District Council really want to make an environmental impact they surely have the intelligence & wherewithal to spend council tax money wisely, whereas the current situation, to me does seem totally absurd.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Btw just so no-one can call me a NIMBY I don't have a problem with the incinerator at Newhaven.
Huddersfield had one for 9 years before I moved. There weren't any smells or nasty smoke coming out of it and no-one suffered any more ill health after it was built than before it.

Bakesy

Farting for ENGLAND!!!
Feb 13, 2005
How would i know?I'm pissed.
Yorkie said:
Btw just so no-one can call me a NIMBY I don't have a problem with the incinerator at Newhaven.
Huddersfield had one for 9 years before I moved. There weren't any smells or nasty smoke coming out of it and no-one suffered any more ill health after it was built than before it.
What about NIMBYETTE then?:lolol: ;)

33057 Seagull

May 22, 2004
Over the border in Southwick
Yorkie said:
I too have no problem with incinerators - they could put one at Shoreham Harbour for all I care. I think the issue for Lewes is whether they would rather have 210,000 tonnes of waste carried by what 20 lorries a day, 50, 100 - I don't know, through either Bedingham or the coast road through Peacehaven. OR a few football fans once a week NOT passing through their area but using in the main public transport, park & ride etc.

The solutions I would have thought for any incinerator at Newhaven which is right alongside the railway is to have waste transfer depots at the gypsum plant at Mountfield which is rail linked & another at Lovers Walk, Brighton, or the existing depot at Moulsecombe & take it by train.

Afterall it isn't rocket science, both Bristol, Manchester have been doing it for many years as well as London; the only difference is that these waste flows have ended up in landfills rather than burnt.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here