Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Just spoken to Dick Knight and Martin Perry re Lewes...

33057 Seagull said:
Letter just emailed to Argus.

Dear Editor,

Living in Adur, it is none of my business that a planned waste incinerator has been given the go ahead in Newhaven (Argus 24 November) although I do hold views from an environmental perspective....
Just to clarify one thing ...

The Newhaven incinerator hasn't yet been given the go ahead.

Onyx have submitted a planning application to East Sussex County Council, who are the planning authority that will take the decision (unless the application is called in by Prescott).

Lib Dem Lewes District Council are opposing the planning application.

The Tory County Council and the Labour controlled Brighton and Hove City Council (in their capacities as joint Waste Disposal Authorities) support the principle of incineration and have signed a contract with Onyx that effectively encourages them to build one somewhere, with Newhaven being the only identified site. But Onyx still have to get planning permission.

If anyone wonders why people in Lewes District vote Lib Dem, this is the reason.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
I'll do a door to door in Peacehaven, and then Seaford, and then Lewes.

We need a central body to organise this. Have we actually deceided on the text that will appear on the petition? Then maybe someone could host a word document online that the rest of us can download and print off.

Biscuit said:
Have we actually deceided on the text that will appear on the petition? Then maybe someone could host a word document online that the rest of us can download and print off.
The Falmer For All Team are on the case. Apart from several versions of the wording that have been posted on NSC, there are other Albion fans in Lewes District who haven't got internet access, who have been coming forward with suggestions for a petition.

The FFA view is that the most productive petition is one that concentrates on the "waste of council tax payers' money" type argument, because it will potentially attract a greater number of signatories.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Lord Bracknell said:
The Falmer For All Team are on the case. Apart from several versions of the wording that have been posted on NSC, there are other Albion fans in Lewes District who haven't got internet access, who have been coming forward with suggestions for a petition.

The FFA view is that the most productive petition is one that concentrates on the "waste of council tax payers' money" type argument, because it will potentially attract a greater number of signatories.

OK. Will they be avaliable to pick up tomorrow?

simon swagbag

Jul 8, 2003
Eastbourne
As a Seaford resident & Albion fan I am appalled by all this.
If they want to use my money to fight Prescott's decision then they're not getting my money.
I'll write a letter ofcourse & I'll keep on writing every time they send me a reminder.
I mean it, they're getting nothing out of me.

:angry:

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Lord Bracknell said:
Just to clarify one thing ...

The Newhaven incinerator hasn't yet been given the go ahead.

Onyx have submitted a planning application to East Sussex County Council, who are the planning authority that will take the decision (unless the application is called in by Prescott).

Lib Dem Lewes District Council are opposing the planning application.

The Tory County Council and the Labour controlled Brighton and Hove City Council (in their capacities as joint Waste Disposal Authorities) support the principle of incineration and have signed a contract with Onyx that effectively encourages them to build one somewhere, with Newhaven being the only identified site. But Onyx still have to get planning permission.

If anyone wonders why people in Lewes District vote Lib Dem, this is the reason.

I don't have a problem with the incinerator seeing as I lived within a mile of one in Huddersfield for 9 years.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Perhaps this thread could now be merged with the Petition one?

House to house is good - BUT you will get LOADS more names by having a few people in the towncentre on a Saturday morning (after all your 'customers' will come to you rather than having to knock on lots of doors)

As I said on another thread, if 3 or 4 people (must be LDC Council Tax Payers) could each cover the towncentres of Seaford, Newhaven, Peacehaven etc and of course Lewes next Saturday and explain to passers by how LDC intend to throw their Council Tax away then I feel that loads of names could be collected.

These names could then be presented to the Council at their meeting which I think is in the middle of the following week.

Several thousand names on a petition might suddenly start to seriously worry some of the wavering councillors.

After all - all they are interested in is getting reelected.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
I have written to Don Foster, Lib Dem spokesperson for Culture, Media & Sport, and (in previous correspondence with me) has shown himself to be a Falmer Supporter:

Mr Don Foster MP
31 James Street West
Bath BA1 2BT

25 November 2005

Dear Mr Foster,

Regarding your very pleasant note of 15th November (for which many
thanks), I'm afraid the "Battle of Brighton & Hove Albion" is set to
continue. You may be aware that Lewes District Council decided yesterday
(Thursday) to seek a Judicial Review of the ODPM's decision to grant
planning permission for the proposed stadium at Falmer in North East
Brighton. Whilst this is their legal right, one really has to question
their motivation. The stadium, after all, will be in Brighton & Hove,
not Lewes (although the site does border the Lewes boundary). The vast
majority of Lewes residents are known to be fully supportive of the
stadium plans - it is, of course, a Community Stadium not just for the
city of Brighton & Hove, but for the whole of Sussex. The very lengthy
Public Enquiry proved that Falmer is categorically the only suitable
site.

I'm rather afraid that a very small number of Lewes Councillors are
proposing the Judicial Review simply as a delaying tactic - with perhaps
the hope that in the meantime the football club will go out of business.
Unfortunately the process, if taken all the way, is likely to cost the
council tax payers of Lewes hundreds of thousands of pounds. You really
have to question whether this is a good use of public funds.

I realise that this is not a constituency matter (and I'm not even one
of your constituents). However, I'm writing to you in your capacity as
Liberal Democrat spokesperson on Culture, Media & Sport, and wondering
if there is anything you can do....Lewes District Council is Lib Dem,
and perhaps their councillors will listen to you? The vast majority of
Lewes residents, together with hundreds of thousands of sports lovers
throughout Sussex (and beyond), will surely hope so.

Muhammad - I’m hard - Bruce Lee

You can't change fighters
NSC Patron
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm
Yorkie said:
I don't have a problem with the incinerator seeing as I lived within a mile of one in Huddersfield for 9 years.
:clap: :lolol:

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
seagullion said:
...............and the dreaded black rat cider!!!!!!!!!:drink:

Ah, the notoriously naughty "out the back" cider that I've occassionally supped at the Surrey Oaks in Newdigate!! :drink: Lovely stuff!!

I don't really have anything to contribute to this thread other than to say that the residents of Lewes District really need to be the driving force behind any campaign to let their Council know that they aren't happy with what they are doing; and to wish you all well with your efforts.

For my part I've written a sympathetic letter to the Argus, so if you see something on the letters page from some bloke in Guildford then it may well be me.

Dandyman

In London village.
Just a quick thought - I think Lewes Farmers Market is the first Saturday of each month. That means there will be plenty of people in the Cliffe next Saturday, as well.

Dave the OAP

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Ernest said:
Ask them to sack Magoo to cheer everyone up :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

that is probaby the funniest thing written on here in months!:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

Your comedy timing is second to none

:clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

ARSE:wave:

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
Just emailed to editors of the Argus and Sussex Express

"Lewes District Council and its opposition to Falmer Community Stadium:
I find perplexing the decision of the Lewes District Council's Cabinet to seek a Judicial Review into the decision of the Deputy Prime Minister to grant planning permission for a new community stadium at Falmer. On what basis has that decision been made?

The Council states “there are alternative sites available which are more suitable for this development.” After 3 public inquiries all the evidence for Falmer and other sites has been heard. An independent Inspector has concluded that none of the sites suggested by Lewes District Council and others "are sufficiently advantageous that they represent feasible, practical and realistic alternatives that should be preferred to Falmer." "There is no reasonable prospect of planning permission being granted for a community stadium at any of them" said the Inspector.

The council website states that it must pursue the matter because the Deputy Prime Minister's decision “conflicts with his own governments planning guidance designed to protect Areas of Outstanding Natural Beauty against this sort of development.” Lewes D.C. has demonstrated an inconsistent approach to ANOBs. At the last Inquiry it put forward as an option Toads Hall Valley. Yet this site is within the AONB whereas the proposed development at Falmer would use part a Brownfield site where buildings already exist. It is also surrounded by University buildings, a railway station and a major 4 lane highway. Past redevelopments at Glyndebourne Opera and Goodwood racecourse have already shown that ANOBs are no impediment to development.

The Cabinet want to spend a further £100,000 or more of Taxpayers money on a Review. Yet here in Seaford we are told that the council is so short of funds that local services have been cut and next year further reductions in services will take place. How then does the Council justify further expenditure on opposing the Falmer development when there are so many other pressing claims for Council Tax?

There must be a full Council debate on this matter before any further Taxpayers money is spent and the public should be informed of the future costs to Lewes D.C. bearing in mind that they will have to meet the legal expenses of the Government if the Review goes against Lewes D.C."

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Gaffer said:
Just emailed to editors of the Argus and Sussex Express

"Lewes District Council and its opposition to Falmer Community Stadium:
I find perplexing the decision of the Lewes District Council's Cabinet to seek a Judicial Review into the decision of the Deputy Prime Minister to grant planning permission for a new community stadium at Falmer. On what basis has that decision been made?

The Council states “there are alternative sites available which are more suitable for this development.” After 3 public inquiries all the evidence for Falmer and other sites has been heard. An independent Inspector has concluded that none of the sites suggested by Lewes District Council and others "are sufficiently advantageous that they represent feasible, practical and realistic alternatives that should be preferred to Falmer." "There is no reasonable prospect of planning permission being granted for a community stadium at any of them" said the Inspector.

The council website states that it must pursue the matter because the Deputy Prime Minister's decision “conflicts with his own governments planning guidance designed to protect Areas of Outstanding Natural Beauty against this sort of development.” Lewes D.C. has demonstrated an inconsistent approach to ANOBs. At the last Inquiry it put forward as an option Toads Hall Valley. Yet this site is within the AONB whereas the proposed development at Falmer would use part a Brownfield site where buildings already exist. It is also surrounded by University buildings, a railway station and a major 4 lane highway. Past redevelopments at Glyndebourne Opera and Goodwood racecourse have already shown that ANOBs are no impediment to development.

The Cabinet want to spend a further £100,000 or more of Taxpayers money on a Review. Yet here in Seaford we are told that the council is so short of funds that local services have been cut and next year further reductions in services will take place. How then does the Council justify further expenditure on opposing the Falmer development when there are so many other pressing claims for Council Tax?

There must be a full Council debate on this matter before any further Taxpayers money is spent and the public should be informed of the future costs to Lewes D.C. bearing in mind that they will have to meet the legal expenses of the Government if the Review goes against Lewes D.C."

Excellentl :clap2:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here