Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Just how deluded are Southampton

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
To be fair, we will always defend our teams to the end..... Did Soton have a goal disallowed? Yes. For me there is nothing else for them to complain about. Harding undoubtedly got away with the type of challenge that these days is a straight red card. Lambert struck/pushed AEA in the face, straight red. Greer elbow - straight red, no complaints.

Soton the better team? For 20 mins at the end of the first half probably yes. Up until then we were comfortable, had more possession and they looked like a team out of form and ideas. Lallana was disappointing, Lambert was quiet until the sending off and without these two firing they are distinctly average.

Well summarised, can't disagree with any of that.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
My first post on here, so please be gentle. I have looked at NSC for some time, but was moved to register the other day to respond to this thread. it's taken a couple of days to sort out. A previous poster has commented on what a lousy paper the Echo is and i would second that. living just outside Southampton, I only buy it when they are playing Brighton. Incidentally, my first match was late 60's, I think on Boxing day when a young John Templeman had Rodney Marsh "in his pocket", as the expression goes.

The Echo coverage of Monday's match was hilarious - four articles all saying the same thing, as my brother pointed out, because i sent him a copy as well. he showed it to his boss, who had been at the match, and who said he did not recognise the description of the match. They thought the referee was rubbish, and all the other misconceptions that have already been highlighted on here. But there was also a bit from Dean Hammond "Don't blame ricky for the defeat", which to me seems tantamount to an admission that they would have lost even if he had stayed on.

I was also listening to it on radio Solent some of the afternoon. After the lambert sending off there was an immediate assumption that because AEA had previous of falling over for no apparent reason when an opponent comes within 10 yards - not their wording but you will know what I mean - that they would like to see an action replay of it. At least the Echo, to its (minor) credit, printed a picyure on its back page of Ricky lambert with his hand firmly and unmistakeably in AEA's face.

There was also a headline on the back page from Nigel Adkins saying "We will still win this League". When does self-belief become arrogance or delusion, as per the title of this thread. The "we're a bigger club than you" stuff is coming through loud and clear from some - not from all. Reminds me of Leeds United somehow. I have very mixed feelings about this, wanting them to succeed because most of my friends support them, but I was extremely happy on Monday evening and would love to see us meet them and beat them in the playoffs... or the FA Cup or anywhere else.

And my next post will be to about the ridiculous "best guitarist" list - Duane Allman only at no 47? ridiculous.

redneb

Oct 28, 2009
Burgess Hill
My first post on here, so please be gentle. I have looked at NSC for some time, but was moved to register the other day to respond to this thread. it's taken a couple of days to sort out. A previous poster has commented on what a lousy paper the Echo is and i would second that. living just outside Southampton, I only buy it when they are playing Brighton. Incidentally, my first match was late 60's, I think on Boxing day when a young John Templeman had Rodney Marsh "in his pocket", as the expression goes.

The Echo coverage of Monday's match was hilarious - four articles all saying the same thing, as my brother pointed out, because i sent him a copy as well. he showed it to his boss, who had been at the match, and who said he did not recognise the description of the match. They thought the referee was rubbish, and all the other misconceptions that have already been highlighted on here. But there was also a bit from Dean Hammond "Don't blame ricky for the defeat", which to me seems tantamount to an admission that they would have lost even if he had stayed on.

I was also listening to it on radio Solent some of the afternoon. After the lambert sending off there was an immediate assumption that because AEA had previous of falling over for no apparent reason when an opponent comes within 10 yards - not their wording but you will know what I mean - that they would like to see an action replay of it. At least the Echo, to its (minor) credit, printed a picyure on its back page of Ricky lambert with his hand firmly and unmistakeably in AEA's face.

There was also a headline on the back page from Nigel Adkins saying "We will still win this League". When does self-belief become arrogance or delusion, as per the title of this thread. The "we're a bigger club than you" stuff is coming through loud and clear from some - not from all. Reminds me of Leeds United somehow. I have very mixed feelings about this, wanting them to succeed because most of my friends support them, but I was extremely happy on Monday evening and would love to see us meet them and beat them in the playoffs... or the FA Cup or anywhere else.

And my next post will be to about the ridiculous "best guitarist" list - Duane Allman only at no 47? ridiculous.

Say what you like. Brighton won because they got RL sent of in the same way Portugal got Rooney sent off. Oh and the ref couldn't see this below.

BrightonCheating.jpg

Thats all I have left to say.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Say what you like. Brighton won because they got RL sent of in the same way Portugal got Rooney sent off. Oh and the ref couldn't see this below.

BrightonCheating.jpg

Brighton did not win because 'they'got fatty sent off. The sending off changed a game that was up to that point well-balanced, unlike your predictable view, and Lambert is wholly to blame. As others have said, we accept Greer was out of line and deserved to go. Why is it so hard for you to condemn your player for his blatant indiscretion?

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Brighton won because they got RL sent of in the same way Portugal got Rooney sent off. Oh and the ref couldn't see this below.

You are making a mother of assumptions suggesting we would not have won had that goal stood.

A still of a video is inconclusive. The referee had to make a decision based on real time happenings as opposed to eagerly waiting until 00:52 of the video and freezing the frame.

How is the Rickie Lambert vs El-Abd even remotely similar to Rooney vs Portugal? Other than they were both rightly sent off for violent conduct?

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

BrightonCheating.jpg

As others said, that pic proves nothing as you can't tell if the ball's on the ground or off the floor. If it's on the ground i'd GUESS it's a goal - if it's in the air i'd GUESS it's not. I think it was just in but not the '3 foot' over the line people have said / assumed. They need to learn perception. Anyways Ben, I don't know why you'restill moaning about it - a couple of decisions went against you - same as us at St Marys (and yes you're right, we'd have most likely lost anyway). You're top of thelg - just move on- it's one win each this season and you're hansomly above us as many Albion tohught would happen - it shows how well wedid last yr too. When we lost at St Marys - despite some appauling decisions - i didnt bother with nsc as i knew they'd be the yusual drivel and i thought we'd have prob lost anyway - who knows - that's football...

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Whereas I would like to see Southampton's season turning to custard, just to witness by redneb's subsequent spontaneous combustion.

Well that too I suppose considering it is their divine right to win the league this season.

Surrey Phil

Aug 3, 2010
Still don't think the ball was over the line and the history books will always show BHA beat Southampton 3 - 0. Am I the only Albion fan that confidentally thinks we will finish above Souhampton (yet again) come the end of the season?

Last edited:

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
At least Redneb's last post illustrates how clueless and biased he is about football generally

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
Considering Rooney got sent off for stamping on a man's CROTCH, I think rednob's obviously trying to say that Lambert deserved to go. It took a while, but he got there.

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean

BrightonCheating.jpg

:lol: another redneb classic "Brighton got fatty sent off" - I suppose el abd used powers of the mind to force the fat one's hand into his face, priceless!

Think you'll find it's also more likely that in reference to the non goal the ref would have looked to his assistant for clarification regarding if the ball had crossed the line don't you?

Looking forward to your next instalment...... :wave:

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Am I the only Albion fan that confidentally thinks we will finish above Souhampton (yet again) come the end of the season?

You're the only Albion fan who thinks that is a word.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here