Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Jumper at Norwood Junction last night

Virgo's Haircut

Resident Train Guru
Jul 5, 2003
On a train...
dave the gaffer said:
You are a Train Driver ...what do you feel about it? as you are the only one actually qualified to talk about this

I'm not actually a driver, I'm a guard.

I've seen one of the drivers shortly after a fatality, the poor guy was in a terrible state.

I can't imagine what it's like to see that with your very own eyes, it must be a dreadful thing to see.

I was at Victoria last night about 8pm and it was utter chaos trains severly delayed and quite a few cancelled. The power had to be switced off at East Croydon as it's on the same circuit as Norwood. Some of the passenger were blaming the train crews for the delays calling us, and I quote "f***ing wankers", and who cares if some poor sod has been killed by train.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
dtg - I am concerned for the train driver, he now has to live in the knowledge that he has killed someone through absolutely no fault of his own, just minding his business and going about his daily job. He will probably be sat at home now wondering why it had to be him, what he did to deserve that, I doubt if anyone can say anything to offer him any crumb of comfort in the fact that it was not his fault. He may suffer from nightmares as a result and could quite possibly choose never to drive a train again, who knows.

I suppose it depends on how people view the act of taking ones own life, whether it is considered selfish or an act of extreme desperation.

nomad_seagull

Jul 27, 2004
dave the gaffer said:
probably...we dont know?

What do you think of the train driver that had to witness this?

I think we can probably assume this individual was desperate, you'd have to be to do this.

I'm really at a loss to see why so many are so vociferous because they were delayed (and yes I do have experience of commuting and have been held up by this in the past). When it has happened to me a moments irritation at a "selfish" act is pretty rapidly overtaken by a feel of sorrow for that individual and their family.

While some of you were moaning about the time taken to get home or having dinner an hour later than normal, some mother/father/spouse/child was getting some pretty shi**y news that affects the rest of their lives.

Squiggsy

Oct 26, 2003
Worthing
I'd have thought that the point was that there are other ways of topping yourself without affecting 1,000's of people in addition to the friends and family etc who are going to go through the mill as a result anyway.

The person might be desperate etc, but it's still utterly selfish.

Awaits flames.....

HampshireSeagulls

Moulding Generation Z
Jul 19, 2005
Bedford
Hm. Lots of macho posturing on here about death, which is easy when you are kept away from it and your main concern is keeping hold of a briefcase with your sandwiches in. Hands up all those that have seen dead bodies close up, or been around someone that has died traumatically?

<<tumbleweed blows through>>

Thought so.

I hope your fraught-with-danger commuting is not interrupted by something as simple as a mental health patient jumping under your carriage - or that you remember this thread if one of your relatives or friends does the same.

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
tedebear said:
A little sympathy should be in order for this poor person...OK so your evening is stuffed up - but is that camparable to a life?

:clap2: More than likely that said person was suffering from a mental illness like clinical depression to do something like that. Remember 1 in 3 people (like you and I) will suffer from depression in their life and for some unlucky sods (1 in 10) it'll develop into the clinical form, which is quite literally a killer illness.(it's also the 3rd highest cause of death in male age gp 18-35). It inconvenienced you, but for many affected relatives and friends you could be mocking their next of kin for the poor sod dying from something that they'll draw comparison with cancer etc - but even that is perhaps easier to come to terms with than suicide.

I hope you never suffer from such an illness yourself (or live with someone you love dearly who has it) as you wouldn't be so quick to make fun of them I GUARANTEE you. Of course, sympathy to the train driver but somebody has died here from sheer despair. Commenting so callously is in very poor taste in my opinion

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Brighton Bloke said:
Just a thought. Can you imagine the disruption if the 'jumper' had decided to jump just one week later!! on the

18th!!!!!!

In and around

Norwood Junction

I reckon that if we get another hammering there could be quite a few jumpers there abot 22.00 !

HampshireSeagulls

Moulding Generation Z
Jul 19, 2005
Bedford
Brighton Bloke said:
I cannot belivee this is/was not worthy of a response.

I can't believe you are bumping up your own post in order to get a response to it!

If it was worthy of a response, then someone would have done it first time round. Desperation is such an unattractive trait.....

Gully

Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Yet again a post on NSC turns into a heated debate with posters divided almost completely into opposing camps with their views, whilst it is a difficult topic to talk about the fact that so many are prepared to join in is a good thing.

Suicide affects many people in lots of different ways and there are many causes, whether it is the individual who completes the act, their family and friends (if they had any), the person who discovers them, witnesses or as in this case an unwilling participant, namely the train driver.

My first experience of suicide was at the age of 10-11 when two elderly neighbours decided that life was too much and ended it all in their garage with their car and a length of hosepipe. They had clearly given this much consideration and left a note for the milkman explaining what they had done, he had the unfortunate job of finding them and turning the engine off, they were by that time already dead. I wondered what had been so bad that they felt they could not go on any more and although they were always complaining about us kids playing football near their house weren't really that bad. They had no family and few real friends and just felt that life was no longer worth living, when you are stuck on a train for an extra hour or have to miss that pint in your local on the way home for your dinner just be greatful that your life is better, for the moment...

aftershavedave

Jul 9, 2003
as 10cc say, not in hove
HampshireSeagulls said:
Hm. Lots of macho posturing on here about death, which is easy when you are kept away from it and your main concern is keeping hold of a briefcase with your sandwiches in. Hands up all those that have seen dead bodies close up, or been around someone that has died traumatically?

Thought so.

I hope your fraught-with-danger commuting is not interrupted by something as simple as a mental health patient jumping under your carriage - or that you remember this thread if one of your relatives or friends does the same.

seems to me that the macho posturing is coming from you if anyone.

i guess you're in the forces or something similar?

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
dave the gaffer said:

That is who I feel sorry for. If someone feels so low that they feel they have to end it all, then that is of course a tragedy and a waste of life, however to do it in such a way that you directly chose to affect other people's lives, then that is pure selfishness - and i am not referring to us poor commuting sods who have to do it to earn a wage.

You have an opinion but trust me, you really have NO IDEA what you're talking about. Your lack of experience in these matters is more than evident by your comments. Be gratious enough to stop writing anymore provoking statements like "well they could have hanged themselves because that's more convenient....." Judging the method of their death in such a crude manner is simply ridiculous because anyone who feels so ill they want to kill themselves is not even remotely thinking rationally. Said person has died from a mental state of mind/illness and that's a tragedy. The sooner this thread drops down to the vaults of NSC postings the better. This is my last post on the matter therefore.

Parson Henry

Jan 6, 2004
Victor Bhanerjee's notebook
HampshireSeagulls said:
I can't believe you are bumping up your own post in order to get a response to it!

If it was worthy of a response, then someone would have done it first time round. Desperation is such an unattractive trait.....

Sorry Hampshire, I actually thought it was worthy of a view as it certainly passed though my mind whilst I sat for over an hour on train last night. Without anyway way wishing to dismiss the tragedy and resultant inconvience to travellers, had this happened the week after it would have caused mayhem.

Please don't make unnecessary personal comments to boost your image on this board. I found the last comment extremely foolish.

I rarely get worked up on this board but find you have succeeded where many others have failed.

I hope I have made my point. If you choose to respond with clever
words I will ignore as these things get painful for all and sundry.
However please feel free to PM me to continue this discussion.

Desperation my arse.

Best Regards

BB

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Gully said:
Yet again a post on NSC turns into a heated debate with posters divided almost completely into opposing camps with their views, whilst it is a difficult topic to talk about the fact that so many are prepared to join in is a good thing.

Suicide affects many people in lots of different ways and there are many causes, whether it is the individual who completes the act, their family and friends (if they had any), the person who discovers them, witnesses or as in this case an unwilling participant, namely the train driver.

My first experience of suicide was at the age of 10-11 when two elderly neighbours decided that life was too much and ended it all in their garage with their car and a length of hosepipe. They had clearly given this much consideration and left a note for the milkman explaining what they had done, he had the unfortunate job of finding them and turning the engine off, they were by that time already dead. I wondered what had been so bad that they felt they could not go on any more and although they were always complaining about us kids playing football near their house weren't really that bad. They had no family and few real friends and just felt that life was no longer worth living, when you are stuck on a train for an extra hour or have to miss that pint in your local on the way home for your dinner just be greatful that your life is better, for the moment...

There's just two complaining, neither of whom commute, see any difference ?

As has been said by others we all have sympathy with the person who jumped but (and speaking as somebody who's come pretty close to this in the past) if you wnant to end it all why be so selfishas to cause problems for others ? It's hardly likely that they're responsible for the suicide's situation.

You're just trying to justify your original post in face of serious opposition.

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
HampshireSeagulls said:

Thought so.

I am with you on that.

During my lifetime I have lost a close friend to suicide and my former father-in-law who shot himself. In addition an ex partner of mine tried to O/D twice and was stomach-pumped in A&E just in time.

I can assure people there was nothing SELFISH about any of these acts. They were acts of total desparation, when these people could see no way out. Often suicides look for the nearest way out (whether it be a railway bridge or a noose on a stairwell) rather than thinking of the consequences of their actions.

Certainly in the case of my friend Andy and my former father-in-law we all felt immense pity and sadness that we could not have helped them before they could see no other way.

Gully

Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
bhaexpress - I don't feel any need to justify anything I post, all I am saying is that it appears that some on here are prepared to look at the wider picture and consider the causes and effects, whilst at the same time some are somewhat blinkered in their outlook.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Gully said:
bhaexpress - I don't feel any need to justify anything I post, all I am saying is that it appears that some on here are prepared to look at the wider picture and consider the causes and effects, whilst at the same time some are somewhat blinkered in their outlook.

I don't think so, I've been badly delayed thanks to somebody jumping in front a train several times in the past, I even missed a hoke game once because of it. The point is quite simple, why incovenience others just because you're sick of living ? That is just plain selfish.

rospants

off to ronan in the park!
Jul 11, 2005
brighton
jumpers never do it in the morning do they?, it always in the evennig when your trying to get home:angry:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here