Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Just how deluded are Southampton

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Funny thing is I think most of us would agree that when Palace beat us we acknowledged that we was beaten by the better team on the day.

Yes it f***ing hurt like hell (still does) but Palace deserved their win.

Its not so difficult just admitting that the better team (on the day) won.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Exactly. Despite the ridiculous penalty decision at St Mary's (and countless other refereeing errors) I don't think anyone can deny SCC were the better team and fully deserved to win. All we've heard from Southampton since Monday's game finished was how unjustified Lambert's red card was and how it influenced the result (strange isn't it, that going down to ten men has a decisive effect when a team loses but makes no difference - even helps a team ("teams sometimes play better with ten men") when they get a result... Didn't seem to effect Man City much against Liverpool the other night.....

Would be nice, wouldn't it, if even ONE Southampton fan came on here and said "Well done, a few decisions went your way, but you deserved to win". No chance.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
So our win at the Withdean doesnt count then coz you had nothing riding on it? No you didnt care did you? Thats why you had hate banners all over the place and there were threads galore about wanting to batter us. You clearly didnt want this one and Poyet had absolutely nothing against us.

All this "when it matters" crap. Fact is you beat us by 3 points after a 46 game season and we are now 12 points above you in the NPC with a 21 better goal difference.

Let's look at the results shall we?

MARCH:
WIN
WIN
WIN
WIN
WIN
WIN
WIN
WIN
APRIL:
DRAW
WIN
WIN (Won promotion)
WIN (Won the league), then
LOSS
DRAW
LOSS
DRAW

If you think that is pure coincidence, you are more deluded than anyone else here. Our season ENDED at the final whistle of the Walsall game. We had banners at the Saints game proudly proclaiming how much better we were than you.

OF COURSE we wanted to beat you, but no one really gave a shit that we didn't, the war had already been won aaages ago. That game DID NOT MATTER.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
In other words a pound per point and a pound per goal difference at the end of the season, and add £33 to your balance. Could work. Could we bring the fair play league into this at all? :lol:

The official Football League 'discipline table' has you as dirtier than us, on account of being foul-ier...

Code:
Club	          F	Y	R	P
Portsmouth	287	43	2	0
Leeds United	279	39	5	3
Millwall	278	40	0	3
Southampton	278	32	3	0
Watford	        278	31	1	2
Crystal Palace	271	34	0	0
Hull City	266	42	1	0
Nottm Forest	265	36	2	1
Derby County	265	35	1	3
Brighton	262	57	5	3
Coventry City	257	29	2	2
Leicester City	255	38	5	5
West Ham Utd	251	38	3	1
Reading	        247	35	0	1
Bristol City	243	39	0	2
Barnsley	241	31	1	6
Doncaster	239	40	2	3
Middlesbrough	234	41	2	1
Peterborough	230	30	2	2
Ipswich Town	229	30	3	3
Burnley	        228	36	2	2
Cardiff City	228	31	0	2
Birmingham	200	29	1	1
Blackpool	194	35	1	0

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Funny thing is I think most of us would agree that when Palace beat us we acknowledged that we was beaten by the better team on the day.

Yes it f***ing hurt like hell (still does) but Palace deserved their win.

Its not so difficult just admitting that the better team (on the day) won.

Palace did, there was no luck involved. However, Stains have shown very bad grace at their dismay over being so well beaten. Makes no odds about balance of play, it's about goals and 3-0 is no fluke. Saints fans need to realise that they're not as good as they think, just like we did after Palace.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Exactly. Despite the ridiculous penalty decision at St Mary's (and countless other refereeing errors) I don't think anyone can deny SCC were the better team and fully deserved to win. All we've heard from Southampton since Monday's game finished was how unjustified Lambert's red card was and how it influenced the result (strange isn't it, that going down to ten men has a decisive effect when a team loses but makes no difference - even helps a team ("teams sometimes play better with ten men") when they get a result... Didn't seem to effect Man City much against Liverpool the other night.....

Would be nice, wouldn't it, if even ONE Southampton fan came on here and said "Well done, a few decisions went your way, but you deserved to win". No chance.

To be fair, on their own boards several have.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
OF COURSE we wanted to beat you, but no one really gave a shit that we didn't, the war had already been won aaages ago. That game DID NOT MATTER.
I think that's a slight revision of history. If you think Gus Poyet didn't desperately want us to beat Southampton with all that daft war of words going on, and the whole club didn't have it's sights set on both the 100 point mark and an unbeaten home record, then you are either deluded or lying in an effort at point scoring.

There is absolutely no way Albion were indifferent to the outcome of the Southampton home game, although you might conclude that Southampton wanted it more than we did because ultimately they needed it more than we did.

And Southampton basically did all the hard work for Huddersfield a fortnight later. A game truly nobody here really gave a shit about.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
The official Football League 'discipline table' has you as dirtier than us, on account of being foul-ier...

Code:
Club	          F	Y	R	P
Portsmouth	287	43	2	0
Leeds United	279	39	5	3
Millwall	278	40	0	3
Southampton	278	32	3	0
Watford	        278	31	1	2
Crystal Palace	271	34	0	0
Hull City	266	42	1	0
Nottm Forest	265	36	2	1
Derby County	265	35	1	3
Brighton	262	57	5	3
Coventry City	257	29	2	2
Leicester City	255	38	5	5
West Ham Utd	251	38	3	1
Reading	        247	35	0	1
Bristol City	243	39	0	2
Barnsley	241	31	1	6
Doncaster	239	40	2	3
Middlesbrough	234	41	2	1
Peterborough	230	30	2	2
Ipswich Town	229	30	3	3
Burnley	        228	36	2	2
Cardiff City	228	31	0	2
Birmingham	200	29	1	1
Blackpool	194	35	1	0

Absolutely staggering that we are 10th out of 24 in terms of fouls, yet have picked up 57 yellows and 5 reds! Implies that our fouls are dirtier than other teams. Really?! What a joke.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I think that's a slight revision of history. If you think Gus Poyet didn't desperately want us to beat Southampton with all that daft war of words going on, and the whole club didn't have it's sights set on both the 100 point mark and an unbeaten home record, then you are either deluded or lying in an effort at point scoring.

There is absolutely no way Albion were indifferent to the outcome of the Southampton home game, although you might conclude that Southampton wanted it more than we did because ultimately they needed it more than we did.

And Southampton basically did all the hard work for Huddersfield a fortnight later. A game truly nobody here really gave a shit about.

Read my bit you quote again. OF COURSE wanted to win it, but ultimately the biggest prize was already ours and that was what really mattered. You honestly saying we'd have rather come second but keep the unbeaten at home record and the 100 points? (Impossible if coming 2nd, I know)

Yeah, they wanted to win. But obviously Saints wanted (nay, NEEDED) it much, much, much more than us.

Basil Fawlty

Don't Mention The War
albion3saints0.jpg

:lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Agree entirely - I think everyone involved with the Albion, most notably Gus and the players really did want to beat Southampton on that day in order to prove a point. However, subconsciously or not, the players will have eased off ever so slightly. Against a team as talented as Southampton, who also had a massive desire and need to win, there was only ever likely to be one winner.

We have good form for losing focus when the job is done and dusted - I'm sure many will remember how Shrewsbury stuffed the champions, us, at their place when it looked as though our players were as pissed up as we were on the terraces.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Agree entirely - I think everyone involved with the Albion, most notably Gus and the players really did want to beat Southampton on that day in order to prove a point. However, subconsciously or not, the players will have eased off ever so slightly. Against a team as talented as Southampton, who also had a massive desire and need to win, there was only ever likely to be one winner.

We have good form for losing focus when the job is done and dusted - I'm sure many will remember how Shrewsbury stuffed the champions, us, at their place when it looked as though our players were as pissed up as we were on the terraces.

Quite. I don't doubt that we definitely wanted to win it, but in the grand scheme of things, it wasn't that important. The history books will say that we were champions and Saints came 2nd, that is all that'll matter.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Yep, remember that. Good day out in a nice town, ruined by a really crap 90 minutes (Lee Steele was particularly gash as I recall) and their fans coming on the pitch and cringingly clapping our fans.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Right

Lets say right now that if FFS Murray hadnt have been substituted/injured against Saints at withers then we would have won. Just like he changed the game at St Marys when Gus decided 10 v 11 (coz he chose Batti to start) wasnt a good idea after the first half battering.

Now f*** OFF Saints we have Palace coming up and its MORE important.

redneb

Oct 28, 2009
Burgess Hill
Absolutely staggering that we are 10th out of 24 in terms of fouls, yet have picked up 57 yellows and 5 reds! Implies that our fouls are dirtier than other teams. Really?! What a joke.

A foul is a foul. It happens it football. But to brandish a card of any colour it needs to warrant poor sportsmanship or dirty play.

It just show that Poyet is hardly one to be keen on discipline or fair play. On Monday, it just all went against us. Call it bad luck/whatever, our players just took it and just accepted it was a bad day at the office. We plugged away as much as we could but we were never gonna get back into it with Lambo and Guly off. However, at our place when it all went against you, your players lost all discipline like I've never seen before. Even the captain lost it. Your players were visibly upset and shouted at the ref for every little decision that went against them. Thats why the below exists. You cant deny Poyet needs to address this.

English League Championship Fair Play Statistics - 2011-12 - ESPN Soccernet

Some of you who think we are bad losers seem to forget one key point. Before RL was sent off, we were clearly the better team. You were not that at SMS before Taricco got his marching orders.

Last edited:

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Seems to me that nobody has really decided what provoked GG to retaliate and get himself a red card. He's had the occasional rush of blood we all know but what was it that made him lash out ?

Of course it couldn't have been something a stains player did surely ? I mean, every player gets worked up despite the opposition being soundly beaten don't they ?

I see Stains fans call us cheats, bit of a case of takes one to know one I reckon.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
On Monday, it just all went against us. Call it bad luck/whatever, our players just took it and just accepted it was a bad day at the office. We plugged away as much as we could but we were never gonna get back into it with Lambo and Guly off. However, at our place when it all went against you, your players lost all discipline like I've never seen before. Even the captain lost it. Your players were visibly upset and shouted at the ref for every little decision that went against them. Thats why the below exists. You cant deny Poyet needs to address this.

Before RL was sent off, we were clearly the better team. You were not that at SMS before Taricco got his marching orders.

1. You had NO decisions on Monday even a QUARTER as bad as the fake penalty at SMS. So you can't compare.

2. You were NOT "clearly" the better team. The game was end-to-end, in the balance, and we were improving as it went.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Can we close this thread now?

Its ONLY Southampton for FFS and the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here